It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Bill is an Emergency for the Internet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by falseveils

I'm a bit surprised at the low interest of the subject at ATS, ads and banners about this bill are all over the web.

I'm surprised too. There are a couple threads on this subject from a few months ago that didn't get much attention then either.

Look at this thread below from July 11, 2011... Only two responses besides my recent one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
People will care when they get disconnected.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by e11888

You are correct. I am one of these GODS and you must bow to me. How dare you think you could be free? I OWN YOU. Now bow down right now and I will spare your life.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by notonsamepage

Or maybe they'll go outside?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So under this bill, if I played a copyrighted song on my guitar, and posted it to youtube, I could go to jail? WTF?
All this will do is kill the internet for the US. All creative minds will just have to leave the country, because they don't have these stupid rules anywhere else. Well, except China, and they all already know how to get around it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynefriElm
reply to post by notonsamepage

Or maybe they'll go outside?

so true, but not everyone.

edit on 17-11-2011 by notonsamepage because: Oo

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Sadly, most people won't care, and actually won't even notice. All they log on to is media brainwash anyway. Only people like us will notice at first by sites like this disappearing, and there are not enough of us. Once it's too late, some of the sheeple will notice. But not many.

Just look at facebook for example. The ultimate Big Brother monitor, and EVERYONE is signing up and posting all their info all over the place. They don't even have to spy on anyone, the sheeple GIVE it to them.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There were two other threads posted on this just this week. I read both yesterday. The titles and concerns were different. I think this goes back to August, not sure. It's two Bills, one from the Senate and one from the House combined to one final Bill.
edit on 11/17/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yes, one of the bills is called Protect IP Act 2011 S.968

The other is called Stop Online Piracy Act H.R. 3261

This video is from July 2011

This is from June 2011

Anonymous message from May 2011

edit on 17-11-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: add video

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
There should be more threads for petition signing, this is a good way to get the ATS voices heard.
It would be good to even have a separate "Petition Signing" forum. People should be able to voice their opinion more often rather than just venting and stating problems to people that can't really do anything anyways.
More petitions please.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
here is a crazy idea just create our own internet...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The only way i can see that they can stop people from using the internet is by stopping you at the provider. lets say im using BT (british telecom) BT can cut my access to the internet stopping me and millions of others from logging on. BUT the draw back on that is the amount of money they'd lose is staggering. WHEY more than the bribes added together.

IF we get cut off people will cancel / stop paying to use a landline since were all on mobiles now. think about it.
as early posts have said, they cant just censor the internet its to big and vast. people will continue to break the law and they'll fill up their Court rooms. i cant see this happening.

Plus there is always other ways to get "online"

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Here is a bit more information and analysis from Threatlevel

Analysis: Internet Blacklist Bill Is Roadmap to ‘The End’ of the Internet

Noteworthy

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-California), was quoted in the Hill newspaper Thursday that it has no chance of passage

brill
edit on 17-11-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The last thing our government and corporations need is more power. I've been meaning to start a thread about this for days and forgot. Thanks OP.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm a little sketched out it asked for all my info. but signed it anyway.

S&F because if the internet is cenorsed we all lose. Seriously, think about all the information on this site alone... GONE!

Anything about the 9/11 truth movement GONE (BTW: was given this link earlier, might interest some www.cluesforum.info...)

Any of the obscure details we have put together about our true human origins GONE.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah, I saw this on another site yesterday and signed up. S&F.. hopefully we can tell them where to stick this bill.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
Nobody owns the internet!!!

Actually... That is a major misconception.

Even though the internet may appear to be free, the reality is that it is owned by service providers. If the internet was not owned by anyone specific, the entire infrastructure would have collapsed quickly. In order to access all online content, you need to 'purchase' an account from a provider. Website owners pay yearly fees to service providers, domain registrars, and hosting sites. Only major corporations and sites have their own facilities. Regardless about how you swing the pendulum, the internet is owned by corporations that provide you a service to access online content.

Look up:
- The National Science Foundation
- The Internet Engineering Task Force
- ICANN
- InterNIC
- The Internet Architecture Board

edit on 11/17/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I thought that this was such an important issue that I CALLED my Representative in DC, rather than send him my usual email (which if it gets answered at all, gets answered much too far in the future) asking him to vote NO! I did not know that there was a Petition to sign, so I'll do that, too...
I only got to speak to his assistant who did not know my Rep's stance on the issue.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Signing petitions, voting, whining, etc. will do nothing. We are dealing with people who ignore us. So, the only solution is to ignore them, and their stupid bills. The internet is their greatest enemy and they hate not having control over it. They can draw up all the bills they like but they don't mean jack squat unless someone honors and obeys them. They can use their henchmen to TRY and enforce the 'law' but they can't throw us all in jail. They have no power but what we allow them to have. We truly are too big too fail, and will not be corralled into a one-way, closed communication system where THEY can feed us their daily propaganda and dictate what information we can and cannot view. These self-proclaimed arbitrators of our 'freedoms' can take a flying [insert explitive here]. The time is long overdue for some serious ostracism of these criminals who are steering us into more enslavement. Withdraw your support. Non-compliance. No service, no taxes, and no respect to our (mis)leaders.
edit on 17-11-2011 by audiopackrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

Very true. Sadly the wrong people (corporations are people right?) own the internet. Perhaps us ATSers could string together a series of twine and tin cans to communicate, but I don't want Elevatedone or Skeptic Overlord snipping my connection! Also, my horrible crush on Greeneyedleo would surely get my twine cut. Dat voice.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join