It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have doomed ourselves!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have often wondered why, in this day and age , our space program doesn`t try to go further into space. I think I have a fix...

Get rid of this en.wikipedia.org...
This says that no state can claim ownership of anything in outerspace.
If countries were racing to claim planets and stars for future resources we would have been miles ahead in space developments.

Now hear me out. At first glance it would seem like a good idea not to take ownership of space. Now just imagine if Columbus was trying to get funding for his trip but anything he found in the new world would be off limits. I don`t think he would have been able to land a ship.

Humans are all about greed, it`s a horrible but true fact. I say open up space. Tare up that stupid treaty and finders keepers. Give the moon to the States and let the space race BEGIN!|!!!!
edit on 11-11-2011 by Kargun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
To add to that, I think that we should not weaponize space.

Just our spaceships.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
I have often wondered why, in this day and age , our space program doesn`t try to go further into space. I think I have a fix...

Now hear me out. At first glance it would seem like a good idea but just imagine if Columbus was trying to get funding but anything he found in the new world would be off limits. I don`t think he would have been able to land a ship.

Humans are all about greed, it`s a horrible but true fact. I say open up space. Tare up that stupid treaty and finders keepers. Give the moon to the States and let the space race BEGIN!|!!!!

Hear me out, what Space Program? Obama and Congress killed the Space program and we don't have a vehicle for going to space anymore. How are we supposed to go further into space if we can't even leave Earth's ground now?

They are talking about private companies picking up, but that won't happen. Better luck with the big three making an SUV that has good gas mileage, than a private company building a competent space vehicle. Ironic that both similiar concepts.

I have had dreams of Mag-lev trains in this country, but the green earth movement (fascists) would kill that. Like the have killed nuclear power and the space program (of course going further into space). The next logical move to space vehicles would be nuclear powered missions to mars, but the Green environmentalists would destroy that before it got off the ground. Talk about a humans that are about Greed, the Green environmentalists and the London-Wallstreet crowd have doomed us.
edit on 11-11-2011 by MarkScheppy because: add on

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkScheppy

Now hear me out. At first glance it would seem like a good idea but just imagine if Columbus was trying to get funding but anything he found in the new world would be off limits. I don`t think he would have been able to land a ship.

Hear me out, what Space Program? Obama and Congress killed the Space program and we don't have a vehicle for going to space anymore. How are we supposed to go further into space if we can't even leave Earth's ground now?

They are talking about private companies picking up, but that won't happen. Better luck with the big three making an SUV that has good gas mileage, than a private company building a competent space vehicle. Ironic that both similiar concepts.

I have had dreams of Mag-lev trains in this country, but the green earth movement (fascists) would kill that. Like the have killed nuclear power and the space program (of course going further into space). The next logical move to space vehicles would be nuclear powered missions to mars, but the Green environmentalists would destroy that before it got off the ground. Talk about a humans that are about Greed, the Green environmentalists and the London-Wallstreet crowd have doomed us.
edit on 11-11-2011 by MarkScheppy because: add on

Two things are wrong with that statement....

America has infact got space craft.. new spacecraft which where essentially shrink wrapped n put into storage so the carfts that are brand new and have never seen space are available, ther eis a thread on here somewhere about it.

private companies have already looked into it, Virgin (universe) or whatever the hell they are calling themselves owned by richard branson has infact already built space ports and ships to start flights into space.. if he is remotley successful they have the money and the contacts to get enough funding to continue into space so i doubt it will be long before the UK and the US are both going to space through private companies (if you can afford the ticket)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I am not really understanding what you are saying. For instance, you mentioned you do not support the treaty, but do support not placing nukes in outer space. Isn't that what the treaty dictated? Or is there more in the document that I have not read?

Basically what I am trying to convey is that I do not see any hinderence put on space travel by this treaty, unless as I said, there is more to it than the placing of nukes in space or on the moon. I have a feeling I am missing something here...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The part of the treaty that I dont support is the one saying nobody can own space. I DO support the part that stipulates not to arm up space.

Countries donèt go to space because the treaty I linked says you canèt own the moon. I say finders keepers. If you could claim the moon or say mars for your country the space race would be on like donley kong. Hell I would try to build a craft so I could own Jupitor

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Maybe the nations should combine resources to create a planetary meteor defense system before another space race.I mean the last one could'nt have come much closer.Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister

private companies have already looked into it, Virgin (universe) or whatever the @#!*% they are calling themselves owned by richard branson has infact already built space ports and ships to start flights into space.. if he is remotley successful they have the money and the contacts to get enough funding to continue into space so i doubt it will be long before the UK and the US are both going to space through private companies (if you can afford the ticket)

Makes sense. The British have destroyed all holy ideas of mankind breaking the bonds of zeus, now they want to "privatize" space and sell Peter Pan tickets for us earthlings.

Richard Branson is not Christopher Columbus he is more like a privateer of industry. I applaud his efforts and commitment I hope he is successful. I saw his space capsule, and I would not trust my pet turtle going up in that.

How about the Mars rovers that are still functional on the red planet after how many years past their life span? People like Branson and that SpaceX guy could care less about space science. We are told lies by knuckleheads who are all about greed and private interest. I know from my history that Columbus was basically like a one man show, he had a heck of a time getting interest and funding to go to America. I know that he had to pay for one of his ships with his own money. He had to amass a lot of money and bribe the king and queen of spain, with help from a Lawyer to get their approval for ships to go to the New World. If this same thing of history repeated happens with going to Space, don't count on us going or staying there for any length of time.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I have often wondered why, in this day and age , our space program doesn`t try to go further into space...

Has the thought not crossed your mind that maybe we aren't being told everything?

I know nothing about that treaty, or its stipulations, but I do know that if you are doing something that others may not be pleased with, then don't tell them what you're doing.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkScheppy

Originally posted by GonzoSinister

private companies have already looked into it, Virgin (universe) or whatever the @#!*% they are calling themselves owned by richard branson has infact already built space ports and ships to start flights into space.. if he is remotley successful they have the money and the contacts to get enough funding to continue into space so i doubt it will be long before the UK and the US are both going to space through private companies (if you can afford the ticket)

Makes sense. The British have destroyed all holy ideas of mankind breaking the bonds of zeus, now they want to "privatize" space and sell Peter Pan tickets for us earthlings.

Richard Branson is not Christopher Columbus he is more like a privateer of industry. I applaud his efforts and commitment I hope he is successful. I saw his space capsule, and I would not trust my pet turtle going up in that.

How about the Mars rovers that are still functional on the red planet after how many years past their life span? People like Branson and that SpaceX guy could care less about space science. We are told lies by knuckleheads who are all about greed and private interest. I know from my history that Columbus was basically like a one man show, he had a heck of a time getting interest and funding to go to America. I know that he had to pay for one of his ships with his own money. He had to amass a lot of money and bribe the king and queen of spain, with help from a Lawyer to get their approval for ships to go to the New World. If this same thing of history repeated happens with going to Space, don't count on us going or staying there for any length of time.

Oh i dotn see him as some scientific saviour... i know it is entirley for the money,

if private science institues pay him enough though, he'll get them in space.. so my reasoning is if the money is there the science and exploration still will be!

Dont think of him as columbus.. think of him as the guy who sold columbus his ship

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My basic problem is I think countries should be able to claim a planet as thier own and all the goods that go along with it. Thats what would drive us deeper into space. Imagine if the chinese were about to land a person on mars and claim it! The race would be on

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

First a 'government/country' would have to get to a planet, asteroid, or moon to claim it, for whatever that's worth, a money hole. So they have a claim, come home and another country/government goes and knocks their flag over, so what, what's to stop them? It's kind of a silly notion a treaty is halting space exploration, which I assume manned space exploration is what is meant here.

Afraid to say its simple economics, and zero return of investment that there is no 'space race boom', what is a planet or moon claim worth? Try to put some kind of monetary figure to that.
edit on 11-11-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

If people can claim areas in space ten this will lead to conflict, hense weaponisation.
edit on 11-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: Typo

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

Countries donèt go to space because the treaty I linked says you canèt own the moon.

You don't actually have to own it, in order to sell it though.
To sell something, all that is really needed is gullible suckers who are willing to pay for it.

With a population near 7 Billion, there are plenty of gullible suckers out there.
I just wish I would have thought of it first.

Buy Land on the Moon Here!
The Lowest Priced Moon Real Estate on the Web!

Your Registration Package will include:
A personalized 8 ½” by 11” Moon Real Estate parchment Deed of Claim.
A personalized Photo Information Sheet for your Moon Property Claim, printed on 8 ½” by 11” HP photo paper.
A Moon Property Location Information Sheet printed on 8 ½” by 11” paper.

These Official Moon Propety documents are suitable for framing and will look great on any wall!

Moon Estates

Lunar Landowner

People actually do pay for it. I first heard about this a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it was a show on The History Channel. They named off quite a few 'celebrities' who had bought some. The only name I can remember, was Tom Cruise, and that's not surprising lol. There were other famous celebrities too though.

edit on 11/11/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Um the economic of owning per se the moon would be vast imo. Not today perhaps but in 100 years, it would be woth a fortune. People and countries would imagine chargeing ships for docking refueling ect. Great mind think to the future and that future is in outer space.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Um the economic of owning per se the moon would be vast imo. Not today perhaps but in 100 years, it would be woth a fortune. People and countries would imagine chargeing ships for docking refueling ect. Great mind think to the future and that future is in outer space.

You think. Everything is based on money in our world. But people could care a donkey's hind end less about doing the proper things to start making money. Because unfortunately for greedy people, that means everyone once and a blue moon (pun intended) you have to do the right things in order to plant a seed for money and profit to begin to happen. Stop raping people and do the right thing. This involves science and thinking and careful planning and putting faith in good people.

Such as mining the moon, the economic potential of the Solar System is enormous. Look at Saturn's moon titan, the lakes and oceans of Methane. Great minds always have to save us and the greedy people sit back and watch the Teslas and then once they have accomplished something, they swoop in to take it over.

It will take a special kind of united and combined greatness for humanity to go out deep and colonize space. Revolution on earth is needed first because we have the potential and the great ability, great thinkers we can do it. But a revolution has to happen, because the evil cabal would rather everyone on this planet die, than do the right things to allow great people to evolve and surmount obstacles of technical engineering. Everytime you drive down the road and see a big wind tower, think of that has a missile against the technical hopes of going to outer space.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
How many countries drill for oil in the North Sea, see, that's the point of ownership. It's yours if you can get it. It will never be economically advantageous to mine anything from any moon for use back on earth, and about the methane, we don't even make use of half of that on oil wells on earth, so how would going to Saturn's moon Titan ever make money?

Space agencies make a profit for launching communications satellites, lose 100% of investment lunching space probes, and after that, spend more money in mission support.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

very interesting thread... and great replies as well...

well, i just put in a bid for the sun... now talk about being in control of the most popular stellar body in our system! reminds me of the gulls on finding nemo... mine mine mine
yes, i would own the sun, then i'd charge everyone for light and heat, talk about a gold mine... except ATS'ers, your sun light is free from me!

edit on 11-11-2011 by schitzoandro because: add

also, your title reminds me of my avatar... doom doom doom
edit on 11-11-2011 by schitzoandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

In order to charge for sunlight you'd have to be able to shut it off, which is the central theme of the concept of owning space bodies, what you own would have to be policed or its just meaningless. If a flag and Apollo discharge is keeping others from the moon, then I'm sure the military would be all ears on this powerful weapon.

If or when it becomes economically thrifty to transport massive, well, mass, millions of miles through space I don't think that treaty would mean anything, just like China drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico, they drill it they can sell it or use it themselves.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

i didn't even think about having to turn it off... thanks for bringing that to my attention... or i could just do like the mafia, and hire some guys to come by everyone's house on earth and let them know i can continue to provide this service if they pay me, and if not, i will have little tony and lefty come by after dark...

yeah, i would have to spend a fortune on a Venetian blind large enough to block the sun if you earthlings don't pay... still, it's a fun idea... or maybe i'd just buy the moon too, and then i could eclipse the sun when people don't pay... all said in good fun, being silly today, it's been a rough week... and talking like i am, just made me think of the movie sunshine www.imdb.com... ... it would be a sad day on earth if the sun started dying... well, i mean i know it already is dying, but at a rate faster than the speed of light, so as to make our planet too chilly to survive...
edit on 11-11-2011 by schitzoandro because: sp

edit on 11-11-2011 by schitzoandro because: sp...again!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join