It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A weird thing at the Hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I recently had a trip to the Hospital and noticed something kinda strange.

The Nurses and Interns had there name tags turned arround so you could not see there names.

Is this some kind of securty issue?

Does anyone know?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Everyone or just a few people? That is weird.. with all of the HIPAA laws, privacy is insane, but for a medical professional to do it is a bit strange. Was this a particularly sensitive ward or section or just the general ER?

Were they badges on lanyards or those inch high ones that pin onto clothing?

If they were the loose type - could just be poor design so the things kept flipping around.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
i used to work in that field and we would turn our name badges around because(this is horrible), we didn't want the patients calling for us by name all the time. i'm gonna get it for that in my next life.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It was just the general hospital

And it was the kind you pin thats why I noticed it was because they had to PIN it that way

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychosgirl
i used to work in that field and we would turn our name badges around because(this is horrible), we didn't want the patients calling for us by name all the time. i'm gonna get it for that in my next life.

OK I guess that settles that Conspericy

But for EVERYONE to do it?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Found an interesting thread on a nurses site: allnurses.com...

Many were covering badges or not wearing them because their last names were printed on them, and for personal safety and security, they did not want them shown. Wearing them backwards prevents them being punished for defacing them, or not wearing them.

If you ever go back (hopefully you don't have to) ask 'em why

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
My Bad it wasnt everyone

My wife was more coherent during this and can explain it better

So without futher ado.......

My better half.......

hey there, the two people in the E.R.,a man and woman that was not the nurse that was tending to him had their name tags backwards when they came in with the two nurses that had been there all along. Then after i went by the E.R to get a pop out of the machine in the waiting room about 15 minutes after he was taken to a room they had them turned around the right way??? I paid attention to hers and she was a E.M.T. trainee and she was the one to start his I.V. maybe she was getting in some unarthorized training????. Then the RN that came on for night shift had the same thing going too, that is what got my antenne up, cause when she came back in before i left she had on a short sleved smock pulled so you couldn't make out her name????? Hummm seeing boogiemen???

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
alot of people don't like their last name printed on name badges. i don't. we didn't mind the patients knowing our first names, but alot of people come in and out of a hospital and crazy stuff happens. i bet over half my co-workers didn't know my last name. we all used to turn our badges around.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm a nursing student, but I wear my ID tag flipped over when I do a clinical- I don't want everyone to know my last name.

It makes sense in the Psych ward, but I can't see flipping it when I do a rotation in Pediatrics, or surgery.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbo
I'm a nursing student, but I wear my ID tag flipped over when I do a clinical- I don't want everyone to know my last name.

It makes sense in the Psych ward, but I can't see flipping it when I do a rotation in Pediatrics, or surgery.

It may be a confidentialty thing as people have posted. i keep my last name covered, but admin frowns on that. Its weird to see the whole hospital doing it.

Amuk was it on an off shift?

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
In Oz, all nurses and staff only have their first name in large font on the i.d. with 'rank' serial# ect.
The last name is in a very small font. All the clearance is done via barcode and pin.

Doctors ect usually carry them in their pocket. (they get in the way when you bend forward)

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Amuk was it on an off shift?

It was first shift OR third I dont know when they change. It was kinda funny to me because it was our county hospital, our county which would max out at about thirty thousand people twenty of which is in Van Buren.

What I am saying is everybody knows everybody ANYHOW.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I used to wear mine backwards because I did not care for the way the picture came out, and the hospital would not take more then one shot. You pretty much had to lose the ID and pay them for a new one if you wanted another picture taken.

new topics

top topics

join