It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter prediction thread. Snow amounts and Lowest temp.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I live in the northern Red River Valley in MN. It is the begining of November and that means that any day now snow can start falling up here and when it does it will be here until late April. I thought it would be kind of fun to list where you live, how much snow you think you will end up with and what the lowest temp will be. I will give a star to everyone who plays along

As I said I live in the Northern Red River Valley and I am going to guess:

Snowfall: 60-70 inches
Lowest temp: -25
Lowest windchill: -40
First measurable snowfall: Week of Thanksgiving.

At the end of the winter each person who has guessed should post some data from local newspapers saying the totals and temp, and post an article from the first storm and we can declare a winner.
edit on 5-11-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
England
Snowfall - 6inc
Temp low - -18C
Result;
BBC News goes mad because of a wee bit of snow, everything halts, and any other news story will get pushed back so that we can see the snow on the TV as well as outside.
Then spring will come, and we will be having warnings of a "heat wave" coming after spring.....

Would of thought by now that we would grasp the concept of seasons.....

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I live in Colorado and we have already had 12" or more! and that's not even in the mountains!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm in east central Saskatchewan, and we have no snow yet

Last year, I think it was here at the end of September.

Snowfall: 3 to 6 feet. The least I've seen was 3 feet, about 5 years ago, it was up to the garage roof - 7 feet.
Lowest temp: -40 C
Lowest windchill: -55C
First measurable snowfall: Soon, it's cold enough, it's -5 to -10 at night already, but we're in the sunniest province.

Last year it snowed over a foot before the ground really froze, so it was hard for the tractor at first. The guy had to clear the snow, while almost sinking in the soft ground. Once it was cleared, then the ground properly froze.
This year, we're frozen before snow

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
on the note of snow, who here camps in the snow? I personally love it. It brings a whole new element to the table. coldest Ive ever camped in was prob around 0

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

I have to say that I never considered camping in the snow. I am guessing you use a portable heater in your tent. When you buy stuff for winter camping, what kind of rating does the stuff have. For instance temperature and wind, or is that not really a thing.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity
on the note of snow, who here camps in the snow? I personally love it. It brings a whole new element to the table. coldest Ive ever camped in was prob around 0

Accidently. We were camping Easter weekend and woke up covered in snow. Good thing it was the last day, we weren't prepared.

If it's winter and way lower than zero, then you can make a snow cave to stay warm in. The doorway has to be maze like to keep the wind out.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

I actually sleep in a jungle hammock that is off the ground, I place tree shoots around that to block wind and leave a small entry hole on the side facing opposite of the wind, in the hammock I place a -15 rated mummy bag inside of a 32 degree rated down bag. I carry all of my gear on a frame pack with ease. =) I'm thinking about going up sometime and recording what I do. lots of people are interested in cold weather camping/ survival.
edit on 5-11-2011 by ConspiraCity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

A video would be kind of cool to see i think.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Woke up to about 6 inches this morning. -2 Celius. It's supposed to stay snowing all day, so I guess winter just started for me.

Glad I have lots of food and all, I expect to see the neighbour coming around plowing with his tractor when it stops or slows down snowing.
That's one of the greatest things about living around farmland, when you have helpful neighbours with front end loaders and snow blades, you're never totally stuck for very long.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well I see that under your first snowfall you said soon, so I guess you win that one. Stay warm and stay safe. I know that once the winter starts it can be long and cold.

top topics

join