It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this early snowstorm be a precursor to another mini ice age for the US. and How would you surv

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Well.. I don`t live there, but it`s not really a HUGE problem - but it is a problem.

First of all - the transportation methods would break down. This is until people adapt and government set in vehicles to spray salt on the roads. This is an ultimatum since most american tires are not adapted to winter driving. In scandinavia though you would not find a person that doesn`t have tires that are used for both winter(snowy roads) and summer. Most common is to have two sets of tires - summer AND winter.

Second problem would be electric lines going down, they are not built with heavy snowfall in mind. There would be huge work to get these up and running again.

Third problem would be pipelines. If the temperature drops below what is normal then I don`t really believe they`re built to withstand it. Frozen water lines and sewage, maybe even gas-pipes going own.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
A mini iceage during global warming....not likely.

The movie "Day after tomorrow" is actually based on a scientific study. So.... one of the worst case scenarios of global warming is actually a HUGE iceage covering everything above the equator with tonnes of snow and ice. Since snow reflects more of the sun this is kind of a bad circle. The most interesting part is HOW and why the snow subsided - this is connected to the solar cycle where the sun is warmer and colder over long periods of time - think of it as the sun breathing or a flame in your stove burning - flames go up - flames go down depending on energy access and energy adding factors.
edit on 1-11-2011 by br0ker because: Adding some more..

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by br0ker

The movie "Day after tomorrow" is actually based on a scientific study. So....

Too bad it wasn't based on a good movie.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOven

Originally posted by br0ker

The movie "Day after tomorrow" is actually based on a scientific study. So....

Too bad it wasn't based on a good movie.

Hehe.. well, it could have been worse. At least the FX was ok.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

Hello,

Yes our government also uses salt cars however they only buy so much salt to spray ten major cities for a week.
The last five years the salt had ran out in a week and they never seem to draw a lesson. I live near farmland and I haven't seen a salt car there for a decade. Every year it's a chaos.

What I mean with the trains is that when there's half an inch of snow on the rail you can automatically expect 10-20 minutes delay and we don't have industry trains that can clean the tracks. We would have to hire German railroads.

Our water piping, oil and gas and electricity wire are all protected against Siberian temperatures and weather.
Our infrastructure for such things is good we never have problems with that. However these things are done by private businesses and not the government.

Our government just doesn't prepare.
edit on 1/11/11 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
20 - 30 feet of snow:
Roofs would cave in, some buildings would collapse, stores would be closed, power would be out. It only takes 12" to do all of the above so 20' would be devastating.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

It happened in Denmark last winter. There is a Danish island that lies between the cold and the warm sea. I don't exactly know how it works but as of what I can remember those temperatures collided together with a lot of moist and created a redicilious amount of snow.

5 feet snow in 24 hours. Bornholm

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Global warming? What are you smoking dude? That sht's been debunked thoroughly.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

I think you're mistaken, global warming is very very real. I'm very curious as to where you've received your facts, for you're the one who's "smoking" if you think other wise.
edit on 1-11-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

This is kind of my peeve for this state. Growing up in Pennsylvania, you had snow tires. You put them on in the fall. Everyone does it.

A good pair of snow tires is better then four wheel drive.

When I moved here, I asked the mechanic to put my snow tires on and he had no idea what I was talking about. :/

We got 5 feet of snow two years ago, time for people to learn about snow tires.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This thread title is confusing, the title asks if a snowstorm is a precursor to an ice age, but you get a surival scenario in the body.

Now, an early snowstorm is not a precursor to an ice age, we are nowhere near an ice age cycle.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

I think you're mistaken, global warming is very very real. I'm very curious as to where you've received your facts, for you're the one who's "smoking" if you think other wise.
edit on 1-11-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

Let me tell you something superkid, where I live in the northern hemisphere the winters are getting colder!
Everyone in my area who are locals through ahd through agree the winters are getting harsher.
Within living memory the summers have shifted from being blazing sunshine in the 1940s to 70s to mild and scarce!
It's getting colder so deal with it.
And don't give me the dope attitude either

edit on 1-11-2011 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

So your rebuttal to global warming, is simply because you think were you live, is getting colder? Now I'm not disputing the fact that the past winters haven't been worse than previous. This may be due to the polar regions melting and the cold being redistributed, I don't know. I know this fact, we hit 100 degrees for almost three consecutive weeks where I live and we hit 100 more times than ever recorded. This year was the second hottest year on record, last year being the hottest. So while you say it's cooling down, I say it's heating up. Global warming is a fact, it's whether or not humans have contributed to it, that's in question.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

It's in The Netherlands too. I back up his story. There'll be thousands of others.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Reply to post by WatchRider

Global warming is causing an ice age.

Duh

/sarcasm

lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 1   >>

join