It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.3 Earthquake in Mt.Shasta, North of Truckee, CA.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRamblinRose

Thanks for the heads up. Semi-active AM in the Bay Area as well. 3.6 in Berkley (same location as the two shakers we got last week), as well as another "odd ball" south of the city (minor, but usually an inactive spot)...

Didn't see the Shasta data this AM, so that post IS HELPFUL! thanks.

And: to the gentleman who thinks we shouldn't discuss quakes lower than a six...a few comments:

1) there are literally 15 quakes a day in the SF area we NEVER discuss on here (I.e. All quakes at the Geysers, CA for geological reasons i won't get into here)

2) what we do comment on and SHOULD comment on are quakes in a location or a magnitude that is "not normal" on a weekly or monthly basis. The OP's quake fits that bill.

3) certain faults matter more than others. Berkley is a big deal to us in the Bay Area....that fault can produce very big quakes...we watch it like a hawk...the OP's quake observation is helpful to those who watch this particularly active area

4) bigger than a 6? Really? Have you been in a 6? Not all quakes are created equal....and a 6 at the right depth, on the right fault, and certain other variables is one HECK of a baseline.....sorry....just my humble opinion.

We'll keep our eyes on the data here in SF. Be well, everyone!!!
edit on 27-10-2011 by SFWatcher because: Modified Berkley mag to 3.6, typing on iPhone

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lighterside
reply to post by MrRamblinRose

Now, if there was some tie in to the possibility of Mt. Shasta waking up, that would be interesting. I understand it's dormant now... so that would be some news.

Side note: Mt. Shasta is amazing beautiful.

Agreed

I lived in Shasta County from 2005-2010. Amazing place for sure (Redding is one hot freakin' place in the summer however). My daily drive included driving Hwy 44 from Shingletown (where I lived 4000ft elv) to Redding and back, On those trips I could see Mt Lassen in my review mirror and Mt Shasta out my windshield (to the right) within moments of each-other, and the reverse on my way home. Anyways, there is a seismic center inside Lassen Park. I am heading up tomorrow night to winterize a few things, I will check out the readings, post what I find there.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRamblinRose
Just felt the aftershock in Lake Tahoe, CA. Link not the big one yet.
edit on 27-10-2011 by MrRamblinRose because: (no reason given)

EDIT: it seems now its been downgraded to 4.8.

edit on 27-10-2011 by MrRamblinRose because: Punctuation.

Shook the bed here in Grass Valley as well...
following it when I can...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
49 is the back route to Reno during storms as it does not get closed like Donner pass.

True, I live less than a mile off 49

It does occasionally get very messy between Camptonville and Bassets/Sierra City however...
(I just rode by the location of this earthquake just a week ago on my motorcycle)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by outandopen
reply to post by Lighterside

Wow maybe we should start a branch of government to censor these silly posts!

Don't troll, stay on point.

The point I make is valid, even the OP seems to agree, though we disagree on the number. OP says under 4.5, I say under 6. Either way, I'm sure no one on ATS wants the forums flooded with every recorded EQ.

Nothing silly about respectfully sharing opinions.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
OP, you may consider changing the headline (if you still can). Mt. Shasta is much farther north than the epicenter. The nearest volcano would be Lassen, but even Lassen isn't that close to the epicenter.
Posting that it's near Mt. Shasta, made me (and possibly many others), think the earthquake was in an entirely different location.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

I apologize, data can be innacurate when it is first posted. I posted it last night and i dont believe it can be changed, but i will change the post accordingly.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Thank you, was going to post the same thing. This earthquake was nowhere near Mt. Shasta. I live about 60 miles (as the crow flies) from the epicenter and felt it. It was like the whole house was being jerked to the side.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join