It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale fossil bonanza in desert poses mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...
By EVA VERGARA, IAN JAMES
updated 24 minutes ago

SANTIAGO, Chile — More than 2 million years ago, scores of whales congregating off the Pacific Coast of South America mysteriously met their end.

Maybe they became disoriented and beached themselves. Maybe they were trapped in a lagoon by a landslide or a storm. Maybe they died there over a period of a few millennia. But somehow, they ended up right next to one another, many just meters (yards) apart, entombed as the shallow sea floor was driven upward by geological forces and transformed into the driest place on the planet.

Today, they have emerged again atop a desert hill more than a kilometer (half a mile) from the surf, where researchers have begun to unearth one of the world's best-preserved graveyards of prehistoric whales.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
No. All the whales died within the last 6000 years, just after their creation!

edit on 20/11/2011 by SambhavaamiYugeYuge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SambhavaamiYugeYuge
No. All the whales died within the last 6000 years!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

"The fossils are exceptionally well preserved and quite complete — a rare combination in paleontology and one that will likely shed light on many facets of the ... ecology and evolution of these extinct species," Fitzgerald said.

They say that more than 75 whales have been discovered so far — including more than 20 perfectly intact skeletons.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

fossils dont lie great post op
sf

ps i heard it takes at least 10,000 years to form a fossil
edit on 20/11/2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

was that a joke

they say one day in Heaven is proportional to 1000 years on Earth.
Think about that reversed or can't you get your head around that

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
"More than 2 million years ago, scores of whales congregating off the Pacific Coast of South America mysteriously met their end. " I wonder how the know it was 2 million years ago ? the next paragraph says maybe.maybe.maybe ...neet find thow .

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

entombed as the shallow sea floor was driven upward by geological forces and transformed into the driest place on the planet.

no mystery

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
"More than 2 million years ago, scores of whales congregating off the Pacific Coast of South America mysteriously met their end. " I wonder how the know it was 2 million years ago ? the next paragraph says maybe.maybe.maybe ...neet find thow .

They don't. It goes on to say the whales probably died between 2 million and 7 million years ago. Guess they have some more digging to do.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This is cool.

It will give all those paleontologist a lot of things to study and hopefully lead to some more answers about the prehistoric past of our planet. What is really cool is that dolphin fossil that was also in the same area that had tusks that were only previously found in Peru.

Dolphins with tusks was the original sharks with laser beams on their foreheads.

edit on 20-11-2011 by Timing because: Grammar and the wrong word.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Interesting mystery. Perhaps the land masses were different that long ago.

I do know that during the last ice age, 20,000 years, the sea levels dropped considerably, well over 200 meters. That'd be enough to strand whales, if there was an accompanying earthquake.

It does appear we are looking at fossils the predate the last ice age.

SnF.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Burgo1010

Who are THEY and how do they know?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This is awesome! I love dinos and what not, sure its no T-Rex, but its still cool.

slightly off topic: Yeah no where in the Bible does it say the earth is "young".

I don't know why people say it is

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Martin Luther (not our civil rights man). He is a Biblical scholar and it is widely accepted. As to how they know, beats me. Maybe God will confirm if you ask him.

I'm trying to find the source (I read it in a real book
) so it may or may not be true, but ill try to find the source)
edit on 20-11-2011 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak

Martin Luther (not our civil rights man). He is a Biblical scholar and it is widely accepted. As to how they know, beats me. Maybe God will confirm if you ask him.

2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

So it says, anyway.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
More than anything, the question NOT being asked is what kind of event buried entire families of whales... mom, dad and child, suddenly and in such a way as to see their preservation in stone in the form of that last single instant of life?

It is not at all unlike the mammoths found frozen with their last meals still in their bellies and food being chewed in their mouths.

We don't dare ask these questions because we have neither an answer or an idea that doesn't scare the gee-whizz out of the possibility concepts.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

was that a joke

I would guess that "they" are religious figures of the Christian faith?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Originally posted by calnorak

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

So it says, anyway.

Ugh. You quoted the bible, now all the atheists on ats are going to flood this thread with their mean spirited and snide remarks about Jesus and throw the thread off-topic.

As per the OP, very interesting. Think of this since youre talking bible. The great flood
, biblical evidence the great flood happened and as the waters receded the whales got stuck and died.

Or it could be as science says, since science is other folks' god.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
More than anything, the question NOT being asked is what kind of event buried entire families of whales... mom, dad and child, suddenly and in such a way as to see their preservation in stone in the form of that last single instant of life?

It is not at all unlike the mammoths found frozen with their last meals still in their bellies and food being chewed in their mouths.

We don't dare ask these questions because we have neither an answer or an idea that doesn't scare the gee-whizz out of the possibility concepts.

Chilean scientists together with researchers from the Smithsonian Institution are studying how these whales, many of the them the size of buses, wound up in the same corner of the Atacama Desert.......

..........As for why such a great number perished in the same place, Pyenson said: "There are many ways that whales could die, and we're still testing all those different hypotheses."

I would say they are asking the question.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

So it says, anyway.

Ugh. You quoted the bible, now all the atheists on ats are going to flood this thread with their mean spirited and snide remarks about Jesus and throw the thread off-topic.

As per the OP, very interesting. Think of this since youre talking bible. The great flood
, biblical evidence the great flood happened and as the waters receded the whales got stuck and died.

Or it could be as science says, since science is other folks' god.

I was just giving the source of the quote.
I'm an atheist.
The 2 to 7 million year time period works for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join