It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's find some common ground between Christians and Athiests.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I, too, am a former atheist.
Part of the common ground, in my own experience, is that neither party is much respected by agnostics.
Similarly at neither stage of my life did I think much of people who went half-way in giving up belief in God.
In my mind, a big part of both decisions (to become an atheist, and to become a Christian) was the need for honesty. The first time round, I had to recognise that I wasn't convinced by the religion I had been taught.
On the second occasion, it was partly about recognising that I had chosen against God because that was the option I preferred, rather than any logical necessity.

edit on 6-11-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The only common ground I see is it takes a dark night and a light daytime to make up a full day. If night is the same as the daytime then there is common ground. One has a way out of this dark old world the other is still in the dard to see there is a way out. Sibbs.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

My job is to provide the message of love, give you my testimony and explain the scriptures you are confused about to the best of my ability. I can't make you understand them.

Originally posted by DISRAELI
In my mind, a big part of both decisions (to become an atheist, and to become a Christian) was the need for honesty. The first time round, I had to recognise that I wasn't convinced by the religion I had been taught.
On the second occasion, it was partly about recognising that I had chosen against God because that was the option I preferred, rather than any logical necessity.

Oh, definitely. That scenario sounds all too familiar to me.
edit on 6-11-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
No one is born an atheist in fact God doesn't believe in atheists. People choose to be Atheist when they become stubborn and rebellious at a certain point in their lives, when they feel they need to disobey all authority, not just in society but God's authority too. Its not that they genuinely have a non-belief in Christ, but rather they choose to reject his offer of salvation because they are simply to pridefull to ever let anyone guide them in they're life. These are the type of people that distrust others and are usually not trust-worthy themselves, not to be stereotypical but this is usually the case.

I personally don't have a problem with any atheist, it's not my job to try and convert them. And as long as they don't start spreading pagan lies about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I'm fine to let them carry on living their short and meaningless lives.

Atheists are cowards when they insult Christ whilst they are alive but once they die and meet they're maker they'll be regretting all the cheap talk and crap they once said about him. So I guess that's something about them that annoy's me the most.

Atheists are unreasonable people that reject all forms of the gospel so as a Christian if someone claims they are an "Atheist" I do not even attempt to share knowledge with them anymore. Agnostics on the other hand are really just people who are still establishing their world view, so they still have a chance for eternal life and for that reason I will attempt to share the good news with them.
edit on 6-11-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
For myself, I've been trying to find common ground, because I realize that I'm always going to be partly Christian and partly atheist and partly unsure if either is right.

edit on 7-11-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I welcome any attempts to find common ground with any human, while reiterating my complete and total faith in Jesus Christ.

This is a beautiful quote. I hope my Christian and non-Christian brothers and sisters alike will appreciate it:

"If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal."
-John F. Kennedy.

May God bless you all...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
O.k. here is a possible shred of common ground. Neither Christianity nor atheism expects belief without evidence. I assume that Christians have some evidence for their beliefs even if it can't be measured in a laboratory. It's that "personal relationship with God" right?

I bring this up, because Christians sometimes act like unbelievers are merely being stubborn for not accepting what seems obvious to them.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wow, I am not really sure where to begin...but let me try to be as civil as possible....

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
No one is born an atheist

How do you figure? Is baby's first words praise jesus? No, it's da-da or ma-ma. You have to be taught religion, it isn't just part of your personality. Just like you have to be taught to read, you aren't just born knowing how to connect letters with sound.

God doesn't believe in atheists.

Perhaps you should review your scripture a little closer. The last time I checked, there are a number of passages addressing the non-believer and how your loving god wishes to banish them to eternal torment.

People choose to be Atheist when they become stubborn and rebellious at a certain point in their lives, when they feel they need to disobey all authority, not just in society but God's authority too.

What does being rebellious have to do with religion? You could just as easily say that you chose to be christian beause you were rebelling against the church of Islam. Same unjustified claim, same silly premise. Everyone goes through a point of rebellion and individuality, it's called being a teenager. You defy your parents and try to develop your own sense of self apart from the mold that your theistic brothers and sisters eloquently force upon children from oh such a young age. But this does not mean that they become atheist as a result.

If someone decides to become an atheist it is because they have questions that have no answers, they are ridiculed for questioning the church or the believer, and most of all they are shunned if they dare defy the system. It is more rebellious to join the church due to peer pressure than to stick to your own beliefs or lack there-of.

Its not that they genuinely have a non-belief in Christ, but rather they choose to reject his offer of salvation because they are simply to pridefull to ever let anyone guide them in they're life.

Really? So you are saying pretty much that the reason I am atheist is because I refuse to accept a mystical jewish zombie as my master? Why can't I live my own life? Why do I have to use a book of fairy tales and an invisible man/woman to guide my every decision, thought or waking moment? Seems like that kinda takes the free away from free will hmm?

Pride has nothing to do with accepting or rejecting any god. What a ridiculous concept.......

These are the type of people that distrust others and are usually not trust-worthy themselves, not to be stereotypical but this is usually the case.

So you follow the biblical belief that all atheists are immoral and untrustworthy sinners yes? I am such a bad person with no direction in my life and with no moral compass because I don't accept your invisible man as my leader? I actually take offense to that. It's not very often that I get offended, but that is such a blanket statment made out of ignorance. I am completely trustworthy. I have no criminal record, a fantastic work ethic and a very kind and generous personality. I am Atheist, I am human, I am moral, I am a good person, regardless of what you think or your passages that say otherwise. That statement is completely stereotypical of the biblical atheist dogma.

I personally don't have a problem with any atheist, it's not my job to try and convert them. And as long as they don't start spreading pagan lies about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I'm fine to let them carry on living their short and meaningless lives.

This is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it?

You don't have a problem with me, but yet you label me, accuse me, oppress me, judge me and then try to say that everything is fine until I question your story? It's my job as a thinking human being to question things, especially things that I find unbelievable or without merit. If you get upset at this and think I'm spreading lies, then please enlighten me so that I may understand the proof that you so obviously have. Thanks.

Atheists are cowards when they insult Christ whilst they are alive but once they die and meet they're maker they'll be regretting all the cheap talk and crap they once said about him. So I guess that's something about them that annoy's me the most.

Back to the labels and name calling, right after you just said you don't have a problem with them. Hmm.

How do you know what happens when we die? I don't.

Atheists are unreasonable people that reject all forms of the gospel so as a Christian if someone claims they are an "Atheist" I do not even attempt to share knowledge with them anymore.

Then what is the point of name calling and bashing us if you refuse to discuss the matter at hand? This is why the middle ground is so hard to find within a theistic discussion.

I don't hate you, you can believe whatever you want to believe, but I don't bash you, and you shouldn't bash me.

King
edit on 7-11-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

That JFK quote is one I have never heard before, and quite profound, thank you for sharing. It puts the sharp end on the point of this thread.

King

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

Would you turn away athiests who visited your church?

I think anyone who knows that Yeshua is light should be happy to share the good news. We are God's ambassadors, so it's our job - and eventually our conviction - to point people towards Christ. Even if it doesn't mean converting someone, if you can improve someone's perception of God from a -7 to a -6, then you've done your duty and He works other people into that person's life to represent Him. At least, I think that's a small part of the bigger picture that I've come to understand. Sort of like handing off a torch.

The atheists view this attitude as elitism. Christians view it as glorifying God.
edit on 8-11-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

I understand your position, and I can respect your "need" to preach your word as long as you understand the boundaries, which I'm sure you do. I have no problem with that, as an atheist it is pretty much accepted and expected that I will be preached to and try to be "saved" from myself, so I don't take that personally.

However, the hypocricy in the quote you posted is evident that fundamentalism comes in all shapes and sizes. It is one thing to preach, and another to be "ok with atheists" and then in the next sentence bash them and call them all sorts of names; all under the guise of being a true christian.

I can respect you for your attitude as I believe your heart is in the right place, even though I question it's basis. I do however take issue when this same attitude in the hands of the fundamentalist is forced upon me with a label like above, then it is offensive.

Debate is one thing, arrogance is another.

Your post shows that while atheists and theists do not agree, you are one of the "true" christians that at least has enough respect to understand where the line is, and when not to cross it.

Thank you.

King

top topics

<< 1   >>

join