It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help!!Got a refurbished compter and now I cant get a spell check on it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
My old computer kept crashing left and right...So the only thing i could afford is a refurbished one...Well i cant seem to download a spell checker..I tried ie or ei what ever its called and it didnt work,do i tried to download fire fox and couldnt get that either..Help any suggestions on what i can do

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Well, I do not know of any stand alone spell checkers...however, if you are looking for a web browser with one, download Google Chrome. That way, you get a spell checker in your browser, and Google gets more info on you

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake
reply to post by eeks4

Well, I do not know of any stand alone spell checkers...however, if you are looking for a web browser with one, download Google Chrome. That way, you get a spell checker in your browser, and Google gets more info on you

I dont know much about computers..Ill try it thank you so much

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Not sure why you posted this in the Predictions and Prophecies thread...nonetheless...

Most if not all of the latest browsers have built in spell checkers. Open a text box and type some gibberish it should be underlined in red, if so it has a spell checker. The fact that it is a refurbished computer isn't really conducive of spell checking software. Most spell checkers are provided in Office type programs.

OpenOffice is freeware that is compatible with MS Office mime types (.xml .doc .docx). If it's word processing that you need then openoffice.org is the place to visit. If it's your browser you're concerned with, then there are tons of add-ons avaialble, but like I said, most if not all browsers these days have it built in.

Good Luck!

edit on 11/1/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
wipe your comp, install windows, install drivers, update, get firefox, and then get your spell checker, although what the hell is a spell checker program, I mean you talking about a word document program?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
mines worked when i first got it, a red line appeared under the word, no mstter wherre i typed it, now i doesnt, so i know what you mean. Any help would be well, helpful i guess, as my spelling is not as good as my reading for some strange reason. Try explain that one?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
wipe your comp, install windows, install drivers, update, get firefox, and then get your spell checker, although what the hell is a spell checker program, I mean you talking about a word document program?

It keeps you spellin in line..THe word will underline in red and you right click on it and you pick the word you want,so you dont miss spell..Its good for people like me that arent the best at spelling

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

I really dont want goolge as my front page..Will that happen??I have always had fire fox untill now..

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Firefox has it built in. What operating system does this computer have? What is wrong with your old one? Does it just need the operating system reinstalled or did it have a component fail like a hard drive? Most kids these days would fix it for a few bucks and they generally know how.

I'd never recommend a used computer. At three years of age their true value is around $40 in good condition. For three hundred you can get a mini-laptop or you can get a basic E-Machine for a few dollars more which is all you need for the Internet. I've used them for office machines for about six years and none have failed.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

You can make your homepage whatever you want it to be, in any browser. Mine is the Recent Posts page of ATS.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by eeks4
reply to post by eeks4

I really dont want goolge as my front page..Will that happen??I have always had fire fox untill now..

OK, I see now. You have never learned how to use your computer. You need somebody local to help you with that.

You can set any home page you wish. Firefox will work just fine and do what you want. Take a deep breath and accept the fact that at some point you may need to get books to help you learn and use the built in help files to learn from. Otherwise your computer experience won't be very satisfying. Just learning the basics will make your computer far more useful and enjoyable.

Find a kid, bribe them with a few dollars to help you out. Twenty bucks to a bright kid can get you lots of help.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Download the latest version of firefox from Firefox Then launch Mozilla from the desktop and you should have your spell checker.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Firefox has it built in. What operating system does this computer have? What is wrong with your old one? Does it just need the operating system reinstalled or did it have a component fail like a hard drive? Most kids these days would fix it for a few bucks and they generally know how.

I'd never recommend a used computer. At three years of age their true value is around $40 in good condition. For three hundred you can get a mini-laptop or you can get a basic E-Machine for a few dollars more which is all you need for the Internet. I've used them for office machines for about six years and none have failed.
I got it now..it finally downloaded..I don't know what happened with the old computer..It just kept crashing all the time....I dot know why this one wouldn't down load but it finally did..I'm not on the computer much..That is why i don't worry about it so much

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esotericizm
Download the latest version of firefox from Firefox Then launch Mozilla from the desktop and you should have your spell checker.

Yea i got it on now..FINALLY Yes

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Esotericizm

WE can kill this thread no don't need it anymore..Thank you all for your help...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Not sure why you posted this in the Predictions and Prophecies thread...nonetheless...

Most if not all of the latest browsers have built in spell checkers. Open a text box and type some gibberish it should be underlined in red, if so it has a spell checker. The fact that it is a refurbished computer isn't really conducive of spell checking software. Most spell checkers are provided in Office type programs.

OpenOffice is freeware that is compatible with MS Office mime types (.xml .doc .docx). If it's word processing that you need then openoffice.org is the place to visit. If it's your browser you're concerned with, then there are tons of add-ons avaialble, but like I said, most if not all browsers these days have it built in.

Good Luck!

edit on 11/1/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

I too recommend open office at openoffice.org You can edit microsoft documents along with other types as well. And it is nearly as powerful as MS word without the price tag. It has spell check included with it.
What you want is "Open Office" Don't know why firefox would not work or download but I have gone to it exclusively as the safest one to use which also has spell check. right now it has underlined three words which I am actually too lazy to change since it really is redundant. so it works just fine for me. Do you best to get firefox to work.

DH

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

MI spelchkr works jist fyne. Meybee its yoo.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by eeks4

..LOL..i got the firefoz now..Now i can spell...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

I use MS office in my replies and it still fails me from time to time.

Such a doofus! *Beats head on wall*

Hehe...you said Firefoz.

edit on 1-11-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by eeks4

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by eeks4

..LOL..i got the firefoz now..Now i can spell...

Firfox runs slow somethimes..Im wondering if it co;uld of killed my computer (old one) somehow....It uses so much memery..What happened to the spell checkk not this again...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join