It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Exclusive: CIA following Twitter, Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

AP Exclusive: CIA following Twitter, Facebook

news.yahoo.com

In an anonymous industrial park in Virginia, in an unassuming brick building, the CIA is following tweets — up to 5 million a day.

At the agency's Open Source Center, a team known affectionately as the "vengeful librarians" also pores over Facebook, newspapers, TV news channels, local radio stations, Internet chat rooms — anything overseas that anyone can access and contribute to openly.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
With all the corruption going on within the banking industry and in Govt., I find it terribly foolish for them to be putting all their efforts in gathering "intelligence" by spying on people.

The number of analysts is classified the article says.
In a crumbling economy do they really need to do this?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Not only CIA, here is Mosad, MI-5 etc etc

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I thought that there were computerized key words which narrowed down their searches into peoples personal script?

I mean really if this is new news or something surprising, it is geared towards the main stream user because everyone with half a brain knows everything is bugged.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I love that the MSM (AP/Yahoo) has the unmitigated gall to assert that this is their "exclusive" story when we at ATS have been reporting it for so long it's now "old news."

I think this is a revenue generation tactic. They take on these gargantuan surveillance projects to bolster their need for more billions... in the name of fighting those "who hate us for our freedoms."

Frankly, it is clearly they who hate our freedoms.... as if that could ever be in any doubt, given their overall policy of intrusion, subterfuge, mis/dis-information, and so much more....

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well, hardly a surprise.
Propably they start day from ATS
Look at it this way: Given enough data, from social networks you can precisely predict any social events, perhaps only in short time-span, like 3-4 days, but it's DOABLE.
Also, with the amount of dirty games they're playing, their worse future enemy is their own nation.

Howdy fellas, how's a day in Virginia going?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well they pay the Canadians to spy on Americans that has been well known for many years.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
You mean there have actually been people active online for more than a short time that didn't believe this was happening? I've assume for many MANY years now that everything we say, do and participate in online is tracked, indexed and archived by computers, if not human beings. I figure the more touchy things people like us here at ATS get into draw some personal attention to see what the rest of the context was for a set of keywords, far more often than many would like knowing.

At least it's in the open for those who would insist Intelligence Agencies don't do anything like this.

Look on the bright side. If you're a very active participant online, it'll save you so much face time and paperwork explaining your views and general personality. They'll already have all that nicely organized long before your applications at an alphabet soup agency is even processed at stage 1.
See? Always a bright side somewhere... lol

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Interestingly, the CIA HAD TO approve of this story running at this time or it wouldn't have seen the limelight of msm, not even a tinsy candle flicker of it , sooo... it must be partially to test peoples reaction/apathy level to a blatantly nazi style of operation, but also ...if they are releasing/ "leaking" this press blurb , it stands to reason they are divulging the 'old' to possibly obfuscate the new, so they question is what is the new protocol, methodology and implementation of all this information gathering, and more importantly if they have developed some new expert system or software what is it's purpose?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

"over-seas", yah right.

Although they are not permitted to spy domestically we know they do as confirmed by Jesse Ventura. Theres a CIA rep in every state government.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Because we all know nothing big goes down anywhere until it's been made an 'event' on FB.

How are they calling this exclusive? I thought everyone just assumed that everything is being watched be it net/home phone/mobile/texts. If they want to stumble across my twitter feed and actually buy some of my photo prints advertised on it, then they'd actually finally be doing something helpful! ;p

new topics

top topics

join