It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia’s Shorter University tells workers to sign pledge they are not gay

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
But it doesn't stop there....

To better ensure its staff follows the school’s biblical mandate, Georgia's Shorter University told its 200 employees late last month to sign a “Personal Lifestyle Statement” rejecting homosexuality, adultery and premarital sex.

washingtonpost.com

Does a religious university have the right to put such strict standards on their professors?
Is lifestyle so much more important then the abilities a professor brings to the table?

Should a person who has a long education and decent teaching experience simply be fired because of who they are?

If the school receives any kind of public funding, then I would say absolutely no, they can't put these standards n the staff.

I believe the anonymous person interviewed makes a good point, if someone doesn't like you, what is to stop them from making accusations?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I guess all the priests will have to go then.
I would say that violates a persons right to privacy.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It's a Baptist institution.

Is lifestyle so much more important then the abilities a professor brings to the table?

Depends. In this case it has considerable effect on parents and students who want to attend a Baptist University that shares their same values and worldview.

edit on 1-11-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Does a religious university have the right to put such strict standards on their professors? Is lifestyle so much more important then the abilities a professor brings to the table?

Does one go to a religious university for learning about anything other than religion? Probably not, that said, since it's a private religious institution, sadly, they are well within their rights to declare this.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
A private institution most certainly has the right to discriminate.

Employers also have the right to discriminate against those who have a degree from Shorter University after this policy goes into effect and I would be surprised if they didn't. Unless they are a Baptist backwoods "no homo" (at least in public) workplace. And being that conservative, I bet the pay would be as little as legally allowed.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just another bigoted cult.

You just know behind closed doors Shorter University staff members turn up the house music and strip down to their tighty-whiteys and have a big 'ol homo bath party

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by frankensence
Just another bigoted cult.

You just know behind closed doors Shorter University staff members turn up the house music and strip down to their tighty-whiteys and have a big 'ol homo bath party

EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!

Seriously, I live in Georgia...that stuff goes on. Well, maybe not the dance party part, or maybe it does?
Lots of preachers likes them some men. It wouldn't be a problem for me if they weren't so publicly critical of alternative lifestyles.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I can't figure out where this is - is this shorter college in ROME, GA, or is it somewhere else?

Are there two?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is disgusting. Sure, they're well within their rights, and far be it from me to deny them that, but what they are doing is disgusting.

There sure is a lot of sad news coming out of Georgia lately.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Indeed.

But, lets not forget the worst thing of all coming from Georgia......

Herman Cain.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
reply to post by cetaphobic

Indeed.

But, lets not forget the worst thing coming from Georgia.

Herman Cain.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

Don't forget the Newt!
Yeah, we want to move outta this state ASAP, but job prospects elsewhere are nil in this booming economy.
But I guess I should count my blessings...at least this isn't Texas.
edit on 1-11-2011 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I looked it up - this IS coming from the university in Rome.

Funny I couldn't find jack about it in the local paper except the editorials.
That's the way it is here though. Lots of really wonky stuff goes down and if you don't see it in the national news, you'd never know. It's like "It's normal here, not news, move along."

Cop tazes young man off the side of a ravine and breaks his neck, then drags him up the hill and he's paralyzed for life? Nothing new, move along. He wasn't even drunk after all? We won't let you know!

This is GEORGIA. Go GEORGIA. You do it like we say you do it or we make you a total outcast - if we can, we'll crush your head! And no one will know or care....muhahahaha
Go Georgia! That's right, focus on the football because the acadmic performance is about the worst in the nation!
GO GO GO

Unemployment rate nearing 15% locally! Quick, make sure we don't hire gays! GO! Now ! GO!
edit on 1-11-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Does a religious university have the right to put such strict standards on their professors? Is lifestyle so much more important then the abilities a professor brings to the table?

Does one go to a religious university for learning about anything other than religion? Probably not, that said, since it's a private religious institution, sadly, they are well within their rights to declare this.

Of course they do, this isn't a seminary.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I took several classes at Shorter.
At the time I could not walk. They were not at all handicapped accessible - and they really did not care.
They did not tell me that when I paid my tuition.
First semester all my classes were off a gym that was no problem and I didn't even notice.
2nd semester I had classes up several flights of stairs - and there was no elevator. They told me "We never said we were handicapped accessible!"

It looks like when you pay and you're in a wheelchair they'd tell you, huh?
I should have asked, but since they were getting federal funding, I thought they would be!
Anyway, I already had a degree and was successful in two fields. I just like to learn - and, they weren't teaching me much at all, if anything.

I kept having to work in assigned teams. I constantly felt like I was doing ALL the work for the teams. (Because I am capable and I am smart and I wasn't going to make a B if I could help it.) To me that's crazy. I want to make my own grades. When I hire someone, I like to think THEY did their own work in college too.

Lots to NOT like about Shorter.
edit on 1-11-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
But it doesn't stop there....

To better ensure its staff follows the school’s biblical mandate, Georgia's Shorter University told its 200 employees late last month to sign a “Personal Lifestyle Statement” rejecting homosexuality, adultery and premarital sex.

washingtonpost.com

Does a religious university have the right to put such strict standards on their professors?

Should a person who has a long education and decent teaching experience simply be fired because of who they are?

If the school receives any kind of public funding, then I would say absolutely no, they can't put these standards n the staff.

I believe the anonymous person interviewed makes a good point, if someone doesn't like you, what is to stop them from making accusations?

Here is a novel idea, don't work for a private university. I wouldn't sign up to join the KKK and complain that they reject me because of my skin color.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

Yes, of course, let's all not work to fix discrimination, just ignore it! That will surely make it go away!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

Yes, of course, let's all not work to fix discrimination, just ignore it! That will surely make it go away!

Fix discrimination? It is their own private university they are not obligated to let gay people work there anymore than you are obligated to go to church on Sundays. So we have a group of people running their own show and minding their own business and then we have you saying they are somehow wrong. You come off more like westboro baptist than they do. They are minding their own business, you are telling people what to think.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Actually, I haven't told anyone what to think. I just absolutely despise when people say we should just avoid whatever bothers us, as if it's bothering us for no reason.

In my previous post, I said they are well within their rights to do this.

But that does not make it morally right, and we are well within OUR rights to speak up against it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

Discrimination?? It's the free expression of religion guaranteed by the first amendment to the Constitution.

People nearly always forget that their rights end where another person's rights begin.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
it is becoming lunacy i believe that religion is the reason many of our freedoms are taken away. Isnt it a sin to use religion as a tool for their own personal devices isnt God supposed to judge and not some self righteous religious leader?
edit on 1-11-2011 by anthaltie because: misworded

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join