It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland's cost to city soars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Occupy Oakland's cost to city soars

www.sfgate.com

Oakland's costs to its host city are growing - and no end is in sight.

As of Oct. 28, the city had already spent $1 million for police and public works costs related to the tent city in Frank Ogawa Plaza, and for replacing glass in public buildings that was smashed in a pair of protests. It hasn't totaled up its expenses since then, but they skyrocketed with Monday's police sweep to clear out the encampment outside City Hall.

The outside law enforcement agencies that sent officers to help Oa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Ok so pro-OWS'ers will complain about police brutality, but will any of them acknowledge the costs of this BS?

At the very least?????

A real organized protest would have proper goals, a list of demands and be both non-violent and respect both public and private property.

Sadly it's not the case here!

Police costs aren't the only drain on city finances. About 80 employees of the Public Works Department were in Frank Ogawa Plaza on Monday, cleaning debris and graffiti and assessing damage to trees and the irrigation system.

They are paid an average of $25 an hour, said Vitaly Troyan, the public works director. Assuming they worked an eight-hour day, that would be $16,000 a day to clean up the plaza.

The plaza's grass was destroyed and will cost about $30,000 to replace

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting ridiculoussssssssssssss
What a bunch of idiots man

I feel sorry for the next generation if they gather more support and expand their influence.

OWS gives protesters a bad name!
They should all go home, continue living with their parents and just SHUT UP!!!!!!!!

My GOD!
What a bunch of hooligans

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I know, everyone's already heard protests cost money.

I think one of the whole points of civil disobedience is to disrupt things in order to make a point.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

at least the money is getting put back into the city and not stuffed in the pockets of the cronies in charge

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Sweet, Occupy protesters are giving jobs to people, when they themselves can't get one! How thoughtful...

Well I agree with OWS in concept, though I agree some people do more harm than good. HOWEVER, are the cops necessary? If they were truly irritated, could they just leave the people alone? I mean, obviously their presence isn't doing much now but further riling them up.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I believe that was the plan. Police states cost tons of money. If the city wants to work for the Globalists banks let them pick up the tab. They did in NYC. The police should be loving this folks instead of all the hate. Its been the best pay checks they have probably ever seen.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nolordbutme

So, instead of the taxpayers' money staying in their pockets or going to school it will get diverted to damage repair? That's not a good deal.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

If the police just walked away, do you think the damage and citizen complaints would go up or down?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
A couple million is just a drop in the bucket to how much any sizable US city spends on kickbacks, bonuses and frivolousness programs whose bloated budgets are lining the pockets of friends of city officials. The entire system is broken and needs to be restructured. If these protest help bring attention to the problems it's money well spent.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think this is part of what OWS is fighting for; a system where the actions of government doesn’t burden the public economically.

I agree with the poster above a few posts..
If the cops walked away the cost would go down.

The government made the choice to commit to oppression, yet we pay the price?
Just another reason you are the 99%

link   
reply to post by charles1952

Well I am sure initially it would spike, and those people would be dealt with lawfully and like everyone else. However, stationing police somewhere is when the city "assumes" something is going to happen. I partially believe that the protesters will act differently in the presence of police. Plus, peaceful protesting, unfortunately, gets nowhere the majority of times. Don't you think that the cops are a bit provocative, ESPECIALLY in Oakland?

Like I said, I don't agree with everyone's reason for being there or how everyone is going about doing it, but I do think that everyone has a right to be in public with other people. Isn't that all it really is? Cops were stationed there on day one, before anything happened is my guess.

link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Sweet, Occupy protesters are giving jobs to people, when they themselves can't get one! How thoughtful...

Well I agree with OWS in concept, though I agree some people do more harm than good. HOWEVER, are the cops necessary? If they were truly irritated, could they just leave the people alone? I mean, obviously their presence isn't doing much now but further riling them up.

I am self employed and support OWS because I am in favor of a revolution and I think OWS would be a good place to start it, as many others out there. Thanks for labeling me, you don't know us.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

You are correct, I should not have labeled you. I hope you accept my apology if you truly took offense, but this would operate much better under both respectful authority and respect to authority. They work well together and takes responsibility on both parts. I'm not saying you aren't doing your part, I am saying that from what I have seen in my own local Occupy movement, there are people that are there that are looking for handouts! What kinda bull# is that? Unfortunately, that seems to be a majority of the people, not minority. People who want change first must be willing to help it get to that point. I agree with people (likely someone like you) that is there for mutual benefit, not solely under the pretense of personal gain. Again, apologies for my generalized comment.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

But you seem to be forgetting that it comes from the average Joe taxpayer. They're going to have to cough up extra money just to get things back to where they were before Occupy. And it's an expense nobody ever voted on. You can see, can't you, how it's going to irritate some people to learn that Occupy made their taxes go up? (Or perhaps services will go down, one or the other.)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

And your still worried about the money! Ha,its funny and sickening at the same time..
This is the whole point of OWS, let's close wall street down,N17!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

the difference in the "handouts" is they are asked for not demanded
end of post enough said!!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Those are good points. I'd like it even better if OO policed themselves. That would be great publicity.

Concerning the provocative police, you may have a very good point. OO has been pretty "active," and I wonder if the police are a little frightened. Maybe stopped thinking straight.

This probably wouldn't work, but I wonder if both sides could take a week off. Everybody leave the area. During that time OO and the city could discuss what needs to be done, then things could start over with less stress. I'd be for it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The OWS crowd will do anything to justify the cost. Will use any excuse. People get hurt? Collateral damage.
Bussinesses get hurt? Collateral damage.
They could care less about the "99%" A bunch of whiny entitlement babies, is what they've become.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Tell them to send the bill to the 1% (which apparently now includes Michael Moore)

edit on 14-11-2011 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by malicacid922002

the difference in the "handouts" is they are asked for not demanded

Wth is that supposed to mean? Everyone gets handouts as long as you say pretty-please or what?
"Oh please can everyone else take care of me, pretty please? Life is SO hard, heeelp because I can't do it myself!"
"Sure thing, you DID ask nicely!"
Like I said, it's a mutual responsibility. Lots of people work very hard, including some at the Occupy protests. The gov and the people need to both do their part for society to function at a high level. There are problems on both sides, please don't negatively contribute to our side, and though things may be looking up a little we are already kind of losing the battle.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join