It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Defense

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Yeh man I have a 150lb Pistol Crossbow, Its a Lynx Magnum, I believe its the only one of its kind. The damage was only £99 as well. Im looking into saving up for a Swiss Crossbow. Its an amzing bit of kit.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
wow thats amazing man!! Haha you would scare the * out of anyone with that toy!!
edit on 30-10-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Outside of firearms, I have a baseball bat (amazing how fast one of those will take the fight out of someone), and various edged weapons for last resort (I'm not a trained knife/sword fighter).

Dogs are a good idea, but owning a dog is a big responsibility, and I can barely maintain myself most times, so for the benefit of the dog, I don't get one.

I also have various "alarms" rigged for nocturnal prowlers. They won't be catching me sleeping, that's for sure.

Another good idea, maybe the best, is to have a plan. What to do when your door gets kicked in, or windows start smashing. Where do you move to? What are your best defensive positions? Where's your best cover? I have several to choose from depending on where the threat is coming from (front door, back door, living room window, etc.).

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

Twenty plus years of martial arts training(wing chun,escrima,swaijaal amongst others) and growing up in Liverpool.
Also as im in the UK and we have some very strict resonable force and weapons laws,i have some incidental weapons hanging around my house(escrima sticks,"ornimental machete"and a four battery maglight torch by my bed "in case of a power cut") i also have a staffordshire bull terrior as an early warning system.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by marvinthemartian
Also as im in the UK and we have some very strict resonable force and weapons laws...

In regards to such laws, stay alive first, worry about the legality later.
Self defense trumps all laws.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

I have my own 'ornamental' machete as well, its a nice little ESEE Lite Machete. Have also been training in taekwondo for a couple of years and am really keen to try kung fu tai chi, already have some of the wrist locks down purely through watching Yang Wjing Ming videos and practicing with friends, I cant believe how effective they are in self defence, makes most of my taekwondo training obsolete, even though I do enjoy the variety of kicks.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I dont mean to be rude but most kicks dont work unless your opponent is asleep,anyone who can fight closes the gap to quickly.Also if you are fighting in the house there is no room.Wing chun is ideal for cramped close quarter fighting,fast hands,low level efficient kicks and we call joint locks idiot locks because you have to be an idiot to get caught by one.Half an hour with a good wc teacher/practitioner and you will never be caught by one again.
A couple of weeks/months with a good escrimadoor and you will be proficient with a stick/machete and a short knife after all its not rocket surgery.
And dont forget incedental weapons.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

I was never implying using taekwondo kicks for defense, I find it a fun and exciting martial art and for me it happens to be completely free. With Locks etc I am going on the basis that 99% of people have not spent half an hour with a wing chun practitioner, and if I come across that 1% ill cut off their head/arm/leg with my machete

Thanks for your opinion, and no it wasnt 'that' rude

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Groovy, there is no better reason to practise a martial art than pleasure,so keep it up.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

I have two 90 lb Rhodesian Ridgebacks and they are excellent guard dogs. Always alert me of trouble

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well, dogs need food , they are very happy eating meat. If SHTF, how can they get that food? Having a large dog is great, but what about feeding? A crossbow does not eat lol

top topics

<< 1   >>

join