It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Cancels Operation Cartel as Los Zetas Track Hacktivists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
How do you say chutzpah in Spanish?

Members of the hacktivist collective Anonymous who threatened to post identifying information online about the civilian associates of Los Zetas, one of Mexico’s most powerful and violent drug cartels, have backed down just days before the November 5 target date for their operation.

The sudden withdrawal comes by way of a report in Mexican newspaper Milenio, published online Sunday night, which features comments from two self-identified Anonymous Operation Cartel participants, Skill3r and Glyniss Paroubek.

“We didn’t want irresponsible administrators to condemn participants [in the Operation] to death,” the two Anonymous spokespeople are quoted as saying (translated). “We’ve discussed it extensively and and we all decided to remove it.”

Its easy to go after Western governments and corporations because the worst that will happen to you is a cease and desist letter being sent to your ISP or a class D felony plead down to a misdemeanor. But when you play with real psychopaths it instills a greater respect of the consequences of your actions.

Does this mean that Anonymous are cowards or just aren’t as brave and willing to take on TPTB as they claim?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I would hope Anon can turn this around on the Zetas somehow.

Mexico and Southern USA is out of control because of those dirt bags.

Here is Anon's chance to prove they're not just a bunch of little runts.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Perhaps the element of Anon that was pursuing this realized the futility of it. Los Zetas owns their little corner of the world in Mexico and with everything else going on in the world, nothing in the emails Anon got will change that basic fact. It would, however, get members of Anon in what amounts to a shoot-on-sight list where ever Los Zetas had control...for what?

Go hack the Government side and tell the world what the Mexican, American and various South American governments are doing from the official levels in the drug trade... That might make a real difference in adding to the public feelings needed for change. Just a thought....

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I read that they realised the kidnapped anonymous member which is why they canceled the operation.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostangel818
I read that they realised the kidnapped anonymous member which is why they canceled the operation.

Try PROOFREADING. Your sentence makes no sense.

2nd

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Kidnapping is for the super cowardly.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Go hack the Government side and tell the world what the Mexican, American and various South American governments are doing from the official levels in the drug trade... That might make a real difference in adding to the public feelings needed for change. Just a thought....

That's what they're starting to do, here they are calling out a DA in North Carolina, this is from Forbes dated 11/5:

A number of news sources, including the New York Times, have reported that the “online feud” between Anonymous and Los Zetas has ended. But as of the writing of this post, in a public chat hosted at Tinychat.com, Barrett Brown has said that while “ the Zeta names were called off,” he is “still going forward against targets of opportunity elsewhere.” One of those targets appears to be Ashville, North Carolina District Attorney, Ron Moore. In a tweet posted this morning, Brown wrote, “Those in Asheville, NC should watch movements of District Attorney Ron Moore at this time.” For the last two days, Brown, who has taken the lead on what has been called OpCartel, has been claiming that a trove of emails obtained by Anonymous shows that a district attorney in the United States has been cooperating with Mexican drug cartels. Asked today by a questioner on Tinychat if Ron Moore is the district attorney to whom he has been alluding, Brown said, “Yes.”

Source:www.forbes.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I was pondering the whole anonymous thing the other day.
Most of what they are doing is noble.
However they need to take that next step.

They should totally go silent running. And start doing their #Ops with no forewarning.
And release info after the fact.
I would target criminals in office and expose them as the lying thieves they are.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

wtf are you trying to say? this makes no sense

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It looks to me like Anon was "PWN3D". Maybe they should stick to taking down the front page of a small business website.

"Lulz"

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lostangel818

Myself and others understood your post, and I agree that it is probably because of the kidnapped anon member that they cancelled the exercise against the cartel. God only knows what kind of backflash Anon has received and what the cartel has said that scared them into giving up their plans to expose them? It is some very wicked scary stuff you can imagine.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
They are legion. They NEVER forget. Well, okay, maybe they can forget just this once.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Saying you'll do something is the easy part. When you realize your head could end up on the end of a stick, well ... guess it takes a lot bigger stones to follow through with it. Probably should stick with "exposing" U.S. folks or DDOS'ing something.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Anon isn't going to expose themselves is my guess, the information is kept and released at a later time through is another...

One difference between anon and zetas is that the Zetas main goal is money, and Anon is being a nuisance and a business risk.
That will blow over, but anon will remember is my last guess.

O yeah...

Originally posted by Gwampo

wtf are you trying to say? this makes no sense

and DragonTattooz made a similar remark...

Change realised into released .....

(Probably you understand wtf, omfg, gtfo etc but can't read past a spelling mistake.... typical)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think this whole episode shows how easy it is to be “courageous” when you are going after soft targets. Its easy to “speak truth to power” when the consequences are light but real courage is shown by those who won’t stop when the stakes are much higher.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

The Zetas are not just psychopaths... The Zeta drug cartel was formed when specialized members of the Mexican Special Forces opted to go into business for themselves. People really need to understand the back story and do some research before going public and chellenging a drug cartel. In this case they picked one of the few cartels that has access to the expertise to find out who and where the anonymous people are for retribution.

Since the cartel has access tro oodles of cash it would be pretty easy for them to just hire for murder in other countries.

Anonymous seems to be confusing right and wrong with their own personal morals they are now placing on groups they doint like or care for.

Ironic..

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

edit on 7-11-2011 by Ashertron because: Misread original post

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
They are legion. They NEVER forget. Well, okay, maybe they can forget just this once.

ATS - 1

Anon - 0

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

Stfu you understand . 1st

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

maybe it doesn't make sense but it gets the point across. If you cant see that they you are a dumb # .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join