It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Soros is behind the Occupy movement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

My goodness, what a surprise. We never would have seen this coming, would we?

Free piece of advice, kids. As I've said somewhere else, the word "leaderless," is always a euphemism for "astroturf." Anonymous in particular are teenage dupes who, while well meaning, get led around by the nose, by any cynical fat cat who feels like throwing down a few million dollars, and starting a supposedly libertarian disturbance.

Don't get involved.
edit on 2-11-2011 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

well that is insane! great post regarding this.. i always knew there was something up with that

sorry didnt see your article at first
edit on 10/8/2011 by ApplesOnFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/8/2011 by ApplesOnFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I've been saying this since this whole OWS movement began, Soros is rubbing his hands together and saying slowly "Yes...YES"

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
i'm not saying soros isn't behind it, but what strikes me is this is a yahoo news story, and yahoo has been anything but credible about ows.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Or is it being made to look like he is behind it so the protesters lose faith and momentum?

Or to make them even angrier to the point of violence that will justify boots on the ground and tanks in the streets of America?

Gotta play the devil's advocate here...

edit on 2-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Did you bother to look at the indirect links that your using as evidence of something ? No, you didn't otherwise what you would have seen is that Soros, and 1000's of other people have at one time or another donated money to a foundation called Tides that give out donations to other foundations, one of them happened to be adbusters, and the donation that tides gave adbusters was $190'000 dollars in the last 10 years, not much of a "financing".

So I give to United Way, and then they give to Christians on A Mission, does that mean I am financing Christians on a mission ?

Really don't just take a news article from the mainstream media, and accept it as absolute truth, thats simply ridiculous, especially when the entire Soros is behind OWS was started here by several ATS members in the first place.

edit on 2-11-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This has already been talked about before,
doesn't really matter who funds what, there is still a point to be learned.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Funny the Yahoo article is sourced from this Reuters article that has this title:

Soros: not a funder of Wall Street protests

Here's the first paragraph of the Reuters piece:

(Reuters) - George Soros isn't a financial backer of the Wall Street protests, despite speculation by critics including radio host Rush Limbaugh that the billionaire investor has helped fuel the anti-capitalist movement.

Source:www.reuters.com...
When it comes to OWS you know you can trust Yahoo. Check this out:

Yahoo blocked email messages about Wall Street protests

Source:www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 3-11-2011 by jlv70 because: typo

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Now hold on....

"I can understand their sentiment," Soros told reporters last week at the United Nations about the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations....

...According to disclosure documents from 2007-2009, Soros' Open Society gave grants of $3.5 million to the Tides Center, a San Francisco-based group that acts almost like a clearing house for other donors, directing their contributions to liberal non-profit groups. Among others the Tides Center has partnered with are the Ford Foundation and the Gates Foundation.

Disclosure documents also show Tides, which declined comment, gave Adbusters grants of $185,000 from 2001-2010, including nearly $26,000 between 2007-2009.

Aides to Soros say any connection is tenuous and that Soros has never heard of Adbusters. Soros himself declined comment....

I don't think the word "tenuous" quite does this justice. In fact I think the authors should have prefaced this entire story with, "we're completely pulling this out of our butts." Read the article again: There is absolutely nothing that ties Soros to any of this. The fact that he "understand[s] their sentiment" is hardly evidence of any kind of connection, never mind an indictment....

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Great! Because Yahoo said, it must be true. Since Soros was mentioned, it must true.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Nice find. I'm not surprised. Soros is like some big corpulent spider sitting in the middle of a vast web, gleefully rubbing his forelegs together, just waiting. I'm sure he's not the only one, but it's downright odd how frequently his name comes up. It's like playing that old game--"six degrees of...George Soros".

What I AM surprised about, however, is that a mainstream outlet like Reuters is reporting on this. Perhaps fearing the wrath of the pitchfork-wielding peasants in the streets? Throwing old Soros under the bus, eh?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Now Yahoo has removed the article!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja
So I give to United Way, and then they give to Christians on A Mission, does that mean I am financing Christians on a mission ?

Well, actually--if you give to United Way, and they give to Christians on a Mission--yes, you ARE financing Christians on a Mission.

Originally posted by DrunkNinja
Really don't just take a news article from the mainstream media, and accept it as absolute truth, thats simply ridiculous, especially when the entire Soros is behind OWS was started here by several ATS members in the first place.

Just because Reuters says it, doesn't mean anybody should believe it. Question Everything. It doesn't necessarily mean that anybody shouldn't believe it, either. However, Soros seems to be like a bad odor that you just can't get rid of. Your response indicates that you (understandably) don't like the association of this blatant representative of the "1%" (wait, make that the "0.0000001%") with the OWS movement. But usually where there's Soros, there's money, profit, and power to be had. If he's not associated with OWS, then yes, it's a lame attempt to discredit the movement. If he IS behind it, that doesn't mean everyone has to give up; but people should be aware--and adjust accordingly.

Evidence for or against Soros involvement will likely be built slowly, if it exists. However, it should also be noted that Soros is associated with the so-called "color revolutions"; the "Arab Spring" and the "OWS Autumn" are arguably considered to be events in the same vein. They MAY be spontaneous grassroots uprisings. However, if you look at all these "revolutions" together, there is a distinct possibility of political/economic opportunity arising from the resulting chaos--if one has the means and the opportunity to do so, which Soros and his buddies do. Just saying it's a possibility; and in that case, a wise person neither accepts immediately, nor dismisses outright.
edit on 3-11-2011 by icanhaz because: clarification

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Your thread title says emphatically

George Soros is behind the Occupy movement

As proof, you offer this piece from Reuters.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Anti-Wall Street protesters say the rich are getting richer while average Americans suffer, but the group that started it all may have benefited indirectly from the largesse of one of the world's richest men.

Soros and the protesters deny any connection. But Reuters did find indirect financial links between Soros and Adbusters, an anti-capitalist group in Canada which started the protests with an inventive marketing campaign aimed at sparking an Arab Spring type uprising against Wall Street.

After weeks of speculation on this connection the best you can come up with is may have and indirect links
Come on now.

Oh wait a sec. Here's the proof we were looking for.

But conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh summed up the speculation when he told his listeners last week, "George Soros money is behind this."

well I guess that wraps it up.
Limbaugh, Really?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So Soros isn't behind OWS at all. Well now that is settled, let's talk about what movements the Koch brothers are behind. Really behind, as in hiring thugs to start trouble right here in Ohio across the street from where I work.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by icanhaz

Wow, you wrote all that just to highlight what is rudimentary common sense ? Of course you look at all options on the table, who doesn't. Did anyone here outright deny that anyone may be involved the way that the op implicated someone as being involved ? No, they didn't.

The way I responded shows an obvious disdain at the mention of Soros involvement ? No, it shows an obvious disdain at those that chose to not look at the facts of their own claims. You say that the United Way giving Christians on a mission is the same as me financing the latter ? I guess I can post on my resume now that I am the financial face behind Christians on a Mission in the same way Soros is credited with being "behind" adbusters.

You have also helped me highlight a point... You didn't bother to research how Tides takes in, and gives out funds. You see, Tides takes in donations that are ear marked by the donates to certain organizations. So, if I wanted to give to say a facist dictatorship, I could donate the money to Tides, earmark that donation for the facist dictatorship, and then Tides would then donate that money to said dictator, keeping me anonymous. If you had bothered to research on your own, you would have seen this, and understood how my reference to United Way is in no way the same, as well as giving you the wisdom not to attempt comment on it, and also the knowledge that all $190'000 could have very well been from Soros directly. Your post would have been a little different if you had known, probably more of that common sense don't rule anything out shtick.

The problem I think is that too many people in general feel that they are intelligent enough to not know the facts, but still form opinions, which is obviously an unintelligent assumption which is why they come across as stupid.

edit on 3-11-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join