It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Called Police Hours Before Murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I was just reading through local news websites and I came across this story from last week. It left me feeling extremely angry, but also very sad as this could have been prevented.

There are two major issues that I see in this article and someting needs to be done about it. How to go about that I have no clue but someting needs to change to prevent things like this from happening.

Family members say the latest victim of domestic violence was worried about her safety and had called police just hours her body was found in a pool of blood inside her Coon Rapids apartment

According to investigators, Courteau called Coon Rapids police on Thursday morning to say her boyfriend, Benton, had been drinking and was scaring her. Officers took Benton away and cited him for trespassing, but police said he came back to her apartment later that day and stabbed her to death.

This woman, fearing for her life called police and asked them for help. What did she get? Stabbed to death...

This brings us to our first issue. The police failing this woman in their duty to serve and protect. It is clear to me that the police no longer care enough to do their jobs properly. This man has a long record of violence and had served time for it before. Yet they do nothing to really ensure this womans safety from him.

Benton has a long rap sheet, and served 75 days in jail in April for assaulting his roommate. He also served time in prison for violating a protection order in another case.

This now brings us to our second issue. Our so called corrections facilities. They do nothing to correct anyone. If anything they make the people who are sent there worse by the time they are set free into society. Most of them then end up doing the same thing they were arrested for in the first place or worse and then are sent back for another round of "Corrections"

This issue reminds me of an episode of Gangland I watched on the History channel awhile back. Somewhere in California I can't remember the name of the prison. But they had it set up in the prison with various "territories" for various gangs that were there.

How is that helping anything? Its not, its making people worse. Is that the plan? Send our criminals to facilities and make them worse? Set them free and let them murder innocent people? There is so much wrong with this picture that it makes me want to scream.

How can this be changed? Is it the fault of the facilities with situations like the one I saw on Gangland? Can criminals actually be "corrected" or do we need to go medieval on thier a$$es?

www.myfoxtwincities.com...

www.history.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

This is sad.
However, The police couldn't have kept him locked up forever for being drunk.
If he killed her then, he would have killed her after he got out.
I don't think the police have much to do with this.
They might have been able to delay it, but not stop it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's not the job of police to protect you or anyone. The SCOTUS has ruled this to be true.

Restraining orders cannot and do not save lives.

If you're in an abusive relationship, being stalked or otherwise harassed the only person who can help you is you.

Take defense of your life seriously. It is of very literal life and death importance you do so. Never count on any outside actor be it police, family, friends or Superman to do it for you because they will not and they cannot.

It sucks what happened to this woman. It sucks that people will routinely rely on police protection of their lives to such an extent they will take few if any measures to protect themselves.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

This is sad.
However, The police couldn't have kept him locked up forever for being drunk.
If he killed her then, he would have killed her after he got out.
I don't think the police have much to do with this.
They might have been able to delay it, but not stop it.

While that may be true they could have assigned someone to keep an eye on her. If someone is fearing for their life that is the least they could do.

Cases like this need to be taken seriously when when the first call is made so that they don't get a second call saying that the person who wanted help hours ago is dead.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
It's not the job of police to protect you or anyone. The SCOTUS has ruled this to be true.

Restraining orders cannot and do not save lives.

If you're in an abusive relationship, being stalked or otherwise harassed the only person who can help you is you.

Take defense of your life seriously. It is of very literal life and death importance you do so. Never count on any outside actor be it police, family, friends or Superman to do it for you because they will not and they cannot.

It sucks what happened to this woman. It sucks that people will routinely rely on police protection of their lives to such an extent they will take few if any measures to protect themselves.

I see your point here but some people are not capable for whatever reason of protecting themselves. This lady obviously wasn't or she wouldnt be dead right now. While protecting someone might not be a written part of their job discription, It should be apart of them as a person. People call the police for help...Help should be given.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It was a very unfortunate situation that this happened to this women but like someone else pointed out, this guy was focused on killing her. It could have been that same day or a week later. Personally, I believe every woman (or man) should know some type of self defense and have a weapon at home. Preferably a gun.

The sad story of this whole thing is that they probably had a relationship where she took him back after domestic abuse. Abusers dont understand the word "NO" after the woman has taken him back dozens of times. Its a vicious cycle that ends up in this type of case scenario.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I keep trying to tell people like this, forget calling the police, call a biker. Bikers can and will protect you, police can and will do nothing. A simple visit with a tire iron and some brass knuckles could've prevented this.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucantcme

While that may be true they could have assigned someone to keep an eye on her. If someone is fearing for their life that is the least they could do.
On what grounds?

Tragic? yes. But did she go down to the police station, and file a restraining order?
There is no way for me (or anyone) to know exactly all that went down. Even though her fears were obviously justifiable, she must have not even been so sure of that herself, or she wouldn't have remained at home, defenseless and alone.

On the other hand, when he was released, I do feel that the police should have been obligated to call her, and let her know that he was being released.... Maybe they did?

Cases like this need to be taken seriously when when the first call is made so that they don't get a second call saying that the person who wanted help hours ago is dead.

A double-edged sword. Scaring someone is not a crime. Even if it was, it would be extremely hard(if not impossible) to prove. Also, many people would be claiming it, for no other reason than to create a hassle for the person, whom they are accusing.

P.S. Point #2:
Sadly, I agree completely, but I honestly do not even have a guess at what would need to be done, in order to change this fact. Most (not all) people do not leave prison as a reformed and better person. Many seem to come out as being re-formed into a more violent person.

re-formed, but not reformed.
edit on 10/27/11 by BrokenCircles because: P.S.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Let me guess your bikers are scary looking and have the 1%er type manifestation. That scares the hell out of alot of people. There is a club that does just what you are talking about there called Bikers Against Child Abuse
You can call upon them at anytime of the night or day. BACA link

If you have difficulty in finding a contact for your local chapter or need information you can give us a call at our toll free information number 1-866-71-ABUSE and we’ll have someone get in touch with you.

edit on 27/10/11 by Arkansas because: added baca number

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkansas

Nah, my friend founded a motor cycle "club" in the 70s that's now more than 300 members strong. When 300 Harley's come to see you, it doesn't matter how scary they look, you behave.
They are pretty scary, and they would make sure someone like him was never found. They offer their services for free to friends and for money to strangers. They're definitely not 1%ers, they're real bikers.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Not everyone has resources like a close friendship with a club or a standup friend that would go to there aid.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
It was a very unfortunate situation that this happened to this women but like someone else pointed out, this guy was focused on killing her. It could have been that same day or a week later. Personally, I believe every woman (or man) should know some type of self defense and have a weapon at home. Preferably a gun.

The sad story of this whole thing is that they probably had a relationship where she took him back after domestic abuse. Abusers dont understand the word "NO" after the woman has taken him back dozens of times. Its a vicious cycle that ends up in this type of case scenario.

There wasn't enough details to know any of that for sure. If there was abuse the family would have said something about it when they made a comment for the article. Who knows though.

I agree with you on the self defense issue but as I pointed out before some people are incapable of defending themselves. All I'm saying is that this situation could have been handled differently and maybe could have been prevented.
edit on 27-10-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

On what grounds?

Tragic? yes. But did she go down to the police station, and file a restraining order?
There is no way for me (or anyone) to know exactly all that went down. Even though her fears were obviously justifiable, she must have not even been so sure of that herself, or she wouldn't have remained at home, defenseless and alone.

On the other hand, when he was released, I do feel that the police should have been obligated to call her, and let her know that he was being released.... Maybe they did?

A double-edged sword. Scaring someone is not a crime. Even if it was, it would be extremely hard(if not impossible) to prove. Also, many people would be claiming it, for no other reason than to create a hassle for the person, whom they are accusing.

P.S. Point #2:
Sadly, I agree completely, but I honestly do not even have a guess at what would need to be done, in order to change this fact. Most (not all) people do not leave prison as a reformed and better person. Many seem to come out as being re-formed into a more violent person.

re-formed, but not reformed.
edit on 10/27/11 by BrokenCircles because: P.S.

On the grounds that her life was in danger should be enough.

Thats true there wasn't enough detail to know for sure what all went down. I just feel like a little more effort from the police that responded to her call and this wouldn't have happened. However like someone else pointed out if he was dead set on killing her it may have only delayed it.

You are right about the double-edged situation as well. Too many people cry wolf. That is also a problem in itself.

For point 2, I know what you are saying. I feel like nothing will actually work even if they did try to change it but who knows maybe there is some system out there that could work. It just hasn't been thought of yet.

top topics

join