It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Poor Spellers Stupid?? This Is Your Answer !!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
What I find remarkably funny, is that through all the posts and replies to this article, most everyone's been on their 'best' behavior.

Absent, are the teeth-pulling slews of illiterate garbage that seems to pop up with every other topic.
It's quite refreshing, really.

I personally think it'd be nice were there an auto-warning before posting; something like, "Are you really sure you want to post this? Others will likely make fun of you, and any statement you're making loses credibility the more it's obvious you don't 'care' about those things you should have learned in grammar school as a child."

As far as intelligence goes, it's also hilarious how many people actually think and believe they're above average, or even smarter.
Sure, there's different types of intelligence and even different types of genius the current IQ model doesn't account for. Someone with artistic genius, for instance may be quite clever with paint, ink, music of other artistic pursuits yet, a total idiot when it comes to reason, logic, tying their shoes.
The same goes for the more conventional accepted ideals for 'smart', where puzzle solving ability, ranks high, yet intuitive and artistic concerns aren't factored into the data set. Someone may very well be an 'Einstein', but, like Einstein, have genuine trouble with spelling and/or other social skills, tying shoes, etc.

Where have all the real Renaissance 'men', gone? Thomas Jefferson was ambidextrous, spoke several languages, knew his philosophy, principals and mechanics of reason, could compose and play music on instruments, capable in the maths, and many other things.
Where have people like this man gone, these Renaissance men?
Examples such as he weren't all too rare with their contemporaries either. Now days, however, we're left with world leader and government politician choices like Herman Cain, George Bush, and on down the line of the fools galleries of names who are complete utter and total idiots. How did these people survive into adolescence? Much more; why are they our world leaders in business and politics now?

Sad, just sad.

Edit - expanded on some ideas.

edit on 4-11-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Obviously none of you morons read the article. It most definitely says that poor spelling indicates stupidity. Almost every post on here has spelling errors, as you all announce that you don't care how stupid it makes you seem. Laughable at best, actually pathetic. Spelling is a grade school level skill, so if you want to appear as if you have merely a third grade education, then have fun.

When you have automatic spellcheck like every post on here does, there is NO EXCUSE for bad spelling. It would seem to indicate you have no idea what those wavy red lines mean. In my book that would be called idiotic.

Further imbecility is displayed by grammatical errors, and the typical mixup of your, you're and they're, their, there. These won't be caught by spellcheck, so you look even more stupid.

Sorry, morons. Try reading the article. Then, good luck in life. Read the post by the only person who apparently read the article.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

you get a star for this as im sure it took forever to type that bad....

second line

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by CherubBaby

Hi Cherub,

I don't have to read that thread to say, no, poor spellers are not stupid.

No way - they are probably creative in other directions.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I thought bad spellers were already creative with their spelling, why would they be creative in other directions too? Hardly seems fair

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Oh the hypocrisy!

Correlation doesn't prove causation!

It matters not that, on average, people with better spelling are more intelligent.

What do you think of the average individual who comes on ATS?

Not your average pool of people..

We're obviously more creative in our thought processes.

I once had a thread that was a poll for lefties vs righties on ATS.

Half showed up left handed!

Again, far from the norm..

So, this "moron" just destroyed your pathetic attempt at sounding superior to the rest of us.

Don't bother expecting me to reply to anything you may say in response to this message.

I don't debate with "morons".

Oh wow I have to add this. Taken from the first page of the article:

The short answer to your main question is that poor spelling may, but doesn’t necessarily, indicate low intelligence. You could just be dyslexic — dyslexia being understood not merely as the tendency to transpose letters, as many inaccurately believe, but rather as a reading disability. Dyslexia is unrelated to general intelligence; those suffering from it often have a tough time spelling. (Some bad spellers are just underschooled, but per your letter that’s not you.)

You may have read it, but you seemed not to comprehend what was written!

edit on 4-11-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Obviously none of you morons read the article. It most definitely says that poor spelling indicates stupidity.

"The short answer to your main question is that poor spelling may, but doesn’t necessarily, indicate low intelligence"

That is a quote from the article you "read". Glad your spellcheck works nicely though. And I am sure you read your reply 10X make sure you were not going to make an ### of yourself with even a single spelling error. Maybe you should have done the same with the article.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
But??

We all know people who spell like a retard on purpose. Was this not an issue?

I also dislike people who bang on about typos, or an occasional grammar fub.

wot abt ppl wot lyk 2 tlk lyk idits ?

No time for them, none at all..

sherlock, do you disagree?
??

Yeah, it's irritating when people spell ''like'' as ''lyk'', or ''love'' as ''luv'', or any number of other affected misspellings.

But, I would say that it's more of a fad.

If people wrote out their CVs with this kind of spelling, then they're not exactly going to land themselves a plum job.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The spelling and vocabulary of a person has nothing todo with how intelligent he is, but it might be a clue that the overall capacity of the brain is in the lower end.

I say, if you jump to the conclusion, that a person is stupid, just by his or her writing, you might be the one who have the lower intelligence.

English is not my main language and it's not the best, but my iq is fine, thank you

edit on 4-11-2011 by iamdavid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
In my book that would be called idiotic.

It appears that you left out a comma in between ''book'' and ''that'', chap.

Your above comment says that your book would be called ''idiotic''.

Which book is this ? Why would it be called ''idiotic'' ?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's hard to say. I only know one person who is a poor speller and sad to say she is NOT bright. She has no common sense whatsoever, totally aloof, doesn't pick up on signals. She stopped her education after high school and is a stay at home mom. I'm not saying stay at home moms are stupid, I am one myself but I'm an excellent speller. I didn't stay home with my kids because I felt like I had no other opportunities. On the other hand my friend has never had a job of any kind and admits if her husband left her or died that she wouldn't be able to get a job etc... It's very obvious that she has minimal knowledge of anything. She doesn't know whats going on in the world and makes no attempt to know it either. I can't talk to her about worldly issues as she doesn't know anything. I don't know how she managed to make it through high school. She is totally just out there on her own in la la land. The girl can't even spell BOXES! She spells boxs. There instead of their. Hear instead of here, where instead of wear, ware,were....etc... In fact sometimes I cannot even read her FB post as they are all full of multiple errors. People call her out on it constantly and she still never spells stuff correctly. Her dad was an editor for a major book/magazine company, you think she would have tried harder eh?

So there are exceptions to the rule. I'm sure there are bright people who can't spell very well, I just don't know any.

edit on 4-11-2011 by favouriteslave because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
My excuse is that English is my second language and that probably effects my spelling.. I'm originally from Louisiana.

I've never caught myself on fire ( too badly) or choked on my own spit, and I stay indoors when its hailing outside, so I guess Im on the plus side of the "aint I a special snowflake" yardstick. TOOT TOOT!!!

edit on 4-11-2011 by Advantage because: I spelled a werd rong.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
i dnot konw waht you are tkalnig aoubt. I wtire preceftly fnie.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I guess if a forum like ATS is in english, and english isint your mother tongue, does it make you dummer than someone who only has the knowledge of 1 language.

Youd think that the people who has developed the capacity to exchange thoughts in different languages, wouldent that make that person smarter.

I apologies most of the times when i misspell in english

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by CherubBaby

Hi Cherub,

I don't have to read that thread to say, no, poor spellers are not stupid.

No way - they are probably creative in other directions.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by favouriteslave

Please don't make me edit your text. Your composition blows. Perhaps you should spend more time practicing your writing skills and less time bad-mouthing your friends. Why is she even a fb friend if you cannot bear her existence?

Not so nice to be on the receiving end, is it?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I wanted to say that I am not a good speller and the point of the thread was to be encouraging and to say that we all have our strengths. I mean it and thank all of you who have read or posted ...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
Where have all the real Renaissance 'men', gone?

Where have all the correct punctuators gone ?!

Smarmily trying to gain psychological ascendancy over others, on an internet forum, is a pretty sad and pathetic thing to do. Have a word with yourself.

''Where have all the real Renaissance 'men' gone?'', is the correct way to phrase that sentence.

There's absolutely no need for that comma between ''men'' and ''gone'', and, in fact, it makes your comment look grammatically third-grade.

Behave yourself.

edit on 4-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
I wanted to say that I am not a good speller and the point of the thread was to be encouraging and to say that we all have our strengths. I mean it and thank all of you who have read or posted ...

You spell fine and I have no problem understanding you. In fact, there are some horrendous spellers on here that I haven't had a problem understanding but you aren't one of them! I don't tend to judge by spelling skills or perfect grammar. I am not perfect myself.. obviously.

Just me, I like to look for the meaning or meat of the post rather than try to boost myself up by picking it apart over spelling. As you can see there are a lot of horn tooters here. I cant figure out if they are trying to convince themselves or everyone else of their superiority. I guess it takes all kinds! Sometimes judging others on certain things that will make you disregard the message leaves you the fool in the end

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
reply to post by favouriteslave

Please don't make me edit your text. Your composition blows. Perhaps you should spend more time practicing your writing skills and less time bad-mouthing your friends. Why is she even a fb friend if you cannot bear her existence?

Not so nice to be on the receiving end, is it?

Ha ha ha right on! Well at least I spelled everything correctly, I think. If not tell me so I can go back, fix it and learn! I don't know why she's still a FB friend. I would delete her but I have to see her at kids parties several times a year. This isn't about writing skills but about spelling. I don't care either way. My point was that the only person I know who cannot spell is also not bright. I speak the truth about this individual and I'm not the only one of her friends who thinks this. She knows I think her spelling sucks, big deal. Countless people have already told her. If she didn't want friends to think she was dumb then she would make an effort to correct it or use spell checker. She does neither so she doesn't care either way.

No one has to live with being a poor speller. Most try to acknowledge their weaknesses, take correction and fix them. I think those who make no attempt to correct them are not bright. If you can recognize a problem and fix it then that tells me your smart. Those who choose to do it over and over are truly ignorant. If the issue is dyslexia then it can slide. Even dyslexics can learn to correct their mistakes and try very hard to improve. So aside from learn difficulties I don't see any reason not to learn how to spell properly.
edit on 4-11-2011 by favouriteslave because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Misspelling words and typos are two different things.
Typos are slips of your cute little fingers, wheras misspelling is a slip of the mind.
It does seem that people who have difficulty spelling simply do not read much.
These message boards should be a good exercize for them, as they do have to read if they are going to make a reply. They should soon learn, but many of them seem oblivious to those who set the example with proper spelling and grammar.

No, it is not necessarily stupidity. Maybe carelessness. They are just not focused on the written language. I have a son who is highly intelligent but a really lousy speller. He even expresses his thoughts well in writing, but you have to be able to decode it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join