It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale fossil bonanza in desert poses mystery

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
you need to remember something
When any argument arises between religion and scienc...er...Fact, you need to remember 1 thing:

- Anything religious is "interpretive". Meaning - the definition can change based on the context, author, discussion or quote. Similar to play-doh, it can be shaped and molded into anything the user cares to make.

Now on to the OP:

These were obviously whales which fell out of Noah's ark
edit on 21-11-2011 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

We often overlook this but... when dealing with those things we accept as undeniable from the field of science, we are still accepting interpretations and opinions as truth. Science is not infallible and often fills in gaps with assumptions. Moreover, one scientist may interpret a set of items in one way, while another will disagree. A prime example is the neutrino vs. speed-of-light debate. The physics community is divided against itself in much the same way that religions face off because of how one or the other interpret scripture.

In both science and religion, heresy is not tolerated. You either toe the line or you will be excommunicated... or worse. Good, respectable people of science often find their jobs on the line for daring to approach a given subject from an unwelcome angle.

Thank goodness that burning heretics at the stake is outlawed today.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by redoubt

Surely the state of preservation depends upon the material the remains are found in. For example, human remains found in peat bogs or, more famously, like those at Pompeii show very good preservation. Equally, bodies found in dry, dusty areas (such as tombs in deserts) can also be found in comparatively good condition.

Bodies left to the elements or buried in damp, seasonal soil will break down fairly quickly on the other hand and not leave much in the way of preservation. I would be prepared to bet that the current undersea activity around El Hierro has left several fossils for future geologists and ATS'ers of the future millenia to puzzle over........

Remains in peat bogs are quite the exception and in no way represent that specimen caught and frozen at the instant of death and then preserved for millions of years. Moreover, I would wager that there are far more fossilized dinosaurs to be found than human remains in a natural state... meaning, not embalmed or mummified and then sealed in some container.

As for Pompeii, the human remains were actually mostly rotted away... except for a few bones locked in those hollowed out cavities. In a million years, those remains would have been likely gone altogether leaving nothing but the cavities.

Nope, the uniqueness of many fossil finds tell stories of sudden, immediate and traumatic burial. In one case, I believe there was a pregnant female whale that was found fossilized with the unborn calf still in the womb. Imagine that, if you will, how such an event could have preserved a mother and her baby in an instant. There was no slow lead up, no dying, falling and laying on the bottom of the ocean floor. There was no apparent predatory action or no traumatic premature birthing. Just wham, bam, thank you ma'am. See you in 10 million years.

nature is a very skilled housekeeper. Fossils really shouldn't be as numerous as they are.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I actually agree with you mostly but i would say that surely the remains in Pompeii are actually much closer to the state of most fossils? (ie changes to mineral structure over time). After all, how many trilobytes from the Permian have been found with tissue, etc? I would bet none.......

I may be wrong on this and tbh i actually quite like it when im proved wrong on this site as it just adds a little more to my knowledge......

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

exactly - darwin [ charles ] correctly hypothesised < sic > the the marine fossils he obsereved in sea cliffs on the chilean coast were the result of the land rising , not the sea level falling

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

no God created the earth in 6 twentyfour hr days, read your bible it plainly states the evening and the morning were the first day, your trying to fit evalution into christianity, the whales are from the flood can you accept that?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

These were obviously whales which fell out of Noah's ark

Er, what whales? He didn't round up anything in the sea because they wouldn't drown. Noah only took what could drown, minus the nephilim. He didn't bother taking the nephilim with him. We gotta find giant bones of men somewhere and i'm not talking about the kind that are dinosaur bones some nob claims is nephilim bones.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

So it says, anyway.

Ugh. You quoted the bible, now all the atheists on ats are going to flood this thread with their mean spirited and snide remarks about Jesus and throw the thread off-topic.

As per the OP, very interesting. Think of this since youre talking bible. The great flood
, biblical evidence the great flood happened and as the waters receded the whales got stuck and died.

Or it could be as science says, since science is other folks' god.

I was just giving the source of the quote.
I'm an atheist.
The 2 to 7 million year time period works for me.

Well personally i'm a christian and yeah i believe in evolution too, strange huh? Why do i believe in evolution? Because God could've created through science. Who're we talking about here? We know science because he knows science, he was eating from the tree of knowledge that we were not supposed to eat from.

The whole 1000 years is like 1 day thing i believe was just an analogy. Men in thise times had no concept of millions or billions, they only knew thousands, so obviously it was God's way of giving man a rudimentary idea of what he sees as time flows passed him.

Also, the Adam and the Eve were created to live eternal before they fell, we have no way of knowing how many years passed by before that fall. They could've lived for tens of millions of years before they dropped out of warp and landed into impulse (star trek
).

Love reading about paleontolgy, perhaps all that water ended up in that giant underground sea that is under that region because there is supposed to be a giant resevoir of water out under the desert.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

the video at the 2 MY interval is really just like the plates are today..

but at 2MYA both the Chile plateau was under water to accommodate whales no less...

and up in North America the Yellowstone area was in the act of being created...

so there must have been something locally cataclysmic... like the plateau of Chile was actually undersea and not way abbove the sealevel as depicted in the graphic...maybe that part of South America was like the Baja of Mexico is today a real long & deep inland sea bordered on the West by the Andes mountains

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well, my numerology sucks, but say these fossils are about 6 million years old. Humor me for a second (or two) while I work out the math:

If 1day to God is 1000 years to man, (assuming god is in a trans-dimensional timeline, and time runs MUCH slower for him) we can postulate a few interesting statistics....

God............................................Man
--------------------------------------------------------
1day...........................................1000 yrs
24 hrs........................................1000 yrs
1440 mins...................................1000 yrs

Now, let's divide by 1000, to see what the man year is equivalent to:
/1000........................................../1000
1.44 mins....................................1 yr

So 1 human year is equal to 1.44 mins to God. Cripes!
I personally am 61.92 minutes old, a little over an hour old to God. Jeepers!
(Take you own age and multiply by 1.44 to find out your God age (hehehe.)

Now let's multiply that 1 human year by 6,000,000 (the approximate age of the whale fossils).

8,640,000 mins............................6,000,000 yrs

Then divide the first column by 60 to get hrs,
144,000 hrs.................................6,000,000 yrs
and then the hrs by 24 to get days,
6000 days...................................6,000,000 yrs
and finally by 365 to get years.
16.44 yrs....................................6,000,000 yrs

So to God, those fossils are only a little over 16 years old. Humans live about 80 minutes, (dang) and Noah was on the ark for just a few seconds when those whales fell off and got fossilized.

A friend of mine and I also worked out the impossibility of a worldwide flood a few years ago. We took into account the height of the world's tallest mountains, the volume of water on the earth, the mass of the earth, heights above sea level of those mountains, a few other factors, and calculated the volume of water needed to cover the tops of those mountains by 3 meters of water. We worked independently on our calculations, then after a few days, compared our results. There simply isn't enough water inside the earth or in the oceans to cover the earth with water.

What we did conclude that it would take an extra-terrestrial ice chunk about 4.5 kilometers round to land onto the earth, melt, and then we'd have to sufficient volume to cover every mountain. Of course, that also would've wiped out every terrestrial life form, tilted the earth off it's axis, and the water would've taken a few million years to evaporate enough to have a few visible land spots, and 90% of the earth would still be covered in water. You can't add in enough water to flood the entire earth, and then have it magically disappear. I was thinking about doing a thread on it some day, but I'd have to dig out my old notes.

So yeah, good mystery as to why whale fossils are in the desert.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Honestly I dont know for sure, but this is just a stab and I want to know. Okay so the earth is expanding some say(not sure if this is proven). All I can find is that its a theory or hypothesis. So at one time was the earth just one spinning ball of water? I don't even know if this is on topic but it somewhat fits in. Is it possible we were expanding at a quicker rate when the Earth was smaller thus more earth quakes etc and once water spread out and land was near the surface this made some animals beach like this?

NM Dino's are 65million years old lol this for sure doesnt work in the case of these ones. My bad. Was not thinking.
edit on 21-11-2011 by ExCloud because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by blv54

I am not sure what you think I am trying to fit into any time frame or other frame ...There are opinions that there used to be a 360 day year in the past as well as a less gravity force that allowed some dinosaurs to fly ...who knows maybe if they look hard enough in the fossil bed they might find some legs and solve the mystery ...peace

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I disagree with the bibles great flood. What if waaaaaaaaaaaay back then the earth was smaller?? If that was the case would't the gravity be less then the rocks wouldn't weigh as much?? What is the tallest animal on the planet today?? Wern't the dinosaurs alot bigger than the giraffe?? if the planet grew in size, and the gravety strengthed..... it would be harder for the blood to get to the brain of these large animals, correct??? What if the earth was smaller what if the earth is growing in size..,,, these tectonic plates pushing together??? prove it show me 1.. What if it was the earth stretching. Do the google earth and look at the floor of the ocean doesn't it look like stretch marks??

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I really dont understand why this is so controversial. how does this disprove God or vica versa? am i missing something?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join