It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major discrepancy from jpl/nasa and spaceweather.com in regards to YU55

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Is it so difficult to believe that the clever guys at JPL/NASA are actually telling the truth? Why must everything be some grand conspiracy?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

That was my point as well.

Seems there is a lot of selective reasoning going on with theorists. "Oh, we'll accept that NASA is telling the truth about the date that YU55 is closest to us, but as for the distance? Forget it, they're lying liars who lie."

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by trekwebmaster

Originally posted by ngchunter
reply to post by trekwebmaster

Once again, our average distance from the sun is 1au, it is not a fixed distance, only an average. Our orbit is slightly elliptical.

True, but that's not what I'm questioning. Given that 1AU is approx. to 0.99 and an average, it's what is computed FROM that average. Are we in that LESS than 1AU away, or are we just a wee bit over the 1AU away from the Sun? One could miss by a country-mile and another could be a direct hit.

It's not going to hit:

It doesn't get any less "vague" than that.

See, my graphic estimate of 240,000 km was pretty damn mathematically correct!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
spaceweathermonitor.com...

Perhaps thats just it.. they have doubts.
reply to post by Vandalour

That's not very comforting to think about.
I wasn't paying much attention to YU55
until now. Think I better tune in a little
more.

edit on 2-11-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Idk if anybody has said this yet because I am too lazy to read through three pages of posts, but I am pretty sure it is because it is rounded. For example if a number is .0440354750938745983470 + .32498235037 then your answer would be different by a couple decimals then from .044 + .325. anyways thats what i think though im no math major nor space scientist otherwise were all gonna die.... much love to everyone

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
this thread is a disgrace to ATS.

imagine 3 points in space.

1 - sun
2 - earth
3 - yu55

1 - 2: distance between sun and earth isn't exactly 1au because our orbit isn't a damn circle, it was already mentioned. 1au is just an approximation.
1 - 3, 2 - 3: distance changes as yu55 travels through space, but since it's never at the exact line (in 3 dimensions!) between sun and earth, distance 1 - 3 and distance 2 - 3 will NEVER EVER add up to the current distance 1 - 2 (which isn't even 1au right now as was already mentioned).

so, you have a triangle with sides 1 - 2, 1 - 3 and 2 - 3, and you're trying to treat 1 - 2 as a straight line being the sum of lines 1 - 3 and 2 - 3 - while these don't even sum up to a straight line, nor to the length of 1 - 2 - which you're assuming to be 1au when it's not, and you're searching for the smallest possible random-flawed-calculation-result, being a result of all your mistakes added up, and claim it's a distance at which yu55 will miss the earth.

seriously, with all the respect, but how people can be SO stupid? you're behaving like you're trying to prove you're a rocket scientist - which you're obviously not - while making errors in your 'calculations' that even a kid from elementary school would be able to point out.

but yeah, 2+2=4 so that means doom. i have a feeling ATS registration form should include automatic IQ test, rejecting everyone below at least 125.

kids, read some books, take your lessons and do your homework before wasting other's time on the internet, ok?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join