It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Cane Corso!!

en.wikipedia.org...

puppyer.com...
Looks great too.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
get 4 or 5 west highland white terriers.
pros: bossy, domineering, fiercely protective, fast, agile, like little wolverines. but they have to be puppy mill dogs who know no boundaries. lol
cons: they will destroy your house before anyone else can. lol

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

a bad person having a great dog would be the reason, they get them for all the wrong reason and dont know how to train them. thats really about the only way to explain it but some pure bred pitbulls are inbred and inbreeding dogs causes some to be very agressive that mixed with a crappy person owning and raising will equal in a disaster.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I would get a mutt. All of those popular dog breeds are problematic. They have all types of disorders and who wants to have to deal with that? Though I am fond of Rotweilers myself, when the shtf mutts are the only dogs who will survive.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
dont kid yourself

you need something that can take down 700 pound wild pigs
something that can even save you from mountain lions

IVE SEEN IT HAPPEN

get yourself a group of healthy PITBULLS
not those ones you find roaming the streets eating children that were trained to guard
dope houses

im talking about the ones you RAISE yourself and teach to be more loyal
than your own wife
these things are monsters, and are good listeners
dont be fooled by the way the mainstream media portrays these dogs

they continue to fight even when their ears have been ripped off

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl

Originally posted by noisren
reply to post by Domo1

As a companion , Siberian Huskies are great, I own male and female, female is very protective. Highly intelligent dogs. But if you do not like hair, then it is not for you.

If you want loyalty and protection I would not suggest a Siberian Husky.

I also have two, male and female. While they are wonderful companions and highly intelligent, they are not easily trained and tend to be extremely independent. They are runners, by nature (obviously), and are excellent at tracking, hunting, etc. They refuse to fetch and can be really mischevious!

How are you going to say that Huskies are independent dogs. They rely on the pack nature to keep them happy, have you ever had a husky that was an only dog, they don't fair well at all. Huskies are the extreme opposite from independent, they need companions and an alpha male to be successful dogs.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Go for a Boerboel they are great dogs

en.wikipedia.org...

They are really big though.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
GSD all the way.....they are soo loyal and intelligent...they do have health problems tho...usually concerning the hip due to the way their body is build....all you gotta do is get the puppy checked before buying....

i also have a labrador..they are cute and friendly and what not...but they are hyperactive lol.....and GSD's are not UGLY my friend they are better looking than most of the dogs you mentioned especially DOBERMAN

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
some friends of ours years ago had a wolf-siberian husky mix. was a friendly dog to people, but would eat cats if they got anywhere near him.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
We rescued a chow staffordshire terrier mix. This dog will lick you to death but also is extremely protective. I would defiantly agree with rescuing a dog.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Iv had a few dog breeds over the years between living at home as a kid and in my own place now.

Iv had german shepard. staffordshire bull terrior and 2 greyhounds.

I think the greyhounds are the best for me personally. They are lazy and sleep most of the time, so they are good if you live ina flat or an house. But once you let them off the lead on a field they are off like hell and verry playfull.

They are allso verry loyal and an alert dog, as i said they are asleep a lot but it doesn't take much to wake them, a knock at the door or a noise in the kitchen and they will soon be up and on stand by read ready for some # to go down.

Allso if the SHTF they can catch you your food

And as you said you are loking to adopt, you can usually pick up an ex racing dog or working dog from greyhound recue if you have one in your country.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-11-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

watch that video, some one needs to make a .gif of that.
extremely smart (thought to be the smartest breed of dog in the world), type A personality, strong willed,
independent but still affectionate. aggressive to unannouced visitors. excellent hunting dog .likes the chase a bit too much. they don't shed.

don't take their sock. just don't.

edit on 4-11-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

For what you want.. a german shepard sounds best.. but, they are not the type of dog to adopt.. then train.. they are normally loyal to a single person, or family and thats that..

My dog.. you can call a bit of everything

Hes got intelligence beyond any other dog i've seen except german sheppards and, he is far more intimidating then any breed mentioned.

100% pure breed english mastiff.

Gets along with any dogs hes ever met, probably due to intimidation, but he can be the most friendly dog ever. When we first rescued him he was about 1 year old.. and hated black people.. and i mean HATED. One day, ordered pizza, sure enough it was a black man, but, hercules wasent being vicious like normal.. maybe cause he had food? not sure. Never been an issue since.. maybe he had a bad life before us..

Cons on my breed? Very large. messy, slobber, prone to ear infections.. hip displacia.. and average life span of 7 years. Just to add.. Hercules died 2 months ago, at age 11.

So regardless of what breed you choose, and for what ever reasons.. you will get out of it, as much as you put into it. Mastiffs live 7 years.. herk lived for 11... and was a healthy horse up until the last 2 months, something with his heart the vet said...I blocked it out due to shock.. i spent the main part of childhood and teenage years and early adult hood with this dog.. and he was more then family.

Find a dog that suites you, and I very much appreciate the fact you'd like to rescue/adopt over a breeder, more people like you and I are needed in this world.

Final thought... pitbulls have a bad rep... i've owned 3... females are way more agressive, but way easier to train.. and they are by far the most loyal, and second only to a german sheppard.

edit... forgot to add.. i prefer big dogs.. i currently own a newfoundlender.. about the same weight as hercules around 160 lbs, but appears twice the size. VERY friendly, but also protective (NOT AGRESSIVE) towards new people. If I don't introduce you to bear... dont try to come neer me.. might loose a finger.. haha its only happened once.. and he 'snipped' at the guy.. never bit him. nor did he make the first move, hense why I say not agreessive, but protective. I prefer large breed dogs.. but again, anything you decide on, I hope its a rescue/adopt. You could truly change the animals life, and for some people, animals are more then just pets.

my .02 C
edit on 4-11-2011 by tbonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Lots of big dogs seem to be in the running here. Just remember, the bigger the dog the bigger the food bowl. If you want a dog to be with you in a survival situation, you don't need an eating machine. My recommendation is a Aussie blue heeler. They are tough, medium sized, protective and not prone to problems that the big dogs get. Some are great, some are too aggressive. You need to screen the dog well. They were originally cattle herding dogs, so they are fearless, so much a "go fot the throat" dog, but they sure can keep an enemy off guard long enough for you to take him out.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I would say a border collie , only because my parents bought one when I was born and It died a week after my 18th birthday , was the best dog EVER!

although me and my fiance just recently bought two "chug" pups and they are fantastic
and well behaved for even puppies

The closer you get to a wolf the better the dog ,
collies and german shepards , or even a cross of them are perfect

and also the less health problems through interbreeding of breeds.

althoug they do suffer cattarcts and arthritis in later life but who doesnt if your old !

Didnt realise you meant for survival , well in that case an Irish wolf hound , big and surly can take down anything !
edit on 4-11-2011 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Just get A Boxer and be done with it!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I would suggest a Labrador or a Golden Retriever, nice Dogs, very loyal and friendly, very smart and an excellent temperament.

They can also fight and defend, but only when provoked,lastly they seem the most Cat friendly.

Cosmic..

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm a dog owner and dogtrainer (not a pro) myself, I would advice to you out of my expierences in the past with all kinds of dogs (sheperds, malinois, dobermann, rottweiler etc) mentioned above:

A) An Australian Cattledog:

* It's in the Top10 of the most intelligent dogs out there.
    * Only focussed on it's "boss" and family.
    * It will go the extra mile for you if you ask it to.
    * Protective towards it's boss and family
    * It will never ever be agressive towards them (bred not to bite)
    * It's very very easy to train.
    * Very focussed and loyal towards it's owner. (hard to make it listening to someone else)
    * It will learn everything within a fraction of the time it would cost a lot of dogs mentioned above to learn things.
    * Knows (almost) no fear at all. (there are Blue Heelers jumping from helicopters in Australia when herding cattle)
    - Can grow very old, between 15-20 years in good health and physical condition, a lot of younger dogs can not compete with my almost 10 year old Blue Heeler.

B) A Turkish Kangal (Anatolian Sheperd):

* Very very very powerful and tall (about 30-32 inches for males and 28-30 inches for females)
    * Will take on anything that challenges it, even bears, tigers etc. (there are vidz on thetube showing that those mentioned last are respectful towards the Kangal)
    * Can work independently and will guard and defend your territory.
    * As intruder you do not make any chance at all.
    * It are very relaxed towards the family it lives with.
    * It's very impressive when challanged. Only hearing his growl will fill your pants with all kinds of bodily excrements.

But what both dogs have in common and, to me a very very important feature: They aren't OVER BRED like Germans, Malinois and all these other kind of guarddogs. Most of the others have a lot of diseases and weak features after being bred for so many years.

And what is very important to me also that both mentioned above, are kind dogs towards the family. Especially towards the kids. Take a trained German, Dobermann, Rottweiler or whatever, and they will always make a "mistake" in biting their owner or owners kids. I do not trust any of them with small kids, but the Blue Heeler (ACD) and Kangal I do. But that is only my experience I made in the last 35years or so...

Note: I've heard some good other breeds mentioned here, and I can only speak out of the experience with the dogs mentioned in this thread. I've owned several Germans, Malinois, Bouvier des Flandres,and Staffords, but compared in total, MY choice will always be the Australian Cattle Dog or Kangal.

Choose wisely !!!

Cheerz

edit on 4/11/11 by WeirdOldDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
Lots of big dogs seem to be in the running here. Just remember, the bigger the dog the bigger the food bowl. If you want a dog to be with you in a survival situation, you don't need an eating machine. My recommendation is a Aussie blue heeler. They are tough, medium sized, protective and not prone to problems that the big dogs get. Some are great, some are too aggressive. You need to screen the dog well. They were originally cattle herding dogs, so they are fearless, so much a "go fot the throat" dog, but they sure can keep an enemy off guard long enough for you to take him out.

I overlooked your reply, before I wrote mine, but as you can see, I agree 110% !!!

Blue Heelers rule !

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

Are you serious? All the boerbuls I've come across are as dense as door nails. And they slobber - glue slobber - takes 2 washes to get the slobber out of your clothes. Also apparently the muscles or ligaments cause problems when they get too much exercise??? I couldn't believe my ears when the vet said that. The one my in-laws have is a chicken-s##t - she runs away when you go anywhere near her with a water bottle.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join