It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the time limit on "editing" a post account for time zone differences?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I just tried to edit my post here www.abovetopsecret.com... and it said the 4 hour time limit had passed. I don't even think it has been over 3 hours yet since i made the thread.

Not a big deal ...just curious. I am in MST.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

I suspect time zone has no effect. If you did a search there may be a dozen threads on this topic, they all say the same thing. It says you have 4 hours, but you only have 2 hours.

It would be nice if they would fix it to make it consistent at 4 hours as I think that would be a good time, but it must not be a priority for ATS as this discrepancy has existed a long time.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

In practice the time limit is two hours.
The message is just plain wrong.
If you edit a post immediately after posting, you will see an estimated "time remaining to edit" just above the edit box.
This appears to be counting down from 120 minutes, which is two hours.
My theory is that somebody was working on 30-minute hours.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Aww. I see.

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's 2 hours just a incorrect message.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Hmm. it might have to do with the fact that Europe has already changed back from Daylight Savings time... that would account for the 1 hour..., if that's the case, then it should fix itself on Sunday, when the US is changing back..

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Actually, you've observed a problem that's given me great difficulty. The whole thing is time zone sensitive. Because of the difference in time zones, I can't start a thread. It tells me I've used up all of my editing time before I start writing the post. Very annoying.

I've found the only way I can post is to send it around the world picking up twenty-four hours in its travels, but the real problem occurs when I want to respond to somebody's post. Because I have to send my response through that twenty-four hour cycle I was talking about, I have to send my response off before the first guy has made the post I'm responding to.

Very tricky business.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Same here. I am not sure it's even two hours.
And I am not sure it's not a "big deal". Some people write better in "bursts", but then require some time to fine-tune their thoughts or expression.

Most of all, I don't see why editing should be time-limited anyway.
And I think people should be given the chance to delete the body of their posts entirely.

If a post has been replied to, or even quoted, no problem.
If nobody has replied to it, even less of a problem.
What matters is that the time of the last editing is visible, even if the corrections themselves are not.

I used to be a member of a big forum, not of this kind but it contained "sensitive" information, yet there were no time limits to editing.

edit on 4-11-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

Same here. I am not sure it's even two hours.

The information above the edit box is counting down from 120 minutes, so it claims to be two hours.
However, I haven't tested to see if it counts down faster than it should.
edit on 4-11-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Time zone edit restrictions....its a cointel trick, flags and stars are the same trick, i tell you, its a trick...its all an alien trick..

top topics

join