It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia will target US missile defense sites if no deal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

I come here today, to bring about a potentially troubling speech. This speech was orated by Russian President, Dmitry Medvedev. It was recorded on November 23rd, 2011 and consisted of 10 minutes. This video can be found on RT's free video site for download, however unless you understand Russian you will not comprehend. I will, however, post the english transcript of the speech.

00:00-01:16

Citizens of Russia,

"My address concerns the situation we have in Europe regarding NATO’s missile defense. Let me briefly review it. We are in a rather complex situation with the United States and NATO over missile defense. I recall how we welcomed the move when in September 2009 the US President revised his predecessor’s plans to deploy a missile shield in Europe. That was a smart decision, and it helped sign an important treaty reducing and limiting strategic offensive weapons. This treaty clearly says that strategic arms and missile defense are closely interrelated. I repeat, this treaty was a big step forward. However, later the United States began to implement its new missile defense plan, the so-called phased approach."

01:16-03:25

It is this approach that causes us concern. The problem is, it means that in the future, interceptor missiles and other missile defense elements may be deployed close to the Russian borders and in adjacent seas. At the Russia-NATO summit in Lisbon a year ago, I suggested creating a joint missile defense system in Europe. We suggested that if we have to develop missile defense, it is better to do it together. We suggested making this system sector-based, with each party responsible for the corresponding sector. Moreover, we said we were open to suggestions from our NATO partners and could make necessary adjustments to this layout, as long as its key elements remain intact. And the key element is that Europe does not need new dividing lines. It needs a common security perimeter, with Russia participating in it as an equal partner. I am still convinced that such an approach would offer unique opportunities for Russia and NATO to develop a real strategic partnership, because friction and confrontation in our relations can be replaced with the principles of equality, indivisible security, mutual trust and predictability. Unfortunately, the United States, and later other NATO members, failed to demonstrate serious readiness to take this way. They are not going to take account of our concerns regarding the architecture of the European missile defense system. At least they are not doing it today. They merely tell us that their plans are not aimed against Russia.

Ok, not aimed at russia we say. next:

03:25-05:44

"All they say is, “This is not aimed against you, don’t worry.” They say there is no reason for us to be concerned. But this comes from the executive branch only, whereas lawmakers in some countries tell us openly, “This is intended against you.” And when we ask them to put it on paper and give us clear, unequivocal legal guarantees, they give us a firm no. Our position is reasonable. We are ready to discuss the status and contents of these guarantees, but our partners should realize that these guarantees cannot be general and abstract. They need to be formulated in such a way that Russia can rely not on promises, but on objective military data to determine whether the steps the United States and NATO take in developing missile defense are in line with their declarations, or whether they are infringing our interests and undermining the strategic nuclear parity, which is the foundation of global security today. We will not participate in a program that may negatively affect our deterrent potential in a rather short time – in five, six, perhaps eight years. The European missile defense program is currently being implemented, and unfortunately, it is being done at a fast pace. It is happening in Poland, Turkey, Romania, Spain. Russia is presented with a fait accompli. Of course, we’ll continue our dialogue on missile defense with the United States and NATO, as we have agreed with US President Barack Obama during our recent meeting, where I once again had to tell him clearly about our concerns. We still have time to come to an agreement.

Sounds to me Russia wants to be secure and guaranteed, on paper, that no harm shall come to Russia.

05:44-06:49

"And Russia has political will to reach an agreement that would open a fundamentally new chapter in our relations with the United States and NATO. If our counterparts act fairly and responsibly and take our legitimate security interests into account, I am convinced that we will be able to come to an agreement."

"But if they want us to cooperate (or, let’s face it, simply work) to the detriment of our own interest, we won’t be able to find common ground. And then we will have to respond differently. Our actions will depend on the actual developments, as the US plan is implemented stage by stage."

Sounds somewhat reasonable. Nobody wants to work against themselves, its just bad business.
This has all been background information. Here is where the juicy stuff is presented.

06:49-08:48

"Because of that, I have taken the following decisions:

"First, I have instructed the Defense Ministry to immediately activate an early warning radar in Kaliningrad.

"Second, as part of the Russian aerospace defense program, Russia will urgently strengthen its defensive capabilities for Strategic Nuclear Forces installations.

"Third, strategic ballistic missiles coming into the arsenals of Russia's Strategic Missile Forces and the Navy will be fitted with advanced missile defense penetration systems and the latest effective warheads.

"Fourth, I have ordered the Armed Forces to develop a set of measures that will enable Russia, if necessary, to destroy the data exchange and control centers of the missile defense system. These measures are adequate, effective and cost-efficient.

"Fifth, if the aforementioned measures prove to be insufficient, the Russian Federation will deploy, along its western and southern borders, advanced offensive systems capable of destroying the European component of the missile defense system. This will include deploying Iskander missiles in Kaliningrad. Other measures aimed at neutralizing the European component of the US missile defense system will also be prepared and implemented if necessary."

08:48-09:21

"Next, if problems persist, Russia reserves the right to refrain from taking further steps as regards disarmament and arms control. Furthermore, considering that strategic offensive and defensive weapons are closely interrelated, Russia may have sufficient grounds to withdraw from the New START Treaty. Such a possibility is envisaged in the very idea of this treaty."

New START Treaty, per wiki

New START (for Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) (Russian: СНВ-III, SNV-III) is a nuclear arms reduction treaty between the United States of America and the Russian Federation

Transcript from Speech

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
There's already a thread on this but I think that since you put a lot more effort into this thread it should be the main one.
Hopefully things work out.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
thanks for posting this.
it sounds like sword rattling. they just want to live without concern, and i can understand that.
i hope the US doesn't mess up the relations with Russia, but at the end of the day whom knows really what's going on under the covers.

edit on 11/23/2011 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by swoopaloop

Ah, my apologies ATS community. If Mods feel the need to remove this thread, I will understand completely.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
thanks for posting this.
it sounds like sword rattling. they just want to live without concern, and i can understand that.
i hope the US doesn't mess up the relations with Russia, but at the end of the day whom knows really what's going on under the covers.

edit on 11/23/2011 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

Yes, I believe they are just making it known they will not lie down if we violate their sense of security. However, I fear the ramifications of the possible events. Words including "nuclear", "efficient warheads" and backing out of the New START treaty all spell for bad news. Not to mention, our reaction to what surely the MSM will call a transgression and Russia will become a threat to National Security.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
1. US and NATO have no wish for wars, espacially now in a financial crisis and economic slowdown.

2. Missiles, even nukes, overt or covert aimed at US and Nato is nothing new.

3. Is Russia a democracy, ruled by Putin alternating as PM and President term after term, and ruled along with the Russian Mafia whom had became the economic leaders after communism fell?

4. Why the warming of ties with China as China sought to own all the eastern seas by flexing its might, to the dismay and consternation by claimant asian states?

5. Why the continued stubborness by both security council armed with veto members Russia and China over international UN sanctions against murderous tyrants whom are murdering their own citizens by the thousands, and the implied threats of force by Russia and China if the world insists on rescuing fellow human brothers and sisters?

Better to be safe than sorry.

Just my insignificant and nobody self's 2 cts worth.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the transcript.

The problem with Russia is that they know they are vulnerable. Also, they have sided with China and have done things not in the interest of the US government. If they were more willing to help the US instead of support problems the US has with mainly the Middle East, they wouldn't have to worry.

Our government knows that Russia has and will side with China, and that has been their mistake.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Does the word "Target" imply a strike or does it mean simply that they will now point their missles at the US based missle sites? This is a waste of breath for both sides now to build more missles....I guess the hundreds of nukes just isn't enough for any country...this is all laughable and I swear it's a dog and pony show against the citizens of Russia and the United States when in fact in the grand scheme of things this means nothing...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
When the Soviets can detect the precise location of our 61 Ohio and Los Angeles class submarines, I will be concerned. Until that day comes, noise from the Russians is just sabre rattling.

The 14 Ohio class SSBN subs can target approximately 2688 sites each with a 100 kt, W76 nuclear warhead, with a range of 4,000 nmi (4,600 mi; 7,400 km). The 4 Ohio Class SSGN subs carry roughly 600 Tomahawn's with conventional or nuclear warheads with a range of up to 1550 miles.

With in excess of 3000 nuclear warheads hidden in the depths of our oceans ready to respond to a Russian first strike is a major deterrent to anyone wanting to take us on at that level.

There are also 43 Los Angeles class fast attack sub's with a full complement of Tomahawk's and Harpoon anti-ship munitions they must also worry about.

So until these bad boys can be located and tracked, the Russians can target to their hearts delight. I mean this is nothing new, they've been targeting everything possible for the last 60 years.

Besides, I'm more worried about our corrupted, thieving, lying, conniving, insider trading politicians are doing to us. They're doing a better job than the Russians have ever been able to do.

I'm sure the Russians couldn't be happier.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue
Thanks for the transcript.

The problem with Russia is that they know they are vulnerable. Also, they have sided with China and have done things not in the interest of the US government. If they were more willing to help the US instead of support problems the US has with mainly the Middle East, they wouldn't have to worry.

Our government knows that Russia has and will side with China, and that has been their mistake.

Indeed they have, but I will not get into the discussion of who was in the right in those issues, due largely to the fact that it is deserving of its own thread. That being said, this to me still looks like it could be a powder keg situation. If indeed the US does not include Russia in its plans for the European Missile Defense Program, and does not guarantee Russia the security of a official treaty or what have you, that these missiles are not intended for them; that Russia is planning on destroying these plans of ours. A word from the president means nothing to them, and they are declaring their desire for an official agreement; or else. Pretty scary.

Yes if Russia does this, we will retaliate. China and Russia will join together, and im sure they wish they still had their strong ties to Libya. Iran will join with them as well. Korea is still a potential. Dictators will probably unite.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldnslo
When the Soviets can detect the precise location of our 61 Ohio and Los Angeles class submarines, I will be concerned. Until that day comes, noise from the Russians is just sabre rattling.

The 14 Ohio class SSBN subs can target approximately 2688 sites each with a 100 kt, W76 nuclear warhead, with a range of 4,000 nmi (4,600 mi; 7,400 km). The 4 Ohio Class SSGN subs carry roughly 600 Tomahawn's with conventional or nuclear warheads with a range of up to 1550 miles.

With in excess of 3000 nuclear warheads hidden in the depths of our oceans ready to respond to a Russian first strike is a major deterrent to anyone wanting to take us on at that level.

There are also 43 Los Angeles class fast attack sub's with a full complement of Tomahawk's and Harpoon anti-ship munitions they must also worry about.

So until these bad boys can be located and tracked, the Russians can target to their hearts delight. I mean this is nothing new, they've been targeting everything possible for the last 60 years.

Besides, I'm more worried about our corrupted, thieving, lying, conniving, insider trading politicians are doing to us. They're doing a better job than the Russians have ever been able to do.

I get what you are saying, but I'm remembering history. You say we are at the advantage. How many times in history has a major power been eradicated by the force with the lesser advantage. American Revolution? WW2? Im sure there were some Germans that said until we can stop their submarines they would not worry.

I too believe that our politicians are our biggest threat. They have made our country weak and outside of respect. People only respect us out of fear, and for our celebrities.

My simple point? I do not think Russia, China, Venezuela, Korea, Iran, Cuba, ect will sit around out of fear much longer. Remember, we may have the bombs, but we also know the ramifications of them. For all we know, The US could be baiting Russia into attacking our sites in order to start WW3. War is very profitable, and Halliburton wants war. They are the ones who gave Iran nuclear technology. I alos believe I heard that Russia gave them an Atom bomb in the early 2000's.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldnslo

So.... these "corrupted, thieving, lying, conniving, insider trading politicians" are in control of the "14 Ohio class SSBN subs can target approximately 2688 sites each with a 100 kt, W76 nuclear warhead, with a range of 4,000 nmi (4,600 mi; 7,400 km). The 4 Ohio Class SSGN subs carry roughly 600 Tomahawn's with conventional or nuclear warheads with a range of up to 1550 miles.

With in excess of 3000 nuclear warheads hidden in the depths" and you're not worried??!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The nuclear deterrent only works to keep peace if we are assured of mutual destruction. A missile defence system on Russia’s borders thus becomes an aggressive action.

The Russians are correct to strongly protest this action, we all should be because the US and NATO are once again turning these weapons into a way to win a war rather than a mass suicide pact.

Do I trust the Russians? NOPE. I trust our politicians even less.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thank you for the translation!As i stated in another thread one do we really want to restart the cold war again and also do we have to spend multibillions on a system that may or may not even work?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Medvedev is well within his rights to state Russia's concerns regarding the missle plans, if NATO don't want to include Russia then fair enough but they must give Russia some kind of assurance on paper that they will not be targeted, a promise from Obama is not enough. I'm not sure that a disagreement over this will lead to a war though although, you can't rule it out.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
For what it is worth, I completely understand Russia's concern. I would be concerned to.

Imagine your neighbor constantly pointing a gun toward you from across the street.... You very well may ask him to stop.... Or at least promise that they wont shoot you.... When the refuse to make such a promise....

Yeah, it makes you start thinking about maybe knocking the gun out of his hand....

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
For what it is worth, I completely understand Russia's concern. I would be concerned to.

Imagine your neighbor constantly pointing a gun toward you from across the street.... You very well may ask him to stop.... Or at least promise that they wont shoot you.... When the refuse to make such a promise....

Yeah, it makes you start thinking about maybe knocking the gun out of his hand....
Although I'm not Pro-Russian, I completely understand from where they are coming from and the bloke is simply stating the concerns of his country. If NATO won't play ball and Russia disable the nukes then fair play to them, it cannot be considered an act of war as they are merely defending the security of their country.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

What you said is certainly true, but it is NOT only US interests that Russia is being stubborn with. It IS INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE interest.

What had caused the russian leadership's current ire? Nothing but defense of the democracy systems that many of our fellow brothers and sisters in despotic lands are only seeking.

Americans know what it is like to live under tyranny from their ancestors whom came from all over the world to make US great today. They stood up against the greatest military might the world have ever knowned then - the red coats that ruled and imposed dictatorship onto the world, and won.

From then on, they taught their descendants NEVER to bow to tyranny in any form. Today, we have US, along with western democracies leading the way in the FREE world. Our fellow human brothers and sisters whom sought for freedom look upon us to help, and we will never deny them, even at the cost of our lives, just as our forefathers had done, even in Vietnam when we finally discovered the truth that they had all been lied to by the Corporations out to make a quick buck.

But they courageously stood, in the belief that they would die for freedom of humanity, and we this generation to find the truth to hold those responsible accountable, or at least not to make the same mistakes again..

Today, the covert dictatorship of Russia and China is whinning and threatening. So be it. We will never abandon our fellow human brothers and sisters seeking for freedom, for freedom and stability is necessary for our species to progress and evolve, and with stability, EVERY human will evolve. No other selfish human will be allowed to stand in our way, even within our own shores.

Thus, it is not only US's interest, but EVERY FREE HUMAN on Earth's interest that Russia and China leadership must respect and back off, or face humanity's wrath.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

What you said is certainly true, but it is NOT only US interests that Russia is being stubborn with. It IS INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE interest.

What had caused the russian leadership's current ire? Nothing but defense of the democracy systems that many of our fellow brothers and sisters in despotic lands are only seeking.

Americans know what it is like to live under tyranny from their ancestors whom came from all over the world to make US great today. They stood up against the greatest military might the world have ever knowned then - the red coats that ruled and imposed dictatorship onto the world, and won.

From then on, they taught their descendants NEVER to bow to tyranny in any form. Today, we have US, along with western democracies leading the way in the FREE world. Our fellow human brothers and sisters whom sought for freedom look upon us to help, and we will never deny them, even at the cost of our lives, just as our forefathers had done, even in Vietnam when we finally discovered the truth that they had all been lied to by the Corporations out to make a quick buck.

But they courageously stood, in the belief that they would die for freedom of humanity, and we this generation to find the truth to hold those responsible accountable, or at least not to make the same mistakes again..

Today, the covert dictatorship of Russia and China is whinning and threatening. So be it. We will never abandon our fellow human brothers and sisters seeking for freedom, for freedom and stability is necessary for our species to progress and evolve, and with stability, EVERY human will evolve. No other selfish human will be allowed to stand in our way, even within our own shores.

Thus, it is not only US's interest, but EVERY FREE HUMAN on Earth's interest that Russia and China leadership must respect and back off, or face humanity's wrath.

Yep, we will FORCE you to be free

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is more a stab at Israel than at the United States.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join