It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New findings about Jupiter's intriguing moon Europa.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
What time is the press release ? Nasas website has no mention of any of it !

I just turned on the NASA channel, it's on now!. The title is "Europa's Hidden Lakes". Sounds really interesting!
edit on 16-11-2011 by Charizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It seems it will be on Europa's hidden lakes.
Starts right now.
edit on 16-11-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Brittany the speaker for NASA has an eyebrow ring.
Alrighty then.

This is going to be a long drawn out way of saying "maybe".

Edit at 1:31pm - Yep, a long and fancy way of saying maybe on life being there. Waste of time.

edit on 16-11-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Firefly_

If you're an astrobiologist or astrophysicist, the news is extremely exciting.

If you're a conspiracy nut waiting for complete disclosure, of course the news will be nothing special...

edit on 16/11/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

I wasn't aware that people who like to see outside the box are nuts. Nice to know it now.

It's not thinking outside the box you nuts are doing, it's expecting the same result over and over again. And that is nuts.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

It's not thinking outside the box you nuts are doing, it's expecting the same result over and over again. And that is nuts.

Anyone who calls everyone who researches conspiracies "nuts" do not know what's really going on, period.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
So what was discussed because I turned it there right when it finished.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here's a outline of what they were presenting, complete with an illustration thy used in the conference today.

www.spaceref.com

Something I alluded to on page one.

But surface chemical reactions would do no good unless they can reach the subsurface ocean, deep fissures would be necessary for and we are talking 50 to 100 miles of a crust thickness. this post

Referencing this part.

"The potential for exchange of material between the surface and subsurface is a big key for astrobiology," says Wes Patterson, a planetary scientist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md., and a co-author of the study.

"Now we see evidence that it's a thick ice shell that can mix vigorously, and new evidence for giant shallow lakes. That could make Europa and its ocean more habitable."

edit on 16-11-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by Jepic

Anyone who calls everyone who researches conspiracies "nuts" do not know what's really going on, period.

Nobody is calling conspiracy theorists nuts.
We are talking about the people who time and time again expect disclosure to happen everytime NASA announces a meeting.

I also find people that only await for the big news (existance of ET life) incredibly boring because there is so much more out there than discovering ET life.

There are so many exciting things like the discovery of DNA on a comet, bacterial life in very hot planets, etc... These discoveries are as big if not bigger than discovering ET. And as a future scientist I can't wait to get out there and start discovering and exploring some of this samples.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
www.spaceref.com...

»» Evidence for Subsurface Lake on Europa Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - Scientists have discovered what appears to be a body of liquid water the volume of the North American Great Lakes locked inside the icy shell of Jupiter's moon Europa - which could represent a new potential habitat for li

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Alda1981

A term of endearment, I assure you.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
here is the link to the abstract as published in Nature. Will see if I can get the whole article soon.

www.nature.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Interesting none the less. Hopefully we learn more about this moon in the years to come
edit on 16-11-2011 by Vaxar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
WOW

so we have oxygen..an atmosphere...and now..this

Great Lakes

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This is great!
But should we attempt any landings on Europa?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Thanks for the Nature abstract, but it seems when I went to this link from work, I saw what looked like a complete article. So when I got home I went to save it and it was just a quarter page?! I wonder if we somehow have a group subscription at work, or does Nature usually show more of an article and then cut it down later, and request a fee? Either way I'm disappointed, but feel compelled to go back to the office and check. Any thoughts on what could have happened?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by Jepic

Nobody is calling conspiracy theorists nuts.
We are talking about the people who time and time again expect disclosure to happen everytime NASA announces a meeting.

I also find people that only await for the big news (existance of ET life) incredibly boring because there is so much more out there than discovering ET life.

There are so many exciting things like the discovery of DNA on a comet, bacterial life in very hot planets, etc... These discoveries are as big if not bigger than discovering ET. And as a future scientist I can't wait to get out there and start discovering and exploring some of this samples.

When you are talking about 'ET' life in whatever form, so are are most of the rest of us. I find the remainder of your post confusing and contradictory, and heaped in condescension. Your saving grace is your perceived enthusiasm.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
As I (very vaguely) understand its surface could be ice, therefore underneath there could technically be a moving ocean, although it would be very, very cold it could in support life. Micro-bacteria in all likelihood. Still i hope the announcement is about that, it would be nice to have some official line that there is other life in the Universe, which obviously there must be somewhere...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Why do they always dress it up with quotes like "there may be possibility of life." When we all know they don't give a fig about that, they only want to exploit the gas and energy.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Lest we forget:

'All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landings there'

At the very least we should create HAL as a spacecraft computer beforehand, maybe this time it should be created by Apple and not IBM

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
reply to post by Atzil321

well well well...

examinig the speakers I can tell that it might be some news regarding possibility of life on Europa

Astrobiology

Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution, and future of life in the universe. This interdisciplinary field encompasses the search for habitable environments in our Solar System and habitable planets outside our Solar System, the search for evidence of prebiotic chemistry, laboratory and field research into the origins and early evolution of life on Earth, and studies of the potential for life to adapt to challenges on Earth and in outer space. Astrobiology addresses the question of whether life exists beyond Earth, and how humans can detect it if it does.[2] (The term exobiology is similar but more specific — it covers the search for life beyond Earth, and the effects of extraterrestrial environments on living things)[3]

Not really. There's been an astrobiologist at every press conference. This will be another yawner like the rest.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join