It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New flu virus in three Iowa kids raises concern about wider spread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Three children in Iowa have come down with a new type of flu virus previously linked to pigs, but this time the bug appears to have been spread by people.

The children, who live in rural Webster and Hamilton counties, did not become seriously ill, said Dr. Patricia Quinlisk, medical director for the Iowa Department of Public Health. But the detection of the virus known as swine-origin A/H3N2 in patients who hadn't had contact with animals raises concerns about potentially greater spread of a new type of flu.

Link to article...

vitals.msnbc.msn.com...

The back and forth and babble of this article makes it impossible to get any credible information regarding this new flu virus.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
hmm funny a new swine flu. sounds more like another test flu

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowreborn89
hmm funny a new swine flu. sounds more like another test flu

Exactly my thoughts. And the randomness of all the "flus" that appear. It's all starting to get extremely annoying in my opinion. As if there isn't enough to worry about. I really do believe now that the human race will one day be extinct. We don't work TOGETHER as a species.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aeriess

Already a thread started on this here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by aeriess

Already a thread started on this here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Garrrrr I did a search and didn't see it. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

well i missed that one! i read this one. a star and flag for the op .

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by aeriess
vitals.msnbc.msn.com...

The back and forth and babble of this article makes it impossible to get any credible information regarding this new flu virus.

I realize that there's two threads of the same topic going on at the same time, but I decided to post in this one instead. The other one seems to be full of jokes about the new strain, rather than discussion of what the new strain is. And I know that's not the fault of the person who started the thread that it got that kind of unusual reaction. But since this one is more about trying to figure out what the new strain is...I decided to respond to this one.

I've been watching this particular one since the Pennsylvania outbreaks. They call it trH3N2 & A/H1N1 reassort. And yes, stuff keeps disappearing from the internet about it, even on medical sites. And most sites don't give much info. So the medical sites get some info, post it. Then some info disappears from med sites. Meanwhile the general media tries to do stories on it, but aren't given much info on it.

I pretty much figured they were lying about it with the Pennsylvania and Indiana cases. The whole story about three different kids catching this strain from a Pennsylvania fair didn't make any sense. Then by the time the Indiana woman caught it, it was obvious it had nothing to do with transmission from pigs at fairs because the Indiana woman had no contact with pigs.

Then it spread to Maine. Now it's in Iowa. Clearly been human-to-human transmission all along but everyone keeps trying to disguise it as transmission from pigs-to-humans even though some of these people had no contact with pigs.

Here's an example of a copy of something that went out thru pro-med mail, was reposted on several sites, but the original link to pro-Med mail (they posted it on their site) is no longer there. I'll be quoting from a repost on FluTrackers, since the original link to pro-med mail is no longer valid.

Archive Number 20110906.2723
Published Date 06-SEP-2011
Subject PRO/AH/EDR> Influenza (52): (PA), swine-origin H3N2 reassortant, 3 cases

INFLUENZA (52): (PENNSYLVANIA), SWINE-ORIGIN H3N2 REASSORTANT, 3 CASES
A ProMED-mail post
-snip-

The cases in Pennsylvania are similar to previous, rare human infections with swine-origin H3N2 viruses, but are unique in that they contain a genetic component of the H1N1 virus.

A continuing investigation, which is being jointly undertaken by the Departments of Health and Agriculture, as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), has not yet uncovered how the illness was transmitted to the 3 individuals. However, no additional human infections with this virus have been identified to date.
-snip-

These viruses are similar to 8 other swine-origin influenza A (H3N2) viruses identified from previous human infections over the past 2 years, but are unique in that one of the 8 gene segments (matrix M gene) is from the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus. The acquisition of the M gene in the 2 viruses so far characterised indicates that they are "reassortants" because they contain genes of the swine-origin influenza A (H3N2) virus circulating in North American pigs since 1998 and the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus that might have been transmitted to pigs from humans during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.

from FluTrackers Repost Pennsylvania New Flu Strain

Now somewhere I remember seeing the actual gene sequencing of the segment parts posted on the net. Which is definitely not up on net anymore. Wish I could link to it for you. The one below is also up on FluTrackers about trH3N2 & A/H1N1 reassort seems to be some medical email also with a bunch of government names attached to it.

September 2, 2011 / 60(Early Release);1-4
These viruses are similar to eight other swine-origin influenza A (H3N2) viruses identified from previous human infections over the past 2 years, but are unique in that one of the eight gene segments (matrix M gene) is from the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus. The acquisition of the M gene in these two swine-origin influenza A (H3N2) viruses indicates that they are "reassortants" because they contain genes of the swine-origin influenza A (H3N2) virus circulating in North American pigs since 1998 (2) and the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus that might have been transmitted to pigs from humans during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.

Indiana & Pennsylvania cases of new flu strain

I'll have to continue in another post.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Continuation....

OK..here it is. The crock about the Indiana case where they were still trying to claim pig contact, but WHO (World Health Organization) reported something different then the rest of the media. But now the original link to the WHO source stating this is GONE! Even though a repost of what was originally on the WHO site it is still on FluTrackers.

The Indiana case did not have direct exposure to pigs but had contact with a care-giver who did have recent swine contact.

WHO Update on New Flu Strain

So according to WHO, this Indiana woman did not have direct contact with pigs, but had contact with a person (caregiver) that had contact with pigs. Why don't they just state the facts at that point. HUMAN-TO-HUMAN transmission, no longer having to do with contact with pigs!!

On this one...if you really want to dig around as to what the trH3N2 & A/H1N1 reassort of the flu is...might as well start saving all the reposts from other sites. FluTrackers started an entire folder for the new strain and keeps reposting the articles, even though some of the original links for the reposted articles keeps disappearing. Very odd indeed.

trH3N2 Novel Strain from FluTrackers Reposting Articles and Emails from Gov't and Med Sites

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Wow! Thank you MapMistress for your info.

new topics

top topics

join