It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is China Building These Gigantic Structures In the Middle of the Desert?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So oddly, MSN decides to cover this topic as well.... not sure how That makes me feel..

MSN on chinas 'odd land markings'

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
And a random thought that just occurred to me:

What if these sites are supposed to get attention, as to distract from something else....
I suppose they have been there a while so what they are covering up....

Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted but I found this site on Google Maps just now:

Kind of looks interesting?
edit on 11/16/2011 by PennKen2009 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Reply to post by NoNameBrand

Just booking mah seat. Thanx for postingop.

2nd

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
During the early cruse missile testing by the US navy they found a problem.

During one test the missile got lost because between the time they photographed the route for the test and the test another project on the base graded a new dirt road in the desert.

When the missile got to the new road it got lost and had to be destroyed.
Some of these may be test targets for a Chinese cruse missiles and my be changed to test if the missile can over come minor changes in its tracking system.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
that is a missile test field west to DunHuang. was a test field belong to 0673 unit (0673部队) which under direct command of General Armaments Department of PLA. 21st Base (21基地/廿一基地/) has several test field in Xingjiang/gansu area including conventional weapon test fields and nuclear test fields. Several unite may unitizing these field list 8023unit and 0673unit.

those grids could be high altitude target landmark for target acquisition tests

not 100 percent sure, just some clues.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Here are some interesting images i prntscr myself, little better zoom and resolution:

btw whats this white stuff coming down the mountain on last 2 images

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
S py satellite calibrators
"The grids of zigzagging white lines seen in two of the images — the strangest of the various desert structures — are spy satellite calibration targets. Satellite cameras focus on the grids, which measure approximately 0.65 miles wide by 1.15 miles long, and use them to orient themselves in space...
.....The calibration targets are larger than might have been expected, he said, suggesting that the satellite cameras they are being used to calibrate have surprisingly poor ground resolution.
....Another strange image taken not far away shows a Stonehenge-like arrangement of objects radiating outward, with fighter jets parked at its center. "This is almost certainly a calibration/test target for orbital radar instruments," Hill said. "Since a significant amount of radar return is due to differences in surface roughness, they're probably testing ways of making the areas around planes 'bumpy"................" see link for the article from msnbc

The expert who identifies the things has a background in fields and jobs/studies that do lend creedence to his assertions.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
Maybe they aren't building anything at all,but are actually unearthing something that was forgotten and buried long ago?

Just thinking outside the box like i always try to do...
edit on 16-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)
Is there proof that something there is actually being built? Maybe they are excavating ancient ruins...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

"The grids of zigzagging white lines seen in two of the images — the strangest of the various desert structures — are spy satellite calibration targets. Satellite cameras focus on the grids, which measure approximately 0.65 miles wide by 1.15 miles long, and use them to orient themselves in space...
reply to post by kkrattiger

I gave you a star for your post, but why the strange zigzag pattern? Why not a a grid with straight lines?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Mystery solved -

Google Maps Mystery Actually Spy Satellite Targets, Expert Says

Read more:
www.foxnews.com...

Newfound Google Maps images have revealed an array of mysterious structures and patterns etched into the surface of China's Gobi Desert. The media — from mainstream to fringe — has wildly speculated that they might be Chinese weapons-testing sites, satellite calibration targets, street maps of Washington, D.C., and New York City, or even messages to (or from) aliens.

It turns out that they are almost definitely used to calibrate China's spy satellites.

So says Jonathon Hill, a research technician and mission planner at the Mars Space Flight Facility at Arizona State University, which operates many of the cameras used during NASA's Mars missions. Hill works with images of the Martian surface taken by rovers and satellites, as well as data from Earth-orbiting NASA instruments.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HallamFoe
Very interesting indeed. I checked around some of the other areas and found this...

Zoom into these coordinates on google maps: 40.488688,93.500133

Now is it just me or does this look like the American Flag? lol

Just an airfield target. The Chinese did build a target of Ching Chuan Kang Air Base in Tawain. This is located near the test airfield at Dingxin.

www.satellite-sightseer.com...

Link to satellite image of base in Taiwan

upload.wikimedia.org...

A compound at Dingxin has remnants of the old F-104 Starfighter mock-ups. Taiwan retired the F-104 in the late 1990s. There also appears to be a Mirage 2000 mock-up?

40°24'55.98"N 99°47'26.72"E

forum.keypublishing.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

The source I referenced had pictures of structures with zigzagging lines.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
They are not structures, they are lines. Calling them "structures" gives one rather inaccurate expectations.

There are plenty of similar lines in Nevada.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
So I think most of you are missing the big, crazy part of all this. This area 44° 4'14.20"N 93°54'25.72"E and it's surrounding area of square grids (not the tiny little zig zag chalk map things) is absolutely MASSIVE. If you go through the years of the pictures in the area, you can figure out just about how much area this grid covers. I did this in google earth pro and used the ruler to close this area in, there's roughly 4000 square miles of gridwork here. A great deal of it is grids (plowed? bulldozed?) that are spaced fairly far (about 2.5 miles) but then in some areas like the coordinates I gave you there are smaller spaced grids (about .35 miles apart) inside this bigger grid. All of this looks very real if you zoom all the way in, you can see erosion, sand and tire tracks crossing these lines. To add an extra layer of weirdness, throughout just about the entire area are tiny square and T shaped grids of what look like painted rocks or something and these little tiny grids line up perfectly to form another grid (separate from the plowed lines) spaced about .35 miles apart. This is all very perplexing and I don't know what to think about it. The key thing to look at here though is that this area covers 4000 square miles, this isn't some kind of city groundwork.

What are your thoughts on this massive gridwork area?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Here's a picture of the whole grid area outlined in red:

i3.photobucket.com...

Also I've found that the lines are about 80 feet wide while the tiny rock grids are about 130x75ft.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Bump, surprisingly nobody seems to care about the truly massive grids. All the attention is going to these 2 tiny little sets of zig-zaggy lines (that really aren't grids by the way), the radial and square shaped weapons testing sites, the landing strip thing, and the water treatment plant place. To me the fact that 4000 square miles of the gobi desert is covered in a mostly unbroken grid pattern is far more interesting, perplexing and terrifying than any of these other things.

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas about this? I even tried googling gobi grids but all I can find are all the other little things that have easy explanations. Nobody is talking about the big grids, it's all being swept under the rug...
edit on 21-11-2011 by decado because: typos

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Now I found another giant section of grids further west from the other section, this one is about 8200 square miles but it could be bigger. I've kind of given up finding more as it seems that half the gobi desert is covered in this.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Finding another big section, maybe 10k square miles.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by decado

Very interesting. I have read the news of alien attack from weeklyworldnews. The latest one was a joke but somehow as the writer began to publish this story, there are real life evidences related to his story.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join