It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do Wiccans believe in?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I noticed there are many ATS members around, who call themselves Wiccans. I haven’t done much research on this topic, but from what I can gather, it’s a pretty complicated, intricate and diverse set of beliefs! In which there doesn’t appear to be any one set definition.

Some my questions to you Wiccans out there is this…

(1) What exactly is it you believe in?

(2) And why do you believe in it?

- JC

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

it is just that the time is soon and things of this nature are going to increase folds over.
(people going back to Pagan roots that will later merge together in a one world religion)
i compare it to being like sheep being separated and marked, classified by who you choose to follow now.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Wiccans generally tend to have an intelligent outlook from what I have read.

Although I think alot of newbie stuff that goes around, gives them a strange image.

I am not much of a believer in their "spells", it is usually indirect and ritualistic, maybe sometimes some part of it works.

I do believe there is some "supernatural" aspect of humans that has yet to be revealed fully, but I prefer a much more direct approach, and when you approach it directly you are forced to face the obvious limitations.
Whereas indirect approaches always have a never ending excuse which keeps it from revealing its obvious shortcomings, even though it shouldnt. If one is using wooden sticks and candles to make things happen for them then its going to be hard to really see much of anything and keeps them in their strange indirect rituals.

Thats how I see it at the moment anyway, maybe a "real" wiccan can shed some light, or not

edit on 25-11-2011 by Keiju because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

We believe that the consciousness of creation resides in every thing in the natural world. We have several Gods and Godesses as Wicca in this day and age embodies many of the old relegions. We believe that we have the power to manipulate matter and we believe that we are entitled to manipulate matter as long as it does no harm to any person or thing. Most believe in reincarnation or some kind of continuance after this life is over. Nut shell . Too much to put in a post on a forum.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think Wicca is individualistic, meaning Wiccans who are eclectic can worship in any way they want to whatever they want. So it is hard to define just what they believe in.

From what my Wicca-practicing brother tells me, those who do cast spells believe the spells work. I have yet to see if it does. He used to have a book of spells that included flying and invisibility and flying invisible. I suppose I would not see the invisibility. But he believes they work, to a degree.

I think people are attracted to Wicca because there is a perception of power they can operate in, they believe they can possess a power that regular people might not have. So there seems to be an egoistic draw for some Wiccans.

I would like to see someone cast a spell that does work, but most times I think they translate coincidence as a spell, but they don't seem to challenge the coincidence. Still though, I would like to see a spell cast actually working.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I think people are attracted to Wicca because there is a perception of power they can operate in, they believe they can possess a power that regular people might not have. So there seems to be an egoistic draw for some Wiccans.

This may be true of newbies, or those inexperienced, but from what I've read and have been told, it's quite the opposite. Most Wiccans believe what they do, anyone can do merely by recognizing their own innate abilities, and place in the universe.

OP. You might want to U2U "autowrench". He's very good at explaining and sharing his faith.

edit on 11/25/2011 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Here is a suggestion. Tell me what you would do a spell for. Something you'd like to happen and I can write a spell for you. It would be more powerful if you did it for yourself but I can give you one that will work.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Here is a suggestion. Tell me what you would do a spell for. Something you'd like to happen and I can write a spell for you. It would be more powerful if you did it for yourself but I can give you one that will work.

I don't want a spell for me, I am a Christian and don't believe in spell casting. I know that people will try to say that my prayers are spells because I am asking my deity to do something for me. But in the interest in fairness and tolerance, just please understand me-even if a little bit doesn't make sense.

I may be Christian and have determined that my house will serve the Lord, but I love my brother who practices Wicca and would love to see something work for him in his life to give him peace because for the last 15 years of his life, he has had no peace and wants Wicca to work for him. He has been casting spells for a long time without any change in his life.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I'll try =]

I want to become a successful Forex trader, I will probably succeed anyway, but would not mind seeing what it is, to "do a spell"

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wiccans and Pagans all believe in different things. Even Wiccans in the same coven will have differing beliefs from their covenmates.

I, for instance, believe and follow the gods of every pantheon, though my main three are Hecate, Lilith and Eris. I believe in it because I always have, even when I was a good Christian child. My patron deities change every once in a while. Hecate is a new addition, for instance, and Lilith and Eris hold much less sway over my life now.

I could answer more specific questions if you'd like.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Originally posted by cetaphobic

Thanks, I will ask you some more questions below, and maybe other Wiccans following the thread can throw in their 2 cents…

I should just point out at this stage, a few brief things; I believe in Jesus. I had a spiritual experience while reading Jesus words in the bible and I believe I received the Holy Spirit, and this is why I now believe in him. I did not have any Christian upbringing at all, and therefore I don’t belong to any church denomination.

Anyway, I will try not to convert you into believing in Jesus…I can always do that on another thread lol

I, for instance, believe and follow the gods of every pantheon, though my main three are Hecate, Lilith and Eris.

But how can you believe in the Gods of every pantheon? How has this belief come about?

Not sure how to word this question… but here goes…

Most beliefs have a long explanatory structure to them, like Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Buddhism for example, but what is the defining structure, of the belief in Wicca?

My patron deities change every once in a while. Hecate is a new addition, for instance, and Lilith and Eris hold much less sway over my life now.

This is the aspect of Wicca I find really strange, because, what is a Wiccan’s overall view of his/her religion, in a realm where there are hundreds of Gods floating around out there. In other words, if you are a Wiccan, then what are the bigger philosophical implications, regarding the bigger picture of life?

And I should just point out here, that because Wicca is such a diverse belief, that there are not necessarily any right or wrong answers to my above questions.

- JC

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

Thanks, I will ask you some more questions below, and maybe other Wiccans following the thread can throw in their 2 cents…

I should just point out at this stage, a few brief things; I believe in Jesus. I had a spiritual experience while reading Jesus words in the bible and I believe I received the Holy Spirit, and this is why I now believe in him. I did not have any Christian upbringing at all, and therefore I don’t belong to any church denomination.

Anyway, I will try not to convert you into believing in Jesus…I can always do that on another thread lol

I, for instance, believe and follow the gods of every pantheon, though my main three are Hecate, Lilith and Eris.

But how can you believe in the Gods of every pantheon? How has this belief come about?

Not sure how to word this question… but here goes…

Most beliefs have a long explanatory structure to them, like Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Buddhism for example, but what is the defining structure, of the belief in Wicca?

My patron deities change every once in a while. Hecate is a new addition, for instance, and Lilith and Eris hold much less sway over my life now.

This is the aspect of Wicca I find really strange, because, what is a Wiccan’s overall view of his/her religion, in a realm where there are hundreds of Gods floating around out there. In other words, if you are a Wiccan, then what are the bigger philosophical implications, regarding the bigger picture of life?

And I should just point out here, that because Wicca is such a diverse belief, that there are not necessarily any right or wrong answers to my above questions.

- JC

I'm an eclectic Pagan, not a Wiccan. The structure of my religion entirely depends on my own fluctuating levels of faith every single day. But I believe in every deity, I have a personal relationship with many (including Hermes, Loki, Eris, Hecate, and Lilith) and if I need a spell for a specific reason, I will ask a deity who governs over something related. I mostly work with the Greco-Roman pantheon, however. But I believe they all exist and they all have power. Norse, Christian, Hindu deities, all are worth giving equal reverence to.

I was once asked on one of my blogs how one becomes a Pagan. I answered with the following:

1. Be none of the Abrahamic religions

2. Have a deep reverence for the Earth

You are now a Pagan. No deities required.

You can be a non-theistic Pagan. You can believe that deities are aspects of nature itself. You can believe the deities are real and separate beings. You can change these beliefs every day. So long as you are non-Abrahamic, and have a reverence for the Earth, you are a Pagan.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I'm an eclectic Pagan, not a Wiccan.

LOL
Dam, I must be on the wrong thread lol – no seriously, I appreciate your input, the more diverse opinions, the better…

The structure of my religion entirely depends on my own fluctuating levels of faith every single day.

Ok, try not to take this the wrong way, but aren’t you kind of pasting your own religion, as you go. You see, this is why I asked my previous question, albeit directed at the Wicca religion, because most religions have set specific tenants, which they all mostly agree upon. But it just seems to me that Wicca and Paganism, are like a choose your own adventure book lol

But I believe in every deity, I have a personal relationship with many (including Hermes, Loki, Eris, Hecate, and Lilith)

When you say you have a personal relationship with those deities above etc…just how does that work? Incidentally, the idea of having a personal relationship with God, comes from the Christian religion.

I was once asked on one of my blogs how one becomes a Pagan. I answered with the following:

Looks like I’m already apart of the Abrahamic faiths, but I also have deep reverence for mother Earth…so I’m not sure how I fit into the list lol

You can be a non-theistic Pagan. You can believe that deities are aspects of nature itself. You can believe the deities are real and separate beings. You can change these beliefs every day. So long as you are non-Abrahamic, and have a reverence for the Earth, you are a Pagan.

Seems like a very flexible believe system to me. But surely the whole structure of your religion would change dramatically, if you were a non-theistic Pagan, as opposed to being a theistic Pagan? To the extent, where calling them both Pagan, would be a very unclear definition IMO.

- JC

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I'm an eclectic Pagan, not a Wiccan.

LOL
Dam, I must be on the wrong thread lol – no seriously, I appreciate your input, the more diverse opinions, the better…

The structure of my religion entirely depends on my own fluctuating levels of faith every single day.

Ok, try not to take this the wrong way, but aren’t you kind of pasting your own religion, as you go. You see, this is why I asked my previous question, albeit directed at the Wicca religion, because most religions have set specific tenants, which they all mostly agree upon. But it just seems to me that Wicca and Paganism, are like a choose your own adventure book lol

But I believe in every deity, I have a personal relationship with many (including Hermes, Loki, Eris, Hecate, and Lilith)

When you say you have a personal relationship with those deities above etc…just how does that work? Incidentally, the idea of having a personal relationship with God, comes from the Christian religion.

Looks like I’m already apart of the Abrahamic faiths, but I also have deep reverence for mother Earth…so I’m not sure how I fit into the list lol

Seems like a very flexible believe system to me. But surely the whole structure of your religion would change dramatically, if you were a non-theistic Pagan, as opposed to being a theistic Pagan? To the extent, where calling them both Pagan, would be a very unclear definition IMO.

- JC

All Wiccans are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans. Do you see? Paganism is a very large umbrella term, like Christianity is- it includes a whole host of Protestant faiths, different versions of Catholocism, and Gnostic Christian sects as well. So Wicca is like the Protestant faiths, whereas my eclectic Paganism would be like Gnostic Christian sects. See?

Anyway, as for pasting my religion together- yes, and that's what works best for me because I am a changing, fluid person. I learn new things everyday, and who am I to tell science to eff off just because my old beliefs contradict them? The only thing that doesn't change is that relationship with the deities, for me.

Also, unfortunately, Paganism originally had personal relationships with Gods. I believe Zoroastrianism, which Christianity is largely based on and is the first true Monotheistic religion, also had a personal relationship with God. It does not originate from Christianity- not much of the Christian faith does, in fact.

I know my deities. I speak with them, though they don't speak back except in symbolism, omens, things like that. When I ask Hecate or Lilith for help, I look out for owls, dogs, or for anything strange to happen on a crossroad. I know their personalities. Hermes is anxious while Hecate is stoic and strong, Eris has her less than pleasant moments and is hilariously sarcastic and mean. Lilith is harder to describe, she is the darkest of my patrons but she is very feminist and very loving towards anyone who properly respects those who identify as female. And I have worked with YHWH a bit, but he is the most distant deity I have ever encountered. Not bad, not at all. Just distant.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I noticed there are many ATS members around, who call themselves Wiccans. I haven’t done much research on this topic, but from what I can gather, it’s a pretty complicated, intricate and diverse set of beliefs! In which there doesn’t appear to be any one set definition.

Some my questions to you Wiccans out there is this…

(1) What exactly is it you believe in?

(2) And why do you believe in it?
- JC

I cannot speak for all, but here are my own thoughts on the matter. Wiccans do not have "beliefs." Beliefs cannot ever change, they are, in effect, set into stone.
Wiccans on the other hand have Ideas. Ideas can, and do change all the time.
As for why I am what I am, blame my DNA and Genealogy for that. My mission, like many others in here, is to awaken humankind to everything. Some are eager to learn, others are so brainwashed they refuse to learn. I only call myself a Wiccan for lack of a better word.

To be a Wiccan involves much research and study, for one year, and one day.
Here is a good place to begin your journey: witchvox.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

All Wiccans are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans. Do you see? Paganism is a very large umbrella term, like Christianity is- it includes a whole host of Protestant faiths, different versions of Catholocism, and Gnostic Christian sects as well. So Wicca is like the Protestant faiths, whereas my eclectic Paganism would be like Gnostic Christian sects. See?

I think I get the general idea, but the problem I see, is that religions like Protestant and Catholicism, have differences, but they all share set fundamental tenants, which make them all Christian. So what are the set fundamental tenants/constants, which make the religion of Wicca, Wiccan, or Paganism, Pagan?

Just a quick reference above, as to what you wrote in one of your other posts…

Anyway, as for pasting my religion together- yes, and that's what works best for me because I am a changing, fluid person. I learn new things everyday, and who am I to tell science to eff off just because my old beliefs contradict them? The only thing that doesn't change is that relationship with the deities, for me.

Now I can understand that you learn new things and adapt as you go etc…but other people who have faiths and religious beliefs, do exactly the same thing, but the difference is, that the structure of their religion doesn’t change. Of course a Christian may shift to another denomination, but the essential core tenants of their belief structure don’t changed. Maybe what you said above about the structure of your religion, means something different to you, than from how I perceive it, or maybe you meant structure in a completely different sense…I’m not sure…

Also, unfortunately, Paganism originally had personal relationships with Gods. I believe Zoroastrianism, which Christianity is largely based on and is the first true Monotheistic religion, also had a personal relationship with God. It does not originate from Christianity- not much of the Christian faith does, in fact.

Well, strangely enough, I think the Zoroastrians, probably believed in the one God, that’s believed in by the three Abrahamic faiths, but just under a different name.

I know my deities. I speak with them, though they don't speak back except in symbolism, omens, things like that. When I ask Hecate or Lilith for help, I look out for owls, dogs, or for anything strange to happen on a crossroad. I know their personalities. Hermes is anxious while Hecate is stoic and strong, Eris has her less than pleasant moments and is hilariously sarcastic and mean. Lilith is harder to describe, she is the darkest of my patrons but she is very feminist and very loving towards anyone who properly respects those who identify as female. And I have worked with YHWH a bit, but he is the most distant deity I have ever encountered. Not bad, not at all. Just distant.

You said in one of your other posts, that to be Pagan, you should be none of the Abrahamic religions, but aren’t you kind of bringing an aspect of Abrahamic belief, into your Paganism, by believing in, and working with YHWH?

- JC

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keiju

I'll try =]

I want to become a successful Forex trader, I will probably succeed anyway, but would not mind seeing what it is, to "do a spell"

Give me a day to work one out for you. I have to find out what a Forex trader is LOL. but once I do and if your motives are good ( they seem so since you are very confident about your sucess anyway) this will be powerful for you. Intentions are everything in spell work.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Please remember my words. I came across real life evidence that wiccans believe in tarot cards, and the most shocking eye opening thing is that the grey aliens from outerspace (the ones with 5ft tall skinny white bodies, no sex organs, and a pointy chin with a small slit for a mouth, two small slits for the nose, and black almond shaped eyes) are more attracted to believe who believe in the wiccan religion. I didn't just read this on the internet but I saw it happen. Now the fact that aliens from outer space would rather abduct people who believe in wicca, that doesn't bother me as much because I am a christian, but I don't know if aliens abducted just as many christians.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

sorry for the extra post, my browser reloaded itself
edit on 26-11-2011 by HRegressor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

They said you were the one, I was to speak too...

Originally posted by autowrench
I cannot speak for all, but here are my own thoughts on the matter. Wiccans do not have "beliefs." Beliefs cannot ever change, they are, in effect, set into stone.

But if they don’t hold any beliefs, where do they think they are getting their power from, to do spells and cast magic etc…I mean you can’t just practice all those things, and have no beliefs about them, or where you think they might be coming from.

Wiccans on the other hand have Ideas. Ideas can, and do change all the time.

But everyone has ideas, that doesn’t make them a Wiccan. I’m looking for some kind of distinguishing characteristic(s), which defines what Wicca is, and more importantly, why they believe in it.

As for why I am what I am, blame my DNA and Genealogy for that. My mission, like many others in here, is to awaken humankind to everything. Some are eager to learn, others are so brainwashed they refuse to learn. I only call myself a Wiccan for lack of a better word.

You see, you said it yourself, “for lack of a better word”, so even you, are not entirely sure how best to define Wicca. In fact, it’s even possible that you are not a Wiccan lol

Allow me to approach this from another angle.

Imagine, for a moment, that I am an Atheist, who has no spiritual beliefs at all. And lets just say we are pretty close friends; During a conversation one night, you invite me to a Wicca event or meeting. I then turn to you; look you squarely in the eyes and ask you “ What is Wicca?”

What are you going to say me, in reply?

- JC

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join