It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Religion Can't Be Declared The Correct One

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
When talking with people who are religious, I notice that many of them seem absolutely sure that it is correct. With the most commonly encountered one Christianity, the Bible is always seen as a historical record of these events, making them factual. However this falls apart when met with a simple fact: There have been thousands of religions throughout the history of man.

They basically all maintain the belief that their religion is correct, however if only one can be correct, the mathemetical odds of that being reality is very slim, 1% with an incredibly generous estimate, realisically more like 0.01%-0.001%, if not less. But then it's an issue of "faith", and "knowing" that yours is the correct one. However covincing this may sound to the one who believes that, it's simply not true.

No matter how strong you believe it's true, or whether you "feel" God and "speak" to him, that's simply the effect of believing in it for so long. Most people are raised in an environment of people who share the same religion. Naturally, being ingrained in something for your whole life will have you strongly attached to it. But this would be the case for people of other religions.

If a person who is Buddhist or some tribal religion that none of us have ever heard of since birth, they will share the same feelings towards the accuracy of their religion versus others. When looked at it from this perspective, it boils down to a statistical chance of being the correct religion. Sure, there may be some old book that is supposedly the word of your deity, but again, most religions also have some historical accounts. Some might be more thorough and detailed than others, but that's not an indication of the accuracy of the account, instead the effort put into into it.

The fully objective and non-biased scientific method, which is currently the most effective method of establishing what is factual and what is false, has produced theories backed by mountains of evidence that fly in the face of a religious teaching which is a contradiction of thousands of others. So the whole evolution vs. creationism, deity vs. natural explanation debate boils down to the blind faith in the teachings of one of thousands of religions which have next to no evidence other than a story backing them, versus the most widely accepted scientific theory.

If you are interested in understanding human life, consciousness, and all of that stuff, a religious book is not the place to learn. Science can further mankinds understanding of the universe, but religion tends to divide us and hold back civilizations overall intelligence level by copping out for the necessity to actually learn things by replacing that with some silly fairy tale.

Not only does it do that, but in the past, religion has blocked/suppressed certain scientific discoveries. Looked at from this perspective, it's actually detrimental to the human species. Luckily things like that don't happen any more, but the past can't be erased, and those people who engaged in such a stupid campaign believed in the same religion as many of you still do.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Your right in believing totally separate religions is folly. There is no way for any of us to know outside of that feeling that we get in our stomachs when we contemplate for ourselves.

What is important is to realize that it is an individual choice to choose what you believe and not your job to teach others the "right way".

Sadly, human nature does not allow for this and as a result you have nut jobs running around starting holy wars because anyone that doesn't believe what they believe should be purged from humanity. This is not just radical Islamist behavior however and can be seen to a lesser extent by the baptist community in America's bible belt.

Believe what you want, live your life how best you think you should, draw the line in thinking that others should be living the same way you do and the world will be a better place for it........ guaranteed.
edit on 25-11-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Why do you care what people believe in or think about something? Seriously just deal with your own life and leave everyone else to do whatever the hell they want.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

There is not only one answer/pov, everyone experiences a different version of the truth but none of them are the truth. What colour do you experience when viewing purple? Is your purple less true than my purple?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Not only does it do that, but in the past, religion has blocked/suppressed certain scientific discoveries. Looked at from this perspective, it's actually detrimental to the human species.

Yay - another regurgitated rant...

Actually religion is good for all - it helps each of us appreciate and utilize our own imagination...

That's All you had to say, instead of 7 watered down paragraphs...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Another regurgitated fact.

Actually religion is good for all - it helps each of us appreciate and utilize our own imagination...

No, I actually made a lot more points than just that, that's just the one you selected. For example:

They basically all maintain the belief that their religion is correct, however if only one can be correct, the mathemetical odds of that being reality is very slim, 1% with an incredibly generous estimate, realisically more like 0.01%-0.001%, if not less.

edit on 25-11-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
One might delcare their religion as the right one, and they're right--that is, until an independent review takes place.
edit on 25-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

How about we declare all religions the "wrong" one...

Read for yourself, don't let others tell you what to believe

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Why do you care what people believe in or think about something?
I enjoy discussing this topic with believers, and I think I raised some valid points in the OP.

Seriously just deal with your own life and leave everyone else to do whatever the hell they want.
If somebody is comfortable enough to declare their faith-based allegiance to a religion, I would hope they'd be comfortable discussing it with somebody who has some criticisms.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I wish lots of families across the world shared that philosophy, but there are obviously situations where a child is brought up in a religion whether or not they volunteered to.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Not only does it do that, but in the past, religion has blocked/suppressed certain scientific discoveries. Looked at from this perspective, it's actually detrimental to the human species.

No, religion isn't good for all. It is dangerous for the week minded and gullible and under educated. Feel self important much?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

At some point they have a choice what to believe... You don't need to deal with peer presure, when it comes down to it, its your choice.

Its easy to find flaws in every religion if you actually read the texts.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

At some point they have a choice what to believe... You don't need to deal with peer presure, when it comes down to it, its your choice.
True, I've spoken to many people who used to be religious and were raised in a religious family, but they became an atheist.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

No, religion isn't good for all. It is dangerous for the week minded and gullible and under educated. Feel self important much?

You're a bright individual - if we counted lack of attention to detail...

You missed the jest about it being good for our imagination - meaning the fable sharpens our ability to pick out the fiction in life...

Weak ass personal attack...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
First, I want to say that all of your threads are great Tupac, thank you for existing

I've always thought the same way about this. If you understand math, it should be plain to see that picking one exact set of beliefs out of thousands is just insane.

As for this:

How does believing exactly what a group of people told you is true utilize ANY imaginiation?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Helious

You're a bright individual - if we counted lack of attention to detail...

You missed the jest about it being good for our imagination - meaning the fable sharpens our ability to pick out the fiction in life...

Weak ass personal attack...

I am a bright individual and your personal attack of the OP and his presentation of the thread for discussion did not allow me to see any jest in your comments. I still fail to see it now, what I do see is somebody who really has nothing to say and is more interested in being edgy and cool.

Did anyone know that was a "jest"? Personal attack? What on Gods green earth are you even talking about?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Yeah personally I found that post to be a little vague. I took it as saying "Religion is beneficial because it enhances peoples imagination", as if that was an actual benefit that religion offers to people. Then your part about my whole post being watered down seemed out of line and a little insulting. Those little crumb filled posts are often too vague to be understood, you need to elaborate more dude.

The first line sounded had the tone of saying "We've all heard this garbage time and time again"

Then your second line "jest" apparently has the intended tone of "Religion is silly because it helps people understand fiction"

And your last line of that post had the tone of "Your entire post was filled with worthless information which only paved the way for you to attack religion"

And you have like 10 stars for that all-over-the-placer...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Did anyone know that was a "jest"? Personal attack? What on Gods green earth are you even talking about?

You had no problem throwing fodder my way, but I'm supposed to remain sterile..?

You're green...

So, let me help you out. My original post had sarcastic content, and I can see just within this thread that isn't something you are used to - how sad...broaden your horizons, it's cheap therapy.

I took a swipe at organized religion by stating that you needed to use your imagination just to have a basic understanding of its contradictions...

Comprende guy..?

edit on 26-11-2011 by facelift because: to kill an apostrophe and 'not'

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

And you have like 10 stars for that all-over-the-placer...

Hater....

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Not really, I'm just trying to figure out what the hell you were trying to say with each of those lines, and am baffled that everybody else picked up on your incredibly vague "sarcastic swipe" at religion in that post.

But I see now what you meant. I thought when you said "That's ALL you had to say", that the only real point of my OP was to attack religion in that little nugget you quoted.....And that "* thumbs down*regurgitated rant" part seemed like something somebody who doesn't share the same belief would say.

My bad lol, that was a wasted page of discussion.
edit on 26-11-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join