It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

buddhism the logical choice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Why is buddhism the logical choice

Because it is the only religion that attempts to solve the riddle of life through rational and empirical evidence as opposed to dogmas and in that sense it is not even a religion but a philosophy and as a philosophy beats out materialism.

While other religions teach about dogmas and revelation, buddhism teaches through observation.

Buddhism beats out materialism because the goal of materialism is pleasure, so since nirvana is the highest bliss materialism must aim for this goal otherwise it falls short of the highest.

Rather than putting faith in a savior, buddhism is a method of teaching that is based on observations and so can be reduplicated as modern science demands of sound theories. The proof of buddhism is found in the alleviation of suffering and peace of mind that comes with knowing the absolute truth, namely that the world is carried on by a codependent origination defined by suffering, with negative karma coming from the ego which is merely a composites of aggregates, namely form, feelings, perceptions, experience, and consciousness, which does not have a basis in reality and is illusion, maya, which causes suffering and death. Only through the knowledge that self is an aggregate can immortality be realized as the shinning Self within.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I am not any religion myself, however Buddhism seems to mirror much of my own thinking.

I like it!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i definitely agree. Buddhism, taoism, hinduism, all eschew dogma in favor of personal enlightenment. They are the path to self actualization, and as you say, use conscious expansion and cultivation of wisdom, compassion, and humanity, in order to help us grow to be the best people we can be. They embrace all facets of humanity instead of forcing us to close of or deny sides of ourselves, and help us instead learn to control our reactions to those impulses. All other religions, mainstream wise, focus on promising material provision, and neglect compassion and wisdom.

Interestingly though, while the mainstream forms of religions focus on control and indoctrination, and seem to be locked into war with each other....each of those religions also has a mystical sect, for jews the qabbala, for christians the gnostics, and for islam the dervishes or sufis, which all agree with each other, and which also all very closely resemble taoist, buddhist and hindu practice and belief.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Most modern western followers of buddhism fall into this category : FOLLOWERS OF RELIGIONS MY PARENTS DONT LIKE

Too many Westerners have picked up on Buddhism as the cliche way to be different from the Western God personification.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Verily! The only thing that I have against Buddhism though, is the teaching of true pacifism. While nonaggression is certainly logical, absolute pacifism only leads to more destructive people gaining more control over the world, and hence, more suffering on the whole. Of course, if everybody were to practice pacifism, the world would be a wonderful place. However, like you said, Buddhism is the logical choice. Not many people are prone to acting on logic though.
I've always said that if every person in the world except one were pacifists, that one person would rule the Earth with an iron fist.

edit on 28-10-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Buddhism is not the logical choice per say. Each person has certain beliefs, and if one were to rush into something with little understanding, they might trip and fall on the path. This can lead to incredible frustration.

Before you say "Buddhism is best," answer yourself the question WHY is it the best? And HOW does it fit with your existing understanding of the world?

When I came to Buddhism, I was a Christian of many years. Surprisingly, many of my preexisting beliefs were congruent with Buddhism. But others may not be in that same situation.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Gautama Buddha

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
buddhism / taoism are the only beliefs that seem to deal with the practicalities of life. I really like the four noble truths and the Nobel Eightfold Path.

Seems to ring true to me.

Also karma seems to concur with scientific causality.

+ There is no need to worship any false gods.

edit on 28-10-2011 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Sounds like a biography you're about to write?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The biggest problem with Buddhism is that it maintains a fundamental acceptance of reincarnation as a fact, and derives much of its philosophy from that belief. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never seen where reincarnation has been proven, and therefore any system of beliefs with that as a cornerstone is horribly flawed in my book.

Another thing that really bugs me about Buddhism is how it has developed into a system of pretty rigid symbols and prayers and so on. I'm also surprised at how many Buddhists are essentially violent and aggressive when it comes to defending their belief system, the Eight-Fold Path and all that. Something the Buddha would have probably laughed at.

I'd say that Confucianism is a better way to go, although Confucius thought authority figures like your parents and the Emperor should be honored even if they don't really deserve it.

Still, how about if we just agree to try and be nicer to one another? No prayers. No temple. No Eight-Fold Path. Just basic niceness. But I guess there's no money in that, huh?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

You may be interested in R.E. Sherman's latest book Buddha & Jesus.
www.amazon.com...

"R. E. Sherman, author and authority on comparative religion, has released his latest, must-have book, Buddha & Jesus: Could Solomon Be the Missing Link?.

Why does Buddhism, an eastern religion, resonate with many westerners? Did Buddha create it by blending the practices of an eastern religion, Jainism, with the ethics of a western one, Judaism? Few people realize that the first colony of Jews settled in India when Buddha was born. Perhaps he interacted with one of these settlers? If true, this would explain numerous similarities between the teachings of Jesus (AD 30) and Buddha (525 BC). Perhaps each was significantly influenced by a mutual predecessor, Solomon (950 BC)?"

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Empiricism is just one school of thought. But there is a lot of philosophy not based off of "empirical evidence". Go read Descartes, the "Father of Modern Philosophy", who advocated against using our senses to know anything - ie, all we know we know through the mind, and not through what we feel and observe. So I guess Buddhism would make the most sense if you buy into the fact that everything we know can be observed and experienced. Personally, I do not believe that everything is able to be empirically known. I think many things can be, but that the divine cannot be. That does not mean that I don't agree with the values Buddhism teaches, because I do agree with them, but in the end, I am a theist, because I believe in a higher being that cannot be explained through my experiences.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I believe in reincarnation, even relived the last two hours of my last lifetime, so although I only have my own answers, they seem to back up that fact for me personally.

*shrug*

I never understood why some people do and some do not have such experiences.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Most of our philosophy is derived from the wish to be free from cyclic existence, and to give others love and compassion, not reincarnation. If you choose to believe in karma, reincarnation, etc., you may feel free to do so. But a more beneficial reincarnation is not the goal of Buddhism, nor has it ever been.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
The biggest problem with Buddhism is that it maintains a fundamental acceptance of reincarnation as a fact, and derives much of its philosophy from that belief. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never seen where reincarnation has been proven, and therefore any system of beliefs with that as a cornerstone is horribly flawed in my book.

Since when did belief nee proof.

Another thing that really bugs me about Buddhism is how it has developed into a system of pretty rigid symbols and prayers and so on. I'm also surprised at how many Buddhists are essentially violent and aggressive when it comes to defending their belief system.

Totaly untrue

the Eight-Fold Path and all that.

Why don't you give them a read and then comment on their validity.

No prayers (mental evacuation). No temple. Just basic niceness.(and truth)

That about sums it up.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I disagree OP. I will never label myself to any religion but my own, and i believe everyone should do the same.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
My problem is I know I'm more than a not-nothing, although I cannot say who and what I am.

What I like about Christianity, is the full on unconditional acceptance of the person as they are, combined with the inspiration to become the very best of the best of who and what they REALLY are, all within a familial framework of the brotherhood of man. It's like the icing on the Buddhist cake, imho.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah...so...uhm...So lemme get this straight. In Christianity i am saved thru Faith alone and thru Faith I can do anything, even change a heart of stone to one of compassion and acceptance for those who don't share my views. In Buddhism I can medidate for for hours on end, try to live compassionately, hope to reach enlightenment, if not then i'll get it right next life or the next. when i finally do attain enlightenment i can finally reach the state of nothingness having nothing left to cling to.
Hmmmmm......
I'm taking Salvation by Grace thru Faith in the Perfect Sacrifice and I'm gonna choose Eternal Life over nothingness/oblivion. Juss Sayin...
I am glad that you are comfortable in your chosen Faith as it is your right. God Bless!!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Of all religions, the Christian should of course inspire the most tolerance, but until now Christians have been the most intolerant of all men.

Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in Eternal awareness or Pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.

I am very fond of truth, but not at all of martyrdom.

edit on 28-10-2011 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Yes I would say it is "logical".

But logic is perceived through our intellect, and I would say the cebrebral/intellect is not
the only way.

Gurdjieff taught that traditional paths to spiritual enlightenment followed one of three ways: The Way of the fakir The fakir works to obtain mastery of the attention (self-mastery) through struggles with the physical body involving difficult physical exercises and postures. The Way of the monk The monk (or nun) works to obtain the same mastery of the attention (self-mastery) through struggle with the affections, in the domain, as we say, of the heart, which has been emphasized in the west, and come to be known as the way of faith due to its practice particularly by Catholic religious. The Way of the yogi The yogi works to obtain the same mastery of the attention (as before: 'self mastery') through struggle with mental habits and capabilities. Gurdjieff insisted that these paths - although they may intend to seek to produce a fully developed human being - tended in actuality to cultivate certain faculties at the expense of others. The goal of religion, the goal of spirituality was, in fact, to produce a well-balanced, responsive and sane human being capable of dealing with all manner of eventualities that life may present to them. Traditional methods as such generally failed to achieve this end. Gurdjieff therefore made it clear that it was necessary to cultivate a way that integrated and combined the traditional three ways. Gurdjieff saw himself as being one who presented such a teaching.

Fourth Way

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rom12345

Im not intolerant to anyone except bullies. I have a special place in me heart for bullies....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join