It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what will you do ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
see many on here who think all thats needed to survive is their BOB and their stockpile...

what will you do if :
1. Someone liberates your supplies from you ?
2. The situation lasts longer than your stockpile and there is no way to resupply ?

How many have the necessary skills and knowledge right now to actually survive without the high-tech toys and stockpiles ?

Its good to prepare but life doesnt always give you that luxury.. take some time and seriously think - just how prepared are you realistically ?

*if this post appears anywhere other than where originally posted on AboveTopSecret.com it was stolen without permission from the author by some idiot too lazy to think for themself*
edit on 23/11/11 by Expat888 because: tengu mischief..

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
We try to keep stocked with at least a few days extra worth of food. We have an extra gas bottle for heating and a small gas cooker with 5 gas bottles
we have 20L of water stored

I have no survival training / experience / and am not an out door kinda guy in any way
I have no firearms, the only weapons I have are 2 Katana swords, though I have no swordsmanship training

....honestly, if the SHTF - we are screwed

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
see many on here who think all thats needed to survive is their BOB and their stockpile...

what will you do if :
2. The situation lasts longer than your stockpile and there is no way to resupply ?

How many have the necessary skills and knowledge right now to actually survive without the high-tech toys and stockpiles ?

Its good to prepare but life doesnt always give you that luxery.. take some time and seriously think - just how prepared are you realistically ?

*if this post appears anywhere other than where originally posted on AboveTopSecret.com it was stolen without permission from the author by some idiot too lazy to think for themself*

interesting postulation,but I would say, every one is to busy on the computer or watching TV

But for interest, I am totally interdependent of all issues, and have been since 2000 and can sustain my self and 2 dogs permanently, and that's not been easy to accomplish, as it requires regular ordnance, to be carried out to replace medical supplies, and others that go out of date, this includes, but not limited a large seed bank vacuum
sealed includes sheep, goats, beef,fish, vegetable garden, totally interdependent water supply power and Sanitation, coms include UHF, AM, HF,and long range transceivers

It goes on and on in fact becomes a way of life, itself, as an interdependent

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

A most excellent question to ask, could you would you have the resources to regather your resources.
Did that sound redundant?
This is a question I ask the high speed GI Joes with all of their electrical goodies on their rifles.
It sure looks cool but, what happens when the batteries die, and your backups become out of date?
Did you ever learn to use iron sights?
I guess the only thing that will tell us if we are prepared is the situation at hand and hindsight.
It is possible to become proficient in all arenas but what a hassle that would be.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well... we have our farm, so our resources are renewable... we save our seeds from heirloom plants and practice good animal husbandry. Literally within a hundred yards is a lake with mucho mas fish, fresh water, wild game.

Worst case scenario... the farm is raided and laid waste, the area becomes unstable and indefensible... we move west. Basically hoof it to the Blue Ridge Mountains and then south to the NC-SC-Ga lines in the mountains... pretty remote areas and lots of rivers and river gorges.... and basically start over.

Hopefully, our 2 horses survive the trek as they will haul the bulk of items carried... which won't be much. Frying pans, axes, tarps, rope, seeds, some dried foods, medicines maybe... and what guns and ammo we have left. I would imagine we would be similar to pioneers treking westward in similar fahion in the 18th and 19th centuries. If possible, we will have a small herd of goats in tow, maybe some chickens in cages...

As stated before, we will use the power line right of ways and abandoned old rail road lines,,,, straight, clear cut across country, and usually away from the main roads except where they cross at intervals.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If you truly want something the universe tends to work itself out.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
And as far as anyone re-leaving me of my resources, and given the severity of the prevailing situation then here, here is a shovel, and see where that big garden ends
well start extending it, and when your finished there is the hot and cold showers and over there is male and female Flushing toilets make sure you use them regularly and keep them clean, there is a disused shed, doss in there, and keep your hands of my home brew beer supplies, that's if you no whats good for you, and I will share it with you, and only walk and go where i tell you to, as the place is covered in double jawed dingo traps, big enough to catch a grizzly, and buried just under the surface that are invisible, can be seen

So now I ask you, what would you chose to do ??

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bulla

Pull out my rifle force you to disable all the traps, then tell you what to do, where to go, and where to stay, and where to eat. So What Now

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
All you have to do is survive the initial SHTF and immediate aftermath. After 80-90% of the population are dead it would be a lot easier to divide remaining resources.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have a 3 acre lot 60 kilometres from the city in the hills , well secluded with a small trailer on it . There's no hydro in the area but I have a 6000 w gen and a lake near by with excellent fishing and an abundance of deer and bear . Tons of blueberries , blackberries , wild mushrooms,leeks, ect. I have a crossbow and plenty of bolts and a pellet rifle for small game . Looking forward when shtf I'm sick of the city life and the ratrace ! It will be a nice quiet existence !!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm
reply to post by bulla

Pull out my rifle force you to disable all the traps, then tell you what to do, where to go, and where to stay, and where to eat. So What Now

Is that before you manage to remove two 56 kg dogs from your very person or after you mange to somehow unravel from these not to friendly dogs, plus over the eight miles you have just traveled thru you have set of 6 cameras as to your arrival, where by I will in fact be behind you and have my fully charged lazier on the 3 inch thick barrel of my stainless steel pro Kangaroo shooters six shoot trained on the back of your head, as I use the UHF radio via installed pa, telling you to lay down flat face on the ground either willingly or unwillingly and go head make my day, dog food

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bulla

Originally posted by andersensrm
reply to post by bulla

Is that before you manage to remove two 56 kg dogs from your very person or after you mange to somehow unravel from these not to friendly dogs, plus over the eight miles you have just traveled thru you have set of 6 cameras as to your arrival, where by I will in fact be behind you and have my fully charged lazier on the 3 inch thick barrel of my stainless steel pro Kangaroo shooters six shoot trained on the back of your head, as I use the UHF radio via installed pa, telling you to lay down flat face on the ground either willingly or unwillingly and go head make my day, dog food

But I can see where this is leading, and if everyone took some action towards, what I believe is the posters original intention, being that everyone should not be so complacent about there ongoing existence, and relying on the big brother syndrome, which it has been shown, is slow to in act any response to such situations, let alone long term extended catastrophe

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I guess the first thing is to laugh and dont panic.

Sometimes when it looks like your screwed its because your thinking that and not thinking about what to do next.

Primitive skills are critical. If you can't start from nothing with just stone and fire then your entire survival plan was wrong from the start.

Im not saying that to be a know it all. I went a good 7-8 years before I backtracked and learned those skills. I was as guilty as the rest till i asked the same OP question and then did something about it. If you can start with stone and work your way up, then everything else is gravy.

But if people think watching a firebow youtube is learning the skill....they are doomed.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I know per ATS I am not supposed to make one liners but I think you guys are my soul mates.

No use in me even responding to the thread now.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
some interesting responses so far..
thank you to those who have replied up to this point..

going to watch a few more responses and give more time to think before returning..

and apologies if my original post may seem vague to some - english not my native language and am rusty at it ..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

If you can't forage, then scavenge. Steal, cheat, do what you have to. Foraging is a safer idea though.

reply to post by AlreadyGone

May want to reconsider the power line roads. There's an f-350 with some really big mud tires stuck up to the hood in mire at the moment on the one behind my house. To say that those are smooth running, is a bit wrong. Rivers, swamps, and everything else do cross those clearings in places, and they're nearly impossible to get anything through. The power companies use the public roads to work around mires like that, or use helicopters pretty often at the moment. Traveling by horse on one might result in a trapped or injured animal.

I've been down a few, and the ATVs can't even make it in places. When the ATV can't go, it's time to hang it up and go around on a public road. Nothing will get through.
edit on 24-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

From someone who has winched trapped weekend warriors out a few times.....this is correct. Power line right of ways are a bad way to run. First off if they have roads still and many dont anymore, those roads are dirt and not even graveled for the most part. Some around the cities are graveled but dont let those fool you.

second, they are killing fields during hunting season. People with guns sit and wait for animals to cross them and have every single year since they went up. Those same people who know them well, will likely be in the woods on each side waiting for stragglers to bring them more supplies and food. Those people will go there because they know there is a good chance to harvest game, and when people come harvest food and supplies.

This will be a gauntlet few will make it through.

Expect railroad tracks and mapped recreation trails to be exactly the same. strings of ambush points.

My gut tells me if you have selected any man made path, your going to be dealing with several instances of danger and resistance before you get where you are going.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Define liberate, I am all for helping people..But come the sword, gun, and whatever else people have a habit of having and or there means of such things. I would respond like I do with everything and everyone, I give what I get. So I would definitely terminate them if they so gave, or are thinking of giving.

This is bound to happen in time no matter what, and depending on the actual SHTF and its extremities. But in either case stockpiles are nice but a little redundant and silly. What you want to do is actually keep stuff that you can use to make other stuff with, food stockpiles and sitting on it is silly and not much of a strategy in the long run. Anything extra that is to much effort and energy to keep or especially carry around you need to get rid of it, because it will just drag you down.

Are you kidding me.
none depending on the thing in question. Besides survival without the high-tech toys would be overrated, I mean it could be done and it will be done if it came down to it...But the question remains why? Survival for the sake of survival is pointless and meaningless.

The whole mentality and make up of humanity would have to change again if it came down to it, but it's been done before...There is nothing new under the sun, this is not new.....So yes people would live and survive, and even thrive if it came down to it.

just how prepared are you realistically?

I never really actually prepared for anything in my life, but usually when it comes down to it I find a way, or a couple of ways....Besides this life is to short to always be worrying about what may happen in a future that is unforeseeable...Be prepared to not be prepared.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I often wonder if we had to just up and leave everything, what would we do. I have been reading and studying, trying to learn the old way of living. You make do with what you have. I don't like gadgets so I have none and would not miss them. I was raised gathering wood in the summer so we would have heat for the winter, you learn work never stops. If someone "liberated" my food, then I would be hungry but I have a strong will and extreme determination. In life as things get tougher, I tend to get more optimistic and resourceful. I know those aren't really skills but when you are of a certain mindset it is amazing what can be accomplished.

So, what would I do? I wouldn't sit down and cry, I would motivate.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Also, for anyone trying to map out escape routes from their house, Google maps.google.com... maps and other sites have a satelite view of your house and the terrain around it. It's tedious work but you can measure and map out the areas not travelled, take a walk through now and clear trees and branches, mark the path to be familiar with it. It's fun too! We even set up a little camp on ours and hang out when we get bored or just want to view wildlife.

Obviously don't make your path look like an ATV trail but it's pretty easy to mimick a deer trail. The deer end up using it anyway.

edit on 24-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: detail

top topics

<<   2 >>

join