It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most People Show More Empathy And Compassion For Animals Than Eachother

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
One of the main reasons there exists so much evil and hatred in this world,is the fact that most people are cold and distant,self centered and heartless and have no empathy and compassion for eachother...

The way most people feel and act is...

"As long as its someone else whos addicted and not me,i could care less"...

"As long as its someone else whos lost their job and not me,i could care less"...

"As long as its someone else whos homeless in the streets and not me,i could care less"...

"As long as i am happy,i could care less that most people are not"...

Our love for eachother...The only reason we are here...Is dying...

But when it comes to animals...its another story...

People who have a strong emotional connection to animals and think they are displaying human-like qualities, are suffering emotional detachments from their fellow humans,displayed in the fact that they would show more empathy for a homeless dog than they would show for a homeless person...

They cant,or dont want to really try,to have a normally functioning relationship with another person,so they give their feelings to animals instead...

A person can never become a homeless dog,so theres no emotional issues to face,no denials to let go of,when seeing and then helping a dog out of their homeless situation...

But there is a very strong emotional link involved when a person sees another person who is homeless.When face to face with a homeless person,the people who display more empathy and compassion for animals than people,will not help the homeless person,but will instead ignore them and walk away...

And that is called...Denial...

Because to help a homeless person,is to also face the truth that they themselves could very easily become homeless.Could one day find themselves in the same situation and are only a couple of paychecks away from it and rather than face those facts,they will be denied,shown in their total lack of empathy and compassion for people and at the same time open and loving arms for animals...

We as a race of people are ever more quickly moving towards our own extinction.Because of our almost total lack of empathy and compassion for eachother.We are living in denial and could care less and so we most likely will have deserved it,should it ever happen...

For the cruel and thoughtless ways we treat eachother,the death of our love for one another,is what will destroy us in the end...

edit on 18-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I care for the innocent...animals are completely innocent...
edit on 18-11-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
If you are in a profession that cares for people you will get burned out and used up quickly. There are many reasons for this. You see how little people appreciate the help. You see them turn around and burn you after you helped them. You see them return to their destructive situations time and time again nullifying any help they receive. It is hard to help people. Those who spend their lives helping people usually end up needing a lot of help.

All that being said, I didn't say don't help. Just be careful and know what you are getting into.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I have found this patently untrue and just a figure of speech.

Generally speaking people who treat human beings abominably always treat helpless animals worse.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
This issue is really striking in war movies. A little while ago, my academic cohort and I (mostly women) watched the movie 300 for fun because we were studying Ancient Greece. If you've seen 300, it's ridiculously gory and people are dying all over the place. We're all sitting around, laughing, having a general good time. Then one of the horses gets killed, and all of a sudden, all of us start saying "awww!" in sympathy for the horse. But wait, a second ago, three or four nameless soldiers just got impaled with a sword! What are we doing? Why are we like this?

The issue of innocence, as the above poster said, could be key. We might think that because animals do not cause pain, but humans cause pain, that it's alright when a human gets killed, or at least, we are desensitized. We are the same way when children get hurt. Maybe we just do not have compassion for people with no names. When a main character of a war movie dies, we generally feel something, so maybe the problem is that we are willing to accept all animals, but not willing to accept humans who we don't know.

Anyways, it's this kind of mentality that leaves so many people in our world wanting, because these people are faceless to us and we are desensitized to their pain.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
At some point I used to ponder this myself, I came to the conclusion that everyone has a passion for something. Their is enough love to go around for both people and animals..everyone has a job so to speak..some have more compassion for animals....some have more compassion for people. It's not really for me to judge who's right or wrong or who's making a difference or not..anyone who cares, who loves other living things..and is willing to put forth the effort to do something about it...is in my mind..an Angel. Cheers Coco

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Listen from 2:15, pretty much sums us up in a nutshell...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
People treat dogs and cats nice thats for sure. They also put chickens and baby cows on their plate for dinner. So i disagree with your argument. I think people dont help the homeless over (in your example) a stray dog because they think its the homeless dudes FAULT hes homeless, where the animal is a without fault.

But, I think you brought up a good point in looking at how people are afraid of seeing themselves in the addict and homeless, people identify themselves with this and that, acceptible addictions of entitlement and materialism, so their frailty as a human is just as real as the addict on the street, they just dont want to see their addiction.
edit on 18-11-2011 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I personally am quite the empathic creature, and have helped many humans in my life, and tried to help many many more. (you simply cannot help everyone)

But these days I have become quite the recluse as it has been a number of years since I have seen a human that in the end just wants things from me other than simple and decent friendship.

It is easy to make the statements above yet realistically our race is lost and self destructing...greed and need seem to come before new friends.

Me, I will stay out of the way. I will lock myself away from humanity and enjoy the animal friends I spend my time with. Works for me.

I have helped animals, and I have helped humans in the last few years....The simple fact is the animals appreciate the help, the humans just take advantage of my giving nature so much that it simply breaks my heart over and over...

I can understand what it is that is being said, but I have seen enough of the hurt, so much so that although I am certainly no loner, it is what I have become because of the true ugliness of humans

I hereby disclaim humans....ugly destructive violent arrogant creatures.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jcord

You put it right, its hard to work with street folk without getting attatched to an expectation they will eventually help themselves.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Waste of time trying to educate anyone in these threads.

Focus on the wrapping, pay no attention to the product inside.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dude69
I care for the innocent...animals are completely innocent...
edit on 18-11-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)
There is right now at this very moment ,hundreds if not thousands of young children that are homeless,in every city in the world...And they are innocent as well..

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Something weird happened to the American psyche when we quit keeping domesticated animals, like chickens, or cows.

It's real easy to say that animals are innocent until you've had a fox get in your henhouse and go on a killing spree for no good reason - one hen would have fed it but it killed all 30 and left the bodies laying...

Or some 4 legged critter just runs your cow to death watching it's udders swing and leaves the poor exhausted beast laying there to die, without taking a bite.

I lost the love of my life a couple of weeks back to a hawk attack. She wasn't small enough for it to pick up and carry off, but it managed to break her back. Of course I saw her kill plenty of mice and insects, sometimes playing with them before she (or one of us) finished them off.

Animals really aren't innocent. It's just that we are top of the top on the predator chain, their capacity to cause harm to others pales in comparison to ours.
edit on 18-11-2011 by hadriana because: I said 4 letter creature. That's kinda funny to imagine.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

But we never really know who might have an epiphany while perusing these posts
Cheers Coco

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
And all those stories i have read,of people running out onto thin ice,or into raging rivers to save a dog and those people usually end up being the ones who drown,while the animal they were trying to save,swims to shore...

Seriously...I dont know wether to laugh or cry?

I wonder what they would have done if a homeless drug addict fell through the ice...Hmmmm?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I guess one thing's good.

I know a lot of people that eat meat. I'm one of them.
I don't know anyone that eats the homeless or the drug addicted people.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

edit on 18-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: double post?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I guess one thing's good.

I know a lot of people that eat meat. I'm one of them.
I don't know anyone that eats the homeless or the drug addicted people.
They are eaten alive from within by a society that first created their sad and sorry situation and then chooses to ignore them,because its easier to live in denial,instead of facing the cold and hard truth...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

We slaughter and eat animals.
We do not usually slaughter and eat other humans.

S&F btw. Good read.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
A non addicted person with a home,looking at a homeless drug addict,is like looking into a mirror,that casts back a reflection of what they could very easily become and it hurts to see what they might someday be and that is why the homeless drug addict is shunned and ignored by most people...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join