It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which version of the 1911 pistol should I purchase?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
So it appears that there are several different versions of the weapon in question.

Which one should I purchase for myself and why?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by InformationAccount

Neither. What the f@ck do you need a gun for? In the case of protection, it shouldn't matter what colour size or shape it is.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
None.
It's cool to shoot and more cool historically...but there are better pistols on the market.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Anything by Les Baer.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Get a Springfield Armory if you're set on a 1911. Anything more than a GI will work.

Buy it from a Davidsons dealer.

Double lifetime guarantee.

And for what it's worth, I like the Springfield XD-45, never getting rid of this one.

ETA; The XD-45 is a more comfortable gun to shoot (LOUD though) and also TWICE the ammo in one clip 13+1 as compared to 7 +1(if you're badass enough to tote cocked-n-locked lol) My best advice would be to go shoot some different ones at a range.

I had the 1911 TRP also had a Glock .40, a Tanfoglio 45, Taurus .40 others can't remember.

Just my two cents worth.
edit on 27-10-2011 by rbnhd76 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-10-2011 by rbnhd76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Get a Kimber Warrior. It's fantastic. The sights are great. It's very well constructed. And it's very accurate.

Also, have you seen this before?
www.thefirearmblog.com...

A 1911 carbine kit. I'd love to try one out if they ever become available.

edit on 27-10-2011 by allenidaho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
There's actually lots of manufacturers making them. My dad has three of them; a Rock island Arms .45acp, a STI in 9mm and a Para Ordnance in .45acp. They all shoot great and none are high end models. He has had to replace main springs on several and an extractor on one. We have shot 1000's of rounds through all of them. I have a cop friend that sold all his Glocks and bought 1911's. They are basically the standard in handguns. Take down most other semi auto pistols and you will see that they are at least roughly based on the 1911. I don't know if there is a "better" pistol on the market, but probably ones that are as good. I have read about people shooting 1000"s of rounds through Glocks without even cleaning them, though I will admit that we don't don't shoot FMJ ammo through the 1911's- that makes a difference, but I don't see that being possible with a 1911. They do have an external safety, a grip safety and most, if not all, will not shoot without a magazine in them. They are also single action and I have had one of the 3(Para) fire when I released the slide by releasing it from all the way back. Needless to say, single action triggers can be pretty light. My dad has a personal dislike of plastic frame pistols, but I'm not quite as picky. If I wasn't going buy a 1911, I'd go for the Rock Island for price alone. They are no frills mil spec. The Para Ordnance and STI are slightly better made and the STI came with adjustable sights. They also cost $100 -200 more. Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat and STI make some amazing firearms costing $1000 and up to over $4k- WAY out of my price range. I also really like a lot of Rugers for non 1911's. They are very high quality, I have shot several different models and all worked flawlessly. Everyone that I know that owns one likes them. They're not flashy or fancy, but they work. Some reloading manuals have recipes listed as "Ruger only" for revolvers- they are higher power loads. In my opinion Kimber make the most overrated 1911's. I have a couple friends that own them and them say they jam all the time. A reputable local gunsmith told me he works on lots of them. They just don't justify the price. The gunsmith btw, is a big fan of STI guns. You're also going to find that most 1911's don't have double stack mags and they're usually 8+1. If you looking for higher capacity, prepare for sticker shock, or buy a different gun. You're going to find though, that everyone has their own subjective opinion regarding handguns.
edit on 27-10-2011 by thefurryone because: can't spell

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
THIS

Originally posted by rbnhd76
Get a Springfield Armory if you're set on a 1911. Anything more than a GI will work.

I'm personally gifting a SA TRP operator to myself for Christmas , I'm currently running a Colt Commander XSE... I picked it up from a friend for $600 earlier in the year, for the price it was a no brainer.

I'm a fan of 1911's but my go to .45 is my Beretta PX4.

There are 4 pistols a man should have in his safe.

Ruger MKIII
Glock 17/19
S&W Model 629

Anything else in uncivilized

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thefurryone

I know Para makes some HAWGS that are 14+1...but they feel like gripping a chalkboard eraser..lol
If I needed the firepower I'd go with a Glock 21SF or Springfield XD45 , they're both 13+1. If I had to choose between the three , I'd chose the Glock because of the muscle memory invested in them. There really isn't a wrong choice though , whatever works for you.

To the OP
My only advice is the fact that many people like the way 1911's point naturally and they like the bore axis of the pistol , and many people don't like the grip angle of the Glock. I grew up on Glock's so I personally don't have a problem with them.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Honestly, the best 1911 for the money is Taurus PT 1911. I own one and have had zero issues with it, I probably drop 250-400 rounds down range a month with it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
There are many good makers of 1911s out there.

It seems everyone is joining in the fun:
Taurus 1911:
www.taurususa.com...

Ruger SR1911:
www.ruger.com...

S & W 1911, Colt 1911 so forth and so on.

I think you get the idea.

Just get the one you think is best.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I just bought my first 1911 this year. I spent five years trying different makes and series and sizes and saving cash.

Eventually I decided on a full size Smith and Wesson 1911. The trigger was consistency crisp and clean and it felt very balanced in my hand.

So far in about 1200 rounds no issues have come up.

Try a bunch. As many as you can. And don't settle for a shortened guide rod.

More than anything your budget will dictate what you end up getting.

edit on 27-10-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

What is it to do for you? Home protection, carry, competition, collection, etc.?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Do not get a Compact 1911. Get the real deal in a .45acp. Don't go with the 9mm conversion. The .45 shoots just as straight and accurately, with a lot more knockdown power.

I had a Springfield 1911, and it is the best gun I have ever owned!!

If I had an extra $1k-$2k, I would get a Kimber, but I am on more of a $600 Springfield budget, LOL!

I have a friend that is a gun smith, and he says any 1911 (full-size) is a great buy, and even the most cheap brands and most abused guns can be polished up and made to shoot straight and reliably. It is the AK of hand guns, LOL!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Price comes into play:

$400-- RIA makes a decent one
over $1000 --- Can't beat the custom Springfields
anything by S&W is a safe bet
get one with either 4" or 4.5" barrel
the officers version is a little smaller and to me loses it beauty.

Most important feature in my Opinion--

Lanyard ring..

is it a SHTF gun?
a toy to play with?

don't listen to people who say there are better guns...bluh..

the 1911 is awesome, will fire when dirty, muddy, wet, cold..

every gun nut has/had/wants one..why??

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrenchOsage
None.
It's cool to shoot and more cool historically...but there are better pistols on the market.

You're crazy! There is nothing better on the market. I've owned and shot just about everything, and depending on your personal circumstance, there may be more convenient guns. I carry a .380 for convenience, but it isn't a better gun, it is just more convenient. Some people like Glocks, but I've never shot one that I cared for at all. Some people like gadgets, and gadgets are fun, but they don't make the gun better.

Nope. Hands down, without a doubt, the 1911 is the best shooting, most accurate, most reliable 45 caliber on the market.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
THIS

Originally posted by rbnhd76

I'm personally gifting a SA TRP operator to myself for Christmas , I'm currently running a Colt Commander XSE... I picked it up from a friend for $600 earlier in the year, for the price it was a no brainer.

I'm a fan of 1911's but my go to .45 is my Beretta PX4.

Ruger MKIII
Glock 17/19
S&W Model 629

I'd say make it a fiver.

the model 19 S&W .357 mag is THE civilized choice.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Ruger MKIII
Glock 17/19
S&W Model 629

You can't go wrong with most of the models posted on your thread. I myself would love to get my hands on a ruger SR1911..
As to the S&W 629, fine weapon, but I like the Ruger Redhawk. For the price, just a better deal. To each their own, shop around try someone 1911 and see for yourself which one you would like. I think the Rock Island is a good choice as well.
Good luck and good hunting..

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I mean this question is a broad as posting a picture of a red truck and saying what kind should I buy. How much do you wanna spend? Are you using it for home defense, concealed carry, target shooting, or just to have something that goes boom to show your buddies. If you want something small Springfield makes some good compacts and subcompacts. Target gun I'd go with a kimber or Les Baer (just shot one this weekend...nicest gun I've ever shot). If your looking for one for home defense just get whatever you personally like and can afford, although if you have little experience with defensive shooting I wouldnt recommend a handgun, or maybe not even a gun at all
.....but in the end its all up to what your looking for.

top topics

join