It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New type of R.A.T.S board

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My warmest greetings to the owners, administrators and lesser lords of ATS.

This has been on my mind for quite some time now:
How about a whole new type of "closed" board, like RATS but even more so "above"?
This board should only accept members who have a certain number of "applauses".
In that way, members that truly contribute to ATS, in the way that it is intended to be done, can get together in a troll-free environment.
The old R.A.T.S has totally dropped in standards so that it resembles any other board on ATS, sadly.

Whatcha think?

Sincerely;
Raud

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I think that's actually quite a nice idea...

However, why make a new board?.. Can't we add a system like this, or something similar, to the already existing RATS board? That way a new forum doesn't have to be created, and hopefully RATS can be turned into something worth visiting again. Anyway, just throwing that idea out there is all.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

We most certainly could!
Anywhere that could work as a refuge for us gifted with a more refined taste when it comes to online discussions

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raud

We most certainly could!
Anywhere that could work as a refuge for us gifted with a more refined taste when it comes to online discussions

Well ats may answer something like this. So the ammount of agreement a current mod may have is somehow more important than the peoples word. Somewhat like a governing body, indeed they could not exist without us, but we could not exist without them.... who knows, take a vote

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I recall a similar thread ages ago and the conclusion I drew is that those whistle blowing and the others with secrets have simply gone away and chosen not to share. Now this could be because of our ever expanding membership that includes the lulz and derps, meaning those who take topics much less serious than those who are really interested, or it could be other factors. I am reminded (often) that websites need to grow and (de)evolve or the site dies, but also if everyone who shares gets clobbered with jokes and accusations of lying they WILL most assuredly remain silent.

I think if we raised the RATS bar again, it would still be a ghost town if the overall site reputation has diminished.
It seems like this is all I write about these days, but we need to remember that yes while this is a user generated site and more members is better business, it also dilutes the serious research and also scares away any potential whistle blowing.

This bothers me a great deal. ATS has been my home for years and I have been here daily reading and learning.
It has become part of my online routine and to see it change so much just hurts. I know those who share the sentiment are told that the old vs new is an age old problem and it causes a natural turn over of members to keep things fresh, but I still disagree and long for the days when researchers like Valhall investigating Katrina camps first hand and reporting back, or Mike Singh (sp?) debating space anomalies, or even the guys in weaponry talking about the latest secret weapons. Hell, even SERPO was shredded to pieces by the best we had to offer. It was amazing to see these guys produce such quality. I wished I had the talent and ability to do what they did. These members have since moved on and we are left lacking.

Look back on the older RATS threads, you will see some good threads.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality
So the ammount of agreement a current mod may have is somehow more important than the peoples word.

Uhm, yeah? I've read many-a "peoples words" in the boards, and most of the time it doesn't give me, or the topics at hand, anything of use.
Given an "applause-limit" would be like providing a board "driving-licence".

The idea that RATS is supposed to be hard-core inside info only might not be nothing more than an intention from the site owners when the board first opened. Of course there are some juicy bits and pieces in there, but I would not say there is significantly more such info in there compared to the rest of the boards. RATS suffers much from the name itself. I'd like to suggest a renaming too to disarm the high expectations that seem to generate a bit too many "where are the secrets"-threads that add nothing of value.

We need RATS, or a quality-secured section of ATS where we can enjoy a higher level of interaction between awarded members who know manners and decorum and who refrain from one-liners and such.
I also love the idea that threads in RATS cannot be tracked from the outside (more than maybe the headline, at best).

I hope that the mods will take this seriously.
RATS was before the liberalisation of membership rules a pretty dull place, I know. But now, I can't see how it's different from any other board.

I think the applause-limit is the only way to go. Through that, it will send a clear message to the members what kind of attitude and contributions ATS was intended to harbour.

Thank you for listening
/R.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
But on the flip side, what happens when the newer member comes along who, let's say works for DOW and had has evidence of a dangerous chemical that has been purchased by the military. How would he gain access to RATS without first being here enough to be recognized? He would have to be confirmed by a super-mod then granted access I suppose. If I remember correctly do we not already have a whistle blower protocol in place already to to get an investigation started?
Perhaps ATS needs to get the whistle blower protocol out there more so newer members who need to share can know there is a way to tell their story safely. This may be the key to getting RATS flowing again.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

Uhm, yeah but as the standards are today, that person still would have to write a number of posts.
If someone was to blow the whistle at ATS, it might as well be blown in any of the forums.
IMHO

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thinly-veiled ''Look at me, I have a high number of applauses from moderators'' thread, IMHO.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Thinly-veiled ''Look at me, I have a high number of applauses from moderators'' thread, IMHO.

Believe it or not some people actually enjoy this website and want to come up with ideas to help make it that bit better..

This is, IMO, a pretty good idea. Everyone can built a post count on ATS after all and they obviously don't equal quality contribution. Applause's on the other hand are earned, and they're supposed to be earned specifically through quality contributions. So I think adding an applause limit to RATS, or maybe a flags and stars limit as well, would be nothing but a step forward and It would hopefully bring more quality to that forum.

Just my 2 cents of course..

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Eh, it is not veiled at all, dear sir/ma'am.

I am very proud of the applauses I've earned and a very easy way to see if a member is contributing or just posting for the heck of it is to see how many of them they've earned.
It is as simple as that.
This thread however, does not aim to boast any personal pride, if that is what you thought.

If members understood the meaning behind the applause-award and tried to gain some, they'd be doing ATS a great favour in making this place a more refined site for alternative topics rather than some kindergarten for trolls and goblins.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
As you can see I have been a member for a long while now although I often neglect the site for long periods of time. I noticed that I couldn't get on to the RATS forum and that's why I'm here now.
I remember back in the day I posted everyday in order to get enough credits so that i could enter RATS. I think it was something like 5000 credits for a months entrance.
I remember I wasn't too impressed when I entered it, and not long after the site became public.

I think there should be something similar again. I propose that the RATS forum be processed by moderators daily and select threads should be vaulted into a RRATS forum.

Btw If you do do this, can I have access

To clarify, New threads can't be made in RRATS
edit on 30-10-2011 by anitawee because: needed to

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Its a good idea.. Im not sure if I would get in though I only got five applauses

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Hey buddy!

Long time no speak!

I like the idea but I feel it will drive further wedges between people, like this WATS contributor thingo.

People will have a sad if there was an "exclusive" forum for what could be described as the Moderators "favourites", since applauses are given out by mods.

Just my 2c

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
It sounds like a form of elitism to me.

To have a proper debate you should hear the unpopular opinions as well as the applauded.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

It's clearly not about banishing unwanted or "unpopular" opinions or anything like that. It's supposed to be about helping to create at least 1 board on ATS that's (hopefully) full of quality content and at the same time completely free of trolls, shills and just in general those members who don't contribute anything at all here.

Sure, I can understand why some might not think It's a good idea, but personally I think it's something that can work well and It's something that would only help bring in more quality posting which can only be a good thing really. And who knows, It might act like an added incentive for others to contribute more on other forums in order to gain access to RATS also..

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

If you limit your input in such a way you'll find that the conversation will stagnate. Picking out a select group of people based on a criteria that is whimsical at best is a sad idea. I was once applauded for posting a response that could be summed up as; "simpsons did it". Now to be fair the thread was in skunkworks and about a zombie apocalypse started by a burger made from a cow that ate other cow, and indeed the simpson's had in fact done this, but the point should be taken. Maybe it made the mod laugh. I've always hoped that it did.

I've earned other applause for good posts, I consider them well earned but I did not write them with the intention of garnering brownie points. When I sit down and make a good post it's because I wish to express my opinion. Should my opinion be wholly unpopular I would expect to not receive applause.

The above points are my problem with this system. The door would only be open to people who pander to what the mods want. I expect some like to be rewarded and I commend them for doing it well.

But...

I don't like the idea of a merit system being used to decide who may or may not post in select privileged forums. I again state this sounds like elitism to me.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Picking out a select group of people based on a criteria that is whimsical at best is a sad idea.

The whole purpose of applauds, on the whole, is to give credit to a member for a quality contribution to the website.. hardly a whimsical system or a sad idea really. It's to help promote quality..

Sure It's not a perfect system, but there is no perfect system. Thinking there is one is pretty naive, so the example you gave is kind of moot really. I've been applauded for not so worthy comments in the past as well but on the whole I like to think any applause received was for a genuine contribution in the eyes of the person giving the applause.

I'd hazard a guess and say the majority of applause's handed out to members by the Mods are also for genuine contributions to the board..

I've earned other applause for good posts, I consider them well earned but I did not write them with the intention of garnering brownie points. When I sit down and make a good post it's because I wish to express my opinion. Should my opinion be wholly unpopular I would expect to not receive applause.

1.) I can't imagine anyone writes solely for the purpose of gaining applauds.

2.) When I, or anyone else, posts It's for the purpose of sharing an opinion..

3.) To be honest when you say you don't expect to receive an applause for an unpopular idea.. You're just making stuff up to try and back up your argument here - I know that I for one have received applause's for what would be considered "unpopular ideas" in the past. And I know others have as well.

Having an applause limit wouldn't dampen specific ideas, ideologies, views, opinions etc. anymore than the current limit does. If anything it would, IMO, create a forum that has by far less troll posts in it and by far less content that contributes nothing to the discussion. Sure you'll still come across posts that aren't contributing but that's just the way it is, but on the whole the content would be much better if there was some sort of limit in place for RATS.

I don't like the idea of a merit system being used to decide who may or may not post in select privileged forums. I again state this sounds like elitism to me.

This is just one forum you know. The "Really Above Top Secret" forum. It already has a limit in place (200 posts to enter). However, I think Raud is right in that an applause limit would be better (or any other system like that) for that forum as opposed to a mere posting limit which would only help bring in quality and stop trolling on a small scale. If we want to make RATS a forum worth visiting, then there should be a new measure in place in my opinion.. Because right now It's not really worth visiting at all.

This is all about making ATS a better website and I think a new system for that forum is needed. It's supposed to be the ReallyAboveTopSecret forum.. but right now It's no different than any other.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Sure It's not a perfect system, but there is no perfect system. Thinking there is one is pretty naive

Never claimed any perfect system existed, please don't call me naive.

3.) To be honest when you say you don't expect to receive an applause for an unpopular idea.. You're just making stuff up to try and back up your argument here - I know that I for one have received applause's for what would be considered "unpopular ideas" in the past. And I know others have as well.

I stand by my opinion. I don't think any post I make that went against the views shared by a majority of the forum users would ever be applauded. Should this ever be contradicted I will retract that statement, but I've seen no evidence to the contrary. This is not "made up" it's my opinion. It is an opinion I have formed based on my experiences. Your experience may be very different.

This is all about making ATS a better website and I think a new system for that forum is needed. It's supposed to be the ReallyAboveTopSecret forum.. but right now It's no different than any other.

This is something that really has to be done at the user level. If you separate the "good" posters from the "bad" you will lose the ability for new people to learn what might be expected of them. If we want to see the forum become a better place we need to be more welcoming and help our fellow contributes.

Rats is not visible to the public or the web crawlers. This was done by design to allow the users to post stuff they might consider sensitive. While I feel that the quality of rats has declined since I've been here I don't think this is the answer.

If you take the good posts and threads out of the public view and put them in a forum that is not accessible you will be lowering the common denominator. The posts that should be popular will become hidden and the front of the site may be left with nothing but troll threads and shock value.

I understand what the op was trying to do, but I think this would backfire and harm the site more then it would help.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anitawee

Yes you are right, it was required to pay with points to be able to post in that forum, I personally never been in RATS but browsed once encouraged by a mod.

Still it didn't motivate me to post or spend the points to belong to it.

Now I guess with the reviews here I never will. Sad that many feel the forum has gone down in quality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join