It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why "you" won't bug out.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Unless the government issues an official evacuation order, the vast majority of survivalists will never actually bug out.

With the exception hurricanes, it is almost impossible to have specific warning before hand. And even with hurricanes, the government hesitates to issue a warning that later proves unnecessary--they don't want to be accused of "crying wolf" and then people ignoring all future warns.

You won't bug out before the event, because leaving means loosing everything you don't take with you, even if you are right. You'll be walking away from your home, your big-screen TV, the xbox and the wii, all the tools in your garage, all the food in your pantry and fridge, your other vehicles and so on and so forth.

Then there are ALL the human relationships you'll be walking away from. Leaving friends, any family behind forever. And worst of all, your school-work or job. You will almost certainly be fired if you are wrong; you will be ridiculed if you are a teenager, and you will be hopelessly behind if you are a collegiate or grad student, thus permanently damaging your career. And most people, even when highly motivated, cannot simply turn their backs on their entire life, and face the unknown with only a backpack.

It's easier just to stay in place "one more day," so you can "wait and see" if it really gets that bad.....

On the other hand, you won't bug out after the collapse, regardless. The roads will be hopelessly choked with hundreds of millions of fleeing refugees, who panicked and leapt into their cars with little forethought, other than to bring some crackers and a pistol. Once they get into traffic, they will idle in a hopeless traffic jam until the car runs out of gas. At that point, they will get out and start walking. Eventually, someone decides to commandeer a vehicle that still has gas in it, and that's when the shooting starts.

Don't join that crowd.

So maybe you'll try to find a back road to your bug-out sanctuary. But it turns out there's no longer any such thing as a "back road," as every single driver who avoided the jams on the interstate now gets in line to get on any road leaving the cities. And outside the metropolis, the jamming starts to form around every exit with a gas station or a walmart that might have something worth taking.

And every day, as the refugees run out of gas and food, they get more and more desperate and start shooting. And with every passing day that goes by without you joining the other lemmings, the less likely you are to want to die with them out on the pavement.

welcome to hell.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If you have a quad you're better off, fire back into the woods and you're fine, chance are people will remain on the main roads, while you zoom through the forest paths to get where you need to go.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

You described an actual scenerio that will probably happen eventually. I realized this many years ago, when we bought our home with a few acres we choose a area 150 plus miles from the nearest big city and even better it is nearly 30 miles deeper away from stores with a vass desert surrounding me, good hunting, located around plenty of water, I have a fair chance of surviving, I won't bug out unless the geographical situation becomes disturbed.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

I have already bugged out. Being very close to being self-sufficient is as close to bugging out as I will be. I will not leave (barring a catastrophic event close to me). I am out in the boonies far enough away that the city-folk won't think about me. So there.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Running from your sanctuary is possible one of the worse move many will make. Unless you absolutely have to leave your home the safest place for most to defend will be their home.

Many think just running away with a Bug-out-bag is the end all be all answer when SHTF but that will rarely be the case.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
i aint goin anywhere. i pray that squirrel meat will be enough

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

well bugging out is only for the smart and prepared.. and besides why stay put if SHTF?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
About 5 years ago, I moved from Vancouver to Saskatchewan. From a very busy city, to a province with a population of 1/5 of what the city had. People more often leave Saskatchewan, they rarely choose here unless they are getting away from people. Cold winters.

With a combination of farmland, forest, and lakes nearby, and not many people, I'm in my bug in place.
I do wish it had a higher elevation, it's only about 1600 feet above sea level, so it would depend on what happened to the world, as to how safe we are here. If water rises 1000 feet, we'll be on a large island.

Certain catastrophes, there's no getting away from, unless you have a safe underground bunker, or a cave. Even a cave has its limitations.

link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
If you have a quad you're better off, fire back into the woods and you're fine, chance are people will remain on the main roads, while you zoom through the forest paths to get where you need to go.

I hate how people think that they can just go to the woods like no else has the same idea. Every one and their grand parents think they can just go to the woods and survive by escaping the city but half the city will move to the woods.

link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by tovenar

well bugging out is only for the smart and prepared.. and besides why stay put if SHTF?

The smart and prepared are already, smart and prepared. Staying put is a viable option, depending on the SHTF scenario. Obviously if a gigantic ELE asteroid or comet were to hit the Earth, well, bug out all you want, I am prepared for many other more likely scenarios though.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

You would just alert every person in the area that has a high powered rifle that may need want your motorized vehical to your area. After all you will need to stop and rest/sleep at some point. Also you can only carry so much fuel, make sure you have a plan for that.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Welcome to Saskatchewan!! haha Anyways, we are safe from any sort of flooding, the Rockies on one side and the Red River valley in Manitoba will drain away to the US.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by facewhatly
i aint goin anywhere. i pray that squirrel meat will be enough

I have a cookbook from 1947 that has recipes for Squirrel Fricasee and Squirrel Pot Pie

Among other small things like woodchuck, possum, muskrat

Basically prepare squirrel and simmer in broth or seasoned water till very tender. Slow cook.
It also tells to make sure to remove the scent glands in the small of the back, and under the forelegs and thighs. Don't cut into the glands

Only roast or fry the young ones, the older ones need slower cooking.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
My plan includes being very resourceful.......I am capable of jerry rigging anything, I can weld just about anything, and I have a few small solar panels..........We have enough food in the cabinets to last a bit if we are stingy............

Be resourceful, not ignorant.......

Next spring and summer I am going to start preparing for me and my son to do some bow hunting........Now theres something that would come in handy a bow or two, or ten

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I love our furry friends, so im not quite sure why thinking about cooking squirrels in defferent ways is so funny to me, but it just is for some reason, literally laughing outloud here. Thanks for the info though, that ones goin in my head now.(save that bad boy for later)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Welcome to Saskatchewan!! haha Anyways, we are safe from any sort of flooding, the Rockies on one side and the Red River valley in Manitoba will drain away to the US.

I like the sound of that, I'm halfway up the east side, so I wasn't sure what would come from the north or north east, but global water rising raises higher around the equator, I think.

Inland enough to be safe from tsunamis, and and earthquakes here would really be rare.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by facewhatly

We have some walnut trees in the yard. We have massive little critters here.

My son wants to shoot one with his little daisy bb gun....lol..........he wants to go hunting really bad.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by facewhatly

I love our furry friends, so im not quite sure why thinking about cooking squirrels in defferent ways is so funny to me, but it just is for some reason, literally laughing outloud here. Thanks for the info though, that ones goin in my head now.(save that bad boy for later)

I'd have a hard time too, I'd be trying for the larger birds before furry creatures. There are lots of ravens and guinea hens around. The ravens look like they weigh about 10 lbs. They're huge!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

10 lb's of bird meat would be worth about 600,000 usd at that point

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
why I would if I had to.

i'm in metro vancouver, my house is on top of a ridge overlooking a bay. the biggest risk here is the earthquake zone.
no risk of tsunami thanks to the gulf islands which shield the bay. my house could withstand the quake but i'm not sure about utilities like power and water which go out at least 3 times a year with a simple windstorm.

other biggest risk is people. the riots were proof people here are insane and will riot over anything. most of the rioters were from my city and travelled downtown to go burn it down. who is to say they wouldnt do the same here if the situation deteriorated.

depending on how quick I need to leave determines what I use to leave, I have a car option, bike option, foot option.
but all escape routes lead east here for me because the coastline is only down the street, west.

So i'm forced to go either east or south into the US. there is no west and north option until summer when you can safely go north.

and this is all just precautionary, not like i'm just going to up and go one day for no reason. it would take much to get me to leave my home.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join