It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You think the last asteroid was close: Wait until the NEXT one: 2001 WNS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
meh i will be like 40 on 2029 that's ok by me, i dont wanna be really old when the world ends

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I must admit this just seems to be getting ri G=D diculous. Werner Von Braun seems to be the best answer I can find. But then you have to go thru Dr. Carol Rosin for that. Kind of like trading one wooden nickle for two ?
As Regis Philbin would say, " This is out of control ".

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoungBloodNews

So Im starting an Apophis death cult, get in now at the ground level! Plenty of time to grow till 2029!

Are you related to Marshall Applewhite of Heaven's Gate by any chance?

Applewhite committed suicide with 39 other members in Rancho Santa Fe, California by mixing phenobarbitol with applesauce or pudding, then washing it down with vodka. They also placed plastic bags over their heads after ingesting the mix to ensure asphyxiation in case the drugs did not kill them. The cult members, aged between 26 and 72, are believed to have died in three groups, 15 the first day on March 24, 15 the next and nine on the third.

en.wikipedia.org...

Say it ain't so Joe.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
the danger isn't from one of these named asteroids but a rogue one coming in from an unseen trajectory.

we cant fully discount the possibility of an asteroid strike, we can't see them all.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Oh good grief. Are you disappointed or upset
that the world didn't end today?

World ends for people all the time, all day long. Sorry to disappoint You...
Try not to grieve too much...K?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
the danger isn't from one of these named asteroids but a rogue one coming in from an unseen trajectory.

we cant fully discount the possibility of an asteroid strike, we can't see them all.

We can't fully discount a sea serpent, coming out of the toilet I'm mounted on, going up my colon and eating my
brain either.

But I'm not going to be afraid of going poop.

edit on 8-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'll only be 34 when this occurs.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
We will never know the name of the asteroid that comes to strike the Earth. There will be a flash in the sky an instant before millions are killed in the blink of an eye. Those who do know of it's approach will be safe in their bunkers days in advance, and the rest will be left to suffer the aftermath. No official story, no help from FEMA, nothing. The world will be "normal" one day, and within weeks will resemble something out of a 'the Road' as ash rains from the sky, blotting out the sun. Only those beyond the blast radius will ever know it was meteor, the rest will learn through point of view exaggerations of the accounts of others.
The government will only report the ones we wish to study. We will never know the name of our doom.

However, do not fear the unknown. Our greatest threat is ourselves, not the random acts of tumbling rocks in space.

~FugitiveSoul

edit on 9-11-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The next near miss of Earth by an asteroid takes place in 2028 when asteroid (153814) 2001 WNS passes within 0.6 lunar distances

Disappointing, I thought it was the next disaster, it's just the appetizer for Apophis though.

Does anyone know the diameter of this Apophis?

ts diameter is approximately 270 meters (885 ft).[2] As of October 7, 2009, the probability of an April 13, 2036 impact is considered to be 1 in 250,000.

Here's YU55's diameter...

approximately 400 meters (1,300 feet) in diameter.

This latest asteroid was much larger than Apophis, and YU55 posed no "Extinction Level Event" to us, nor does Apophis. I think the demoralization of society is far more of a threat to us than these asteroids.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I read somewhere that Apophis goes through "the keyhole" on 2029, and then when it comes around again in 2036 is when it most likely would hit. If I remember, it was around 180m?
I'll have to look that up again, but I do remember that it was not all that big. It is something that would leave a crator maybe the size of the one in Arizona, not anything world ending.

I'm just going off of memory.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

270m

Thats big enough to make a good sized impact.
Still not the end of the world though.

Big boom no doubt.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I knew the Apophis threads were gonna get an early start !
But like the above poster said something will probably hit us out of the blue. No warning.

Darkblade, What do you mean pass through a "keyhole". What is that ?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Oh good grief. Are you disappointed or upset
that the world didn't end today?

World ends for people all the time, all day long. Sorry to disappoint You...
Try not to grieve too much...K?

Maybe you mean their individual lives end.

Unless you really literally believe what you said....:shk:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Maybe you mean their individual lives end.
Unless you really literally believe what you said....

I guess we have different perspectives... Thas ok?
When we pass, "the world" goes on.
When we pass, "our world" ends.

See you then and we can discuss it some more if you like.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
2029? 2036? This could be ONE VERY LONG THREAD!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

There will be a flash in the sky an instant before millions are killed in the blink of an eye.

Actually if it is moving at say 40 miles per second (rather fast for an asteroid or comet) and it comes "straight in", then there will be about 5 seconds of time elapsed between when it lights up the sky and actually hits. If it comes in at an angle (which is likely) then it will be longer. You will know it's coming initially if you are outside and you look down and see you have two shadows
and one of them is moving!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

What do you mean pass through a "keyhole". What is that ?

If I may, any object that passes near earth is pulled by earths gravity into a new orbit around the solar system and may return to pass by earth again and again in the future. A "keyhole" is that "little spot" near earth that the object passes thru, that almost guarantees that it will hit earth the next time it comes around. That little spot is very small, thats why the term keyhole.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join