It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread Titles and How They Quietly Attempt To Throw Doubt On Topics.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
people do this with ron paul all the time.. makes me sick

If you don't mind. People don't do this with Ron Paul all the time....

People do this all the time PERIOD.

This very thread for example: Thread Titles and How They Quietly Attempt To Throw Doubt On Topics

The subjects of the title are intermingled....

----

Thread titles

They

Quietly Attempt

Throw Doubt

Topics

-----

This title makes multiple statements.

This is not necessarily an evil thing, or a disingenuous one.

Thread creators (aside from the Breaking news types victimized by the MSM's poor habits) are often faced with the challenge of overcoming the brevity required in their headline, without detracting from the subject matter.

Some resort to emotionalism, hyperbole, sensationalism, sophistry, among other more subtle styles.

Personally, I find this among the more amusing things to ponder as I decide which thread I may read first.

I have my own set of standards for title creation. Others have their own. Taking adherence to the T&C for granted, much of what we see, while, as the OP points out, carries bias, or double entendre, I suspect it is not as intentional as one might think. I think more often, it is an accidental revelation of the bias, or position of the member bringing the OP.

Excellent subject for discussion by the way!

edit on 8-11-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Tis a well known tactic of influence, called "framing"

for example, I can write a newspaper headline like this:

"questions raised over whether Obama is a gay child molester"

then write an article that says nothing, has no evidence, just asks a question

however, in the reaader's mind, the seed has been planted that "maybe Obama IS a gay child molester"
- and the damage is done

old tricks are the best tricks eh?

or take another example
- you and I are sitting at a restaurant waiting for a third person who I know and you dont

- before the 3rd person arrives I tell you they just got out of prison on parole after serving 10 years of a 30 year sentence for murdering 3 people with an axe and eating their kidneys

- supposing this is not true, it doesnt matter - you will behave toward the 3rd person based on the assumption that this is who they are, and will likely want to run from the room

beware the dark side

new topics

<< 1   >>

join