It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Thanksgiving history.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Some history

The feast that was held in the Plymouth Colony, celebrated by the Pilgrims and Native Americans in the fall of 1621, is the meal most commonly referenced as “The First Thanksgiving”. Of course, what is history without controversy? It’s often the story that gets told best that gets told most and of course, documentation of any event gives it more credibility. The post harvest feast of 1621 is the only event that was documented.

You may take Thanksgiving for granted as a day to watch football, spend quality time with your family, or eat, but 150 years ago, it wasn't even a national holiday. The day we celebrate to honor the Pilgrims' first feast in 1621 wasn't made official until President Lincoln's 1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation.

edit on 25-11-2011 by diamondsmith because: Thanksgiving

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
i think there was something on the history channel recently that there could even have been aliens present at the first thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

educational post but... you forgot to put the link in.

I am not American and as an Aussie we don't celebrate it... but thx for the info.

I esp like the part you included about it being special because it was documented and that is very true.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Is that what the American Africans call Kwanza Day?
Well, I suppose they didn't arrive on the Mayflower, so they weren't really present.
We don't have Thanksgiving or a Kwanza day in South Africa.

Anyway,
Happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

you forgot some very important details: i 1st learned the following when i was 8 from my step mom [1/8 Mohawk]
playing cowboys and injuns was stricktly Verboten as well:Why I Hate Thanksgiving www.counterpunch.org...
2004 version www.counterpunch.org...

These are the Puritans that the Indians "saved", and whom we celebrate in the holiday, Thanksgiving. Tisquantum, also known as Squanto, a member of the Patuxet Indian nation. Samoset, of the Wabonake Indian nation, which lived in Maine. They went to Puritan villages and, having learned to speak English, brought deer meat and beaver skins for the hungry, cold Pilgrims. Tisquantum stayed with them and helped them survive their first years in their New World. He taught them how to navigate the waters, fish and cultivate corn and other vegetables. He pointed out poisonous plants and showed how other plants could be used as medicines. He also negotiated a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and Massasoit, head chief of the Wampanoags, a treaty that gave the Pilgrims everything and the Indians nothing. And even that treaty was soon broken. All this is celebrated as the First Thanksgiving.

How I Stopped Hating Thanksgiving and Learned to be Afraid www.counterpunch.org...

I am afraid of Thanksgiving. More accurately, I am afraid of what Thanksgiving tells us about both the dominant culture and much of the alleged counterculture.

Here’s what I think it tells us: As a society, the United States is intellectually dishonest, politically irresponsible, and morally bankrupt. This is a society in which even progressive people routinely allow national and family traditions to trump fundamental human decency. It’s a society in which, in the privileged sectors, getting along and not causing trouble are often valued above honesty and accountability. Though it’s painful to consider, it’s possible that such a society is beyond redemption. Such a consideration becomes frightening when we recognize that all this goes on in the most affluent and militarily powerful country in the history of the world, but a country that is falling apart -- an empire in decline.

Thanksgiving should teach us all to be afraid.

Although it’s well known to anyone who wants to know, let me summarize the argument against Thanksgiving: European invaders exterminated nearly the entire indigenous population to create the United States. Without that holocaust, the United States as we know it would not exist. The United States celebrates a Thanksgiving Day holiday dominated not by atonement for that horrendous crime against humanity but by a falsified account of the “encounter” between Europeans and American Indians. When confronted with this, most people in the United States (outside of indigenous communities) ignore the history or attack those who make the argument. This is intellectually dishonest, politically irresponsible, and morally bankrupt.

and of course those in power will activley coverup at every opportunity:
www.uaine.org...

UAINE and the history of National Day of Mourning: In 1970, United American Indians of New England declared US Thanksgiving Day a National Day of Mourning. This came about as a result of the suppression of the truth. Wamsutta, an Aquinnah Wampanoag man, had been asked to speak at a fancy Commonwealth of Massachusetts banquet celebrating the 350th anniversary of the landing of the Pilgrims. He agreed. The organizers of the dinner, using as a pretext the need to prepare a press release, asked for a copy of the speech he planned to deliver. He agreed. Within days Wamsutta was told by a representative of the Department of Commerce and Development that he would not be allowed to give the speech. The reason given was due to the fact that, "...the theme of the anniversary celebration is brotherhood and anything inflammatory would have been out of place." What they were really saying was that in this society, the truth is out of place.

What was it about the speech that got those officials so upset? Wamsutta used as a basis for his remarks one of their own history books - a Pilgrim's account of their first year on Indian land. The book tells of the opening of my ancestor's graves, taking our wheat and bean supplies, and of the selling of my ancestors as slaves for 220 shillings each. Wamsutta was going to tell the truth, but the truth was out of place.

Here is the truth: The reason they talk about the pilgrims and not an earlier English-speaking colony, Jamestown, is that in Jamestown the circumstances were way too ugly to hold up as an effective national myth. For example, the white settlers in Jamestown turned to cannibalism to survive. Not a very nice story to tell the kids in school. The pilgrims did not find an empty land any more than Columbus "discovered" anything. Every inch of this land is Indian land. The pilgrims (who did not even call themselves pilgrims) did not come here seeking religious freedom; they already had that in Holland. They came here as part of a commercial venture. They introduced sexism, racism, anti-lesbian and gay bigotry, jails, and the class system to these shores. One of the very first things they did when they arrived on Cape Cod -- before they even made it to Plymouth -- was to rob Wampanoag graves at Corn Hill and steal as much of the Indians' winter provisions as they were able to carry. They were no better than any other group of Europeans when it came to their treatment of the Indigenous peoples here. And no, they did not even land at that sacred shrine down the hill called Plymouth Rock, a monument to racism and oppression which we are proud to say we buried in 1995.

The first official "Day of Thanksgiving" was proclaimed in 1637 by Governor Winthrop. He did so to celebrate the safe return of men from Massachusetts who had gone to Mystic, Connecticut to participate in the massacre of over 700 Pequot women, children, and men.

About the only true thing in the whole mythology is that these pitiful European strangers would not have survived their first several years in "New England" were it not for the aid of Wampanoag people. What Native people got in return for this help was genocide, theft of our lands, and never-ending repression.

But back in 1970, the organizers of the fancy state dinner told Wamsutta he could not speak that truth. They would let him speak only if he agreed to deliver a speech that they would provide. Wamsutta refused to have words put into his mouth. Instead of speaking at the dinner, he and many hundreds of other Native people and our supporters from throughout the Americas gathered in Plymouth and observed the first National Day of Mourning. United American Indians of New England have returned to Plymouth every year since to demonstrate against the Pilgrim mythology.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I doubt the Indians were very thankful. We came bearing gifts of disease and bullets.

But I celebrate every year. Hey, great food. Good friends. Football and a nap. What more could a guy ask for?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I doubt the Indians were very thankful. We came bearing gifts of disease and bullets.

But I celebrate every year. Hey, great food. Good friends. Football and a nap. What more could a guy ask for?

Yeah I go for that!

top topics

join