It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Bill is an Emergency for the Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

This Bill is an Emergency for the Internet

americancensorship.org

"It contains provisions that will chill innovation. It contains provisions that will tinker with the fundamental fabric of the internet. It gives private corporations the power to censor. And best of all, it bypasses due legal process to do much of it."
- James Allworth (Harvard Business School)

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
arstechnica.com
www.feld.com
www.eff.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:
www.opencongress.org

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ponder these statements for a few minutes..and sign the petition. Nobody owns the internet!!!

"These bills were written by the content industry without any input from the technology industry. And they are trying to fast track them through congress and into law without any negotiation with the technology industry."
- Fred Wilson (Union Square Ventures)

"SOPA, regrettably, represents a big step backward in Washington's efforts to support the digital revolution, one of the only sectors of the economy that continues to grow."
- Larry Downes (TechFreedom)

"[SOPA would] overturn the long-accepted principles and practices [of the DMCA] in favor of a one-sided enforcement mechanism that is far more broad than existing law while not attempting to protect the rights of anyone accused of copyright infringement."
- Gigi B. Sohn (President of Public Knowledge)

"It contains provisions that will chill innovation. It contains provisions that will tinker with the fundamental fabric of the internet. It gives private corporations the power to censor. And best of all, it bypasses due legal process to do much of it."

"The main "enforcement" mechanism in these bills is to put liability on third party service providers coming from the tech industry, undermining the safe harbors of the DMCA and the legal framework that has allowed tons of important internet platforms to evolve."
- Mike Masnick (TechDirt)

americancensorship.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

Some more info for people:

HR 3261 - Stop Online Piracy Act - House version

S. 968: Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011- Senate version

The House Bill has just been sent to committee with no assignment as of yet.
The Senate Bill was referred to committee as well as reported to committee - one step father than the house counterpart.

Both chambers bills contain different information, so the only way either of these become law is if they get referred to a joint committee and the 2 bills merged into one both houses will support.

It looks like the Senate version has had a majority of its bill struck out.
edit on 17-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I wonder how deep this is tied into the general resistance growing amongst the general population. If you censor the only voices that are still free you control the minds of many.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
You're wrong. Our Gods own the internet just like they own this country and this world. How dare we as free and brave people think that we have any rights in this world? They own us. We are but a number to these control freaks.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by e11888
You're wrong. Our Gods own the internet just like they own this country and this world. How dare we as free and brave people think that we have any rights in this world? They own us. We are but a number to these control freaks.

Soooooo we are just going to surrender the field without mounting any defense or offence? I dont know about you but im not a fan of the Custer defense, nor am I willing to just give in.

Get involved, call / write your reps, be heard. Get invovled.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Get proactive....

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
An online petition to save the internet

www.avaaz.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I can't believe this isn't getting more attention on here. This bill would give TPTB crazymad arresting powers. Correct me if I'm wrong but am I right in understanding they can toss you in jail if you put ANY copyrighted stuff online. Like you post a video of your gf dancing to copyrighted music and they can take you down.

I seriously hope this doesn't go through. If it does I hope anonymous takes some serious internet vigilantism! Anon is great, they are like batman of the internet.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Everyone who values freedom should read and flag this thread.

Very valuable.

People should spam this everywhere, get as many people aware as possible.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There are a few online petitions you can sign to try and prevent this bill from passing.

Please watch this short video and if you agree sign the petitions.

Web article containing the petitions and video above
This is imoportant - You should know about this

Petitions
americancensorship.org...

act.demandprogress.org...

Irony Alert: The House is holding hearings on sweeping Internet censorship legislation this week -- and it's censoring the opposition! The bill is backed by Hollywood, Big Pharma, and the Chamber of Commerce, and all of them are going to get to testify at the hearing.

But the bill's opponents -- tech companies, free speech and human rights activists, and hundreds of thousands of Internet users -- won't have a voice.

As if you need a reminder: This is the most offensive Internet legislation we've seen in years. It will give the government and corporations new powers to block Americans' access to sites that are accused of copyright infringement, force sites like YouTube to go to new lengths to police users' contributions, and put people in prison for streaming certain content online.

This sham of a hearing represents everything that's broken about our political system. Will you sign the petition at right, demanding that opponents of the Blacklist Bill be allowed to testify this week? (It'll generate an email to them too.)

PETITION TO JUDICIARY CHAIRMAN LAMAR SMITH AND RANKING MEMBER JOHN CONYERS: The so-called "Stop Online Piracy Act" will kill innovation and undermine free speech rights. You need to give the hundreds of thousands of Americans who've spoken out against it a chance to make our case at this week's hearings.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Eh.

This is why you should use products protected by the GPL and Kopyleft.

Let the "Industry Leaders" keep their trivial products to themselves.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
We need a search light to shine up in the sky to call Anonymous and other hacktavists to action - kind of like the bat signal.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Rep. Howard Berman [D, CA-28] $298,550
Rep. Steny Hoyer [D, MD-5] $178,450
Rep. Eric Cantor [R, VA-7] $157,850
Rep. James Clyburn [D, SC-6] $139,750
Rep. Anna Eshoo [D, CA-14] $134,200
Rep. John Boehner [R, OH-8] $134,150
Rep. Xavier Becerra [D, CA-31] $120,594
Rep. Henry Waxman [D, CA-30] $119,700
Rep. Michael Capuano [D, MA-8] $113,450
Rep. Jay Inslee [D, WA-1] $105,900

Sen. Harry Reid [D, NV] $486,700
Sen. Charles Schumer [D, NY] $473,500
Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA] $368,289
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY] $352,525
Sen. Patrick Leahy [D, VT] $346,000
Sen. Michael Bennet [D, CO] $243,068
Sen. Patty Murray [D, WA] $195,459
Sen. Richard Burr [R, NC] $185,900
Sen. Roy Blunt [R, MO] $155,300
Sen. Charles Grassley [R, IA] $141,700

The above is a list of those involved who received donations from the companies backing the Bill and how much. Need I say more? It's already decided.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
More than your own freedom may depend on your willingness to take action.

The Internet in it's current dynamics is invaluable for the free circulation of information. You can hire as many trolls as you want, make as much information noise as you want. As has been said - the truth is viral.

Defend your platform of information supply

These bills, I believe, are more than anything a psychological tool. Setting the precedent to incrementally introduce censorship and control in the web. TPTB will try to restructure the internet to their own interest in a short time span, we have to make a lot of noise about this. TBH, I'm a bit surprised at the low interest of the subject at ATS, ads and banners about this bill are all over the web.
edit on 17-11-2011 by falseveils because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

This post gave me a sad face =\

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
if you visit 4chang.com the home of anonymous, there is a pop up to write congress and oppose the bill. dont know if it is from the actual owners of the site but it seems too early for it to be spam.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
We all know what happens to over-regulation within a system: It drives the users underground.

I work in IT support for a large multinational with incredibly strict security systems on all the client machines.

I recover encrypted hard drives full of user's projects and archives - all of which should be backed up on servers that are always running at full capacity.

We don't have control over the policies, security control or permissions on the networks we maintain but we are expected to bypass this red tape on a daily basis to satisfy our customers.

Needless to say, this has turned all the support engineers into hackers who are unable to do their job unless unofficial methods are used to perform recoveries or to transfer user's data to a new location.
Being caught bypassing security would mean we would be "walked off site". This happened once for an engineer caught with network sniffing software on his machine.

We know we can get away with the occasional hack or crack because of the 60,000+ clients and servers across campus. They can't regulate, censor or control that many machines.

How would they go about censoring the internet? Think about it. It would be like censoring every book that was ever written plus every magazine and newspaper published daily..

Bring this empty threat on I say!

If this makes them feel they are finally in control of the last bastion of free speech, We will show them they are in control of nothing more than an outdated system.

edit on 17/11/2011 by lostjohnny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

This bill is an emergency alright. Emergency for the criminals who are getting caught and spread across the world by people on the internet. David Rockefeller said the internet was the wsorst thing they ever created. H. Clinton said we were inan information war and they were losing it. Look at what happened with wiki leaks and the uproar that followed. They are screaming to shut down the internet like a call to batton down the hatches. TPTB are in deep trouble the people are on the move..

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The internet is like a huge lan party with many people doing whatever they wanna do, if a bill passes for censoring the lan party it will only send the nerds on a quest bypassing the bs from the Gov..

and our lan party will continue.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join