It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Science of Sarcasm? Yeah, Right

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I thought this was a great read as many of my posts have not been taken in the spirit intended. I've really been trying to dial back the sarcasm lately with the understanding that it's sometimes hard for people to pick up on when text based. I also found this part interesting:

But among strangers, sarcasm use soars if the conversation is via an anonymous computer chat room as opposed to face to face, according to a study by Jeffrey Hancock, a communications professor at Cornell University. This may be because it’s safer to risk some biting humor with someone you’re never going to meet. He also noted that conversations typed on a computer take more time than a face to face discussion. People may use that extra time to construct more complicated ironic statements.

I suppose that's fairly obvious to most of us. If you have no real accountability it's far easier to be snippy, rude or sarcastic. I'd say I'm just a tiny bit more likely to do these things on ATS then in real life. This is the only forum here I actually try to be polite though.

What say you fellow members? Do you feel like you can pick up on sarcasm easily? Are you more likely to be sarcastic online? Have I said sarcastic too many times in this post?

Here is a post reply I had to make today because my detector malfunctioned.

My bad. I have trouble interpreting text sometimes I thought you were being a bully. I get your point now.

Link to article

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Very true...sometimes its hard to pick up on Sarcasm in text form. Some of us are better at expressing it than others, as well.....In text sometimes the intended meaning falls apart without the visual and audible cues you get when in person. Speaking of sarcasm.....Have you seen The World's Most Sarcastic Gorilla yet?

edit on 17-11-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: Plumb

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The biggest problem with sarcasm is not that it might lose something in the translation, but that it is maddeningly unavoidable to ironically mock and deride sarcasm without employing it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
bahaha.
So true.

The other problem with sarcasm is that it is generally employed by people who have some vague semblance of intelligence, and misunderstood by those who don't.

Can't do much about THAT side of the problem...

but yes, a text-based format doesn't help.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It's hard to interpret some types of sarcasm through the computer screen, but people can learn what sarcasm techniques won't be communicated. But then some people understand that, and when they get the reaction they know that it shouldn't have had, they say JK!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I do use sarcasm in text. I usually also include obvious verbal cues, at least obvious to me. And people generally always miss the cues. People really need paralanguage to pick it up.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

and misunderstood by those who don't.

That's why they invented these:

...etc

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]I think sometimes it's easier to pick up on it in person.

The way you type it, might not not come off as you intended to the other person.

S&F, Sir...
edit on 17-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by Awen24

...etc

None of those are quite up to the job. As I recall, within the last year there was somebody that claimed to have created an icon for it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Well there was this thread back in May of 2010 (note the sarcasm throughout the OP, if it wasn't evident that is):

MUST READ! Software to Detect Sarcasm has Been Developed!!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by Awen24

...etc

None of those are quite up to the job. As I recall, within the last year there was somebody that claimed to have created an icon for it.

[color=mediumorchid]These are the closest I can come up with..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Sir...

See right there I knew it was sarcasm. I'm learning!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Mood: So Serious

..from your mini-profile...well done!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I can be just as sarcastic off the internet.

So there.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

The other problem with sarcasm is that it is generally employed by people who have some vague semblance of intelligence, and misunderstood by those who don't.

True true. I believe common sense has a lot to do with it as well.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

..from your mini-profile...well done!

Ha! Thanks! Or were you being a smartass... This is maddening!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but I think its funny and if you don't get sarcasm your not using full function off your brains attention span

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Its easy to express sarcasm on the internet; just remember to use the sarcasm tags.

[sarcasm] Excellent thread my friend, the best I've read all day! [/sarcasm]

See; who can miss that.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

ATS is rife with bullies!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
sarcasm does lose context when you can't base body language. I like to think I'm decent at detecting it because I'm sarcastic in real life, but this isn't always the case. Sarcasm and satire are both wasted on alot of people if you think about it....real life not excluded from that.
Good post S&F

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join