It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Snowstorm Eastern US - Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York State This Weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hi All,

Just a quick heads up for a pretty major snow strom (for Autumn) for regions around Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York State.

With the upper temperatures not being extremely cold, but marginal, the snow that falls will be quite wet, however, wet snow is sticky snow, and wet snow is heavy snow. Its expected that there could be up to 20 cm's in places over the coming weekend so pleae bear in mind that there is a possiblility of damage to electricity wires, roofs, telephone wires etc due to the weight of the wet snow.

As far as snow events go, this would be quite a bad one in winter, let alone at the tail end of October so all of you out and about this weekend in these regions, take care and watch out for damage appearing on roofs etc.

And please be aware that wet snow freezing can lead to very dangerous conditions on the road and under foot.

Link

edit on 28/10/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
in connecticut, most trees still have their leaves, the extra weight could be a major problem

this could be very bad

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Time to bust out the snow shovels!

But it does seem a bit early, a little too early for snow.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
in connecticut, most trees still have their leaves, the extra weight could be a major problem

this could be very bad

I wouldnt imagine it will be anything of significance within about 100 miles of the coast as the ocean will still have a slight impact. But with that in mind it all depends how deep the cold canadian airmass gets.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
Time to bust out the snow shovels!

But it does seem a bit early, a little too early for snow.

Its not totally uncommon, especially for the northern states but hearing the words "snow event" and "October" does have a rather strange ring to it...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is going to be worse than hurricane Irene was as far as power outages and just the mess to clean up afterward. I'm in NH and already have snow on the ground, and we have about 30% of the leaves are still left on most trees. This is really going to suck!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hopefully the Carolinas are safe from the white stuff. Been drizzling all day, and since yesterday this time the temp has dropped almost 30 degrees. Good luck to you guys up north and stay warm.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Hi all,i'm here on Long Island the local weather people say the snow will mainly stay North and West of the city.Parts of Jersey is suppose to see action too.They say maybe up to a foot in some areas.The City and Island will be spared..............THANK GOODNESS,CAUSE I'M NOT TRYIN' TO SEE THAT CRAP YET!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I suppose this weekend will be the first major test for the OWS camps in the path of it. When the snow is down and things are bad, will ALL the members of the camp throw in and work to clear and support the whole, or will only some of the Protesters work on their own area while the chronically homeless and criminal element hanging out to leech off the movement just sit there and watch? If the latter DOES happen, will some of the camps finally find the inner strength to throw the dead wood and bums out of camp entirely?

I think the answers to those questions will go a very long way to how much, IF ANY, further support a curious public feels they want to give. The first test coming right up....are they up for it? We shall see in the next few days. I hope they come out well...but I'm just not sure after some of what is coming out and happening in the past few days.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
While it does threaten to interfere with my Halloween plans, growing up we often had snow by this time of year. I remember in the early 90's being weirded out when it was in the 70's the first weekend in November because that was unheard of at the time.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Already been done:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

we are doomed, we are doomed, the sky is falling.

a weekend storm is easy, just hope the power stays on for the football games.

remember where the shovels are, stock up on food, and nature is beautyful in it's own way.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So isn't this a normal thing for this time of year? I know I should be more kind in my thoughts, but my first reaction was big deal, you live in an area that gets snow.. you should be used to and prepared for such things.

We got our first snow a few days ago here along the front range of Colorado. And of course it was wet and heavy and there are trees down all over the place, it's a mess. Power was out, heck they still had school cancelled for a couple of schools because they don't have power back up yet. Big deal.. it's Colorado and to be expected. Stay calm.. don't panic.. it's almost winter.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I grew up in the mountains of VA (1970s to 80s) and only ONCE do I remember snow in October. We had some cold winters (lakes actually froze enough for skating) but this is still VERY early for snow.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Hi All,

Just a quick heads up for a pretty major snow strom (for Autumn) for regions around Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York State.

With the upper temperatures not being extremely cold, but marginal, the snow that falls will be quite wet, however, wet snow is sticky snow, and wet snow is heavy snow. Its expected that there could be up to 20 cm's in places over the coming weekend so pleae bear in mind that there is a possiblility of damage to electricity wires, roofs, telephone wires etc due to the weight of the wet snow.

As far as snow events go, this would be quite a bad one in winter, let alone at the tail end of October so all of you out and about this weekend in these regions, take care and watch out for damage appearing on roofs etc.

And please be aware that wet snow freezing can lead to very dangerous conditions on the road and under foot.

Link

My sister lives in CT and she is flying out of New York tomorrow morning to come visit the family for a week. I hope she makes it out of there before the storm hits!

She was telling me today this is a very rare storm for October on the east coast.

www.weather.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So it's not normal to have to plan your costumes so they fit over your snow pants/suits? LMAO I am still trying to figure out how to fit zombie costumes over my kids snow suits/pants/coats. Do zombies wear gloves?
We have about 8" in our front yard, my mom across town has about a foot or more in hers and we are just along the front range of Colorado.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

this could be very bad

I wouldnt imagine it will be anything of significance within about 100 miles of the coast as the ocean will still have a slight impact. But with that in mind it all depends how deep the cold canadian airmass gets.

local estimates are 4 - 8 inches, and the town did a mass auto message warning to say prepare for 2-3 days without power

I hope you are right, I am still traumatized from last winter, I work outside

ugh

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
So isn't this a normal thing for this time of year? I know I should be more kind in my thoughts, but my first reaction was big deal, you live in an area that gets snow.. you should be used to and prepared for such things.

We got our first snow a few days ago here along the front range of Colorado. And of course it was wet and heavy and there are trees down all over the place, it's a mess. Power was out, heck they still had school cancelled for a couple of schools because they don't have power back up yet. Big deal.. it's Colorado and to be expected. Stay calm.. don't panic.. it's almost winter.

NO

I have lived here my whole life, and I can't recall ever having to scrape ice off of my windshield....with leaves in it !!!

snow before halloween is extremely rare if not downright unprecedented

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Already been done:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join