It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia will target US missile defense sites if no deal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I read this on google news a few minutes ago. Seems the Russians, even thought they are being a bit awkward about the missile defense shield, are looking pas the next couple of years.

So they can't be planning a showdown with the United States over the Iran Issue.

Just thought i would add this.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So what? If the US isnt worried they should say fine target our missiles. When you realize that the only time they will ever be fired is due to something like Iran popping one off then Russia will realize it had nothing to worry about. Russia has had nukes targeting the US for years until the last decade or so when both the US and Russia said they wouldnt target each other anymore. All that meant was changing programmed coordinates via computer so that ready to launch missiles wouldnt be "targeting" the other country. It only takes a minute to retarget them though. It was just a "feel good" gesture.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by derst1988

"All they say is, “This is not aimed against you, don’t worry.” They say there is no reason for us to be concerned. But this comes from the executive branch only, whereas lawmakers in some countries tell us openly, “This is intended against you.” And when we ask them to put it on paper and give us clear, unequivocal legal guarantees, they give us a firm no. Our position is reasonable. We are ready to discuss the status and contents of these guarantees, but our partners should realize that these guarantees cannot be general and abstract. They need to be formulated in such a way that Russia can rely not on promises, but on objective military data to determine whether the steps the United States and NATO take in developing missile defense are in line with their declarations, or whether they are infringing our interests and undermining the strategic nuclear parity, which is the foundation of global security today. We will not participate in a program that may negatively affect our deterrent potential in a rather short time – in five, six, perhaps eight years. The European missile defense program is currently being implemented, and unfortunately, it is being done at a fast pace. It is happening in Poland, Turkey, Romania, Spain. Russia is presented with a fait accompli. Of course, we’ll continue our dialogue on missile defense with the United States and NATO, as we have agreed with US President Barack Obama during our recent meeting, where I once again had to tell him clearly about our concerns. We still have time to come to an agreement.

Am I understanding this correctly? Russia is concerned with NATO & the US (Are they not one in the same?) establishing a missile defense program about which they say "it is being done at a fast pace" directly followed with "Russia is presented with a fait accompli" basically saying the missile defense program is up and active not simply being implemented. Confusing legalese so damn obtuse. Regardless interesting development.

EDIT:

en.wiktionary.org...

Etymology
From French fait accompli (“an accomplished fact”) from fait (“a fact”) + accompli (“accomplished”).
Noun
fait accompli (plural faits accomplis)
An accomplished fact, something that has already occurred; a done deal.
Usage notes
Often said of something irreversible or performed without going through standard procedure.
edit on 23-11-2011 by usernamehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Things are certainly heating up.

There are many indicators of possible conflict on a grand scale surfacing now...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42
The nuclear deterrent only works to keep peace if we are assured of mutual destruction. A missile defence system on Russia’s borders thus becomes an aggressive action.

The Russians are correct to strongly protest this action, we all should be because the US and NATO are once again turning these weapons into a way to win a war rather than a mass suicide pact.

Do I trust the Russians? NOPE. I trust our politicians even less.

The first intelligent post in this thread. Well done.

I have already read a few statements by USG officials claiming the missile-shield in europe could end up being used as defensive measures against Iran. This has bull written all over it... the matter of fact is that america has a habit of destroying the middle-east, obviously a missile system "within range" ensures they can use and abuse other nations "security" within Europe for the sake of a pre-emptive strike on Iran, or possibly even other countries... Russia being the obvious concern. What is america going to care if they fire missiles from Poland, and in return Poland gets wiped off the map? It's outrageous.

Wrong timing, Wrong place, Wrong excuse... again. Russia is right on track here, and i hope america gets the message for once and backs down. America is not a european country for a start... if they want to build a missile "DEFENCE" system, then by all means they should be building them on their own soil.

To me it is simply another american backed attempt to ensure NATO will spill the last drop of blood in yet another oblivious middle-east country. We shouldn't also forget that NATO is called 'team america' for a reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join