It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street - The performers of the OWS movement... Immortal Technique, Tom Morello & More

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
So.. Several artists and rappers have been performing at the various "Occupy" movements and none of it is being reported.

It's great to see bands, artists and so on coming out to support and entertain the protesters.

I haven't seen the MSM reporting on this so thought I would compile a small selection of what's being going on and who's been performing.

Here's just a small selection of who's been there and what they've done.

If you have any others, Please add them

Immortal Technique

Johnny 5 of the Flobots

Sean Lennon, Rufus Wainwright et al.

Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine)

Boots Riley (From The Coup)

Sarah Lee Guthrie

Michael Franti

One Tribe Nation

edit on 26/10/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Wow that's great, eventually people will see past the filter of the news and see this is a real honest to goodness popular uprising.

Will it work? Probably not but at least they are trying something instead of just complaining.

Hopefully having these artists out showing support will help keep the protestors both occupied and content. As evidenced from many of the videos I've seen there are elements within each protest attempting to incite violence, causing damage, and justifying the police crackdown surely to follow.

This is more than spoiled "trust fund" kids demanding a free ride. With that, what "trust fund" kid would want the system allowing them to live a privileged life on the backs of everyone else, want to change anything?

Military, doctors, Nurses, teachers, workers, unions, even political parties are involved. The green party of Canada, while not directly supporting this or involved, has showed some support and even endorsed having your voice heard on their facebook site.

Great videos, I don't like most of those artists at all but I surely respect them more than I did before.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Wow look at these musicians, Maybe they should look their bank accounts and give back to the poor if they are that serious but I doubt that would ever happen. hypocrisy at its best. Immortal is probably the only one that has some credit if you look at what he has done. The rest... probably have great relationships with their bank managers.
edit on 26-10-2011 by OzTruth because: typo etc...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzTruth
Wow look at these musicians, Maybe they should look their bank accounts and give back to the poor if they are that serious but I doubt that would ever happen. hypocrisy at its best. Immortal is probably the only one that has some credit if you look at what he has done. The rest... probably have great relationships with their bank managers.

They're not hypocrites for having money off their own work. What are you? An old school communist? Equality for all regardless of their efforts? Come on... the half that works for their stuff deserve more than the other who does nothing and expect that the working half should sustain them...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OzTruth

Well, maybe they are entitled to their 10% (generous estimate!) of royalties for all their hard work and dedication through the years. You know, starting out as a nobody, working their way up slowly, honing their skills. I can guarantee you the record corps and governments made far more than any artist ever did.

When was the last time you were on the road for several months at a time, living in #ty hotels and out of a suitcase? I think you focus too mu8ch on their success and not enough on the hard work it took them to get where they are today. You do know for instance that Tom Morello is Rage Against The Machine's guitarist right? Their message has always been clear and consistent, even when they hit the "Big Time". Could you imagine a Star like any posted above being a neighbour of yours? The queues of adoring fans and nutjobs too, all stalking and waiting to catch a glimpse or an autograph or maybe a lock of hair.

I won't even mention Hollywood Accounting...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Maybe they should look their bank accounts and give back to the poor if they are that serious

So you know how much these guys make and what they do with their money? I'd bet that they donate to charities and do more good with their riches than either you or I. But neither you or I actually know what they do with their money or how much money they actually have so why bother making speculation in such a negative manner?

But what I do know is that Tom Morello came to Occupy Vancouver and gave away free tickets to his show to a bunch of people who don't have money to pay for shows like that. ! Sounds charitable enough to me...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
Wow that's great, eventually people will see past the filter of the news and see this is a real honest to goodness popular uprising.

Exactly, I'm thankful for youtube and social media in times like this, otherwise the truth would not get out.

Military, doctors, Nurses, teachers, workers, unions, even political parties are involved. The green party of Canada, while not directly supporting this or involved, has showed some support and even endorsed having your voice heard on their facebook site.

Great videos, I don't like most of those artists at all but I surely respect them more than I did before.

Exactly, many, many groups and organisations are starting to speak out and lend their support for this movement and It's a very good thing.

I think the actual artists and music is essentially irrelevant, just the fact that some people are throwing their weight and support behind it and are willing to entertain the protesters, it's a good thing.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

This isn't about rich or poor.... it's about GREED and CORRUPTION.
It's about seeing the governments and big banks in bed together and standing up and saying enough is enough.

When you actually get a clue... come back and talk ok?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Nice to see musicians involved in social movements. And speaking of social movements, I think the OWS is the last of the old world protest type movements were going to see. The next major social movement will be unity based. 99% is still not whole and as result is doomed to eventual extinction. Any us versus them movement can only be temporary.

But I give credit to anyone who are willing to put their lives out there for what they believe.

99% is close, but it still doesn't give the world what it wants. Whether it's 50 - 50, or 99 -1, it's still a conflict -based movement and as such will never survive for any appreciable length of time.

Having said that, I'm not discounting what is going on. It's old world tactics, but for that matter, a LOT of people are still in the old world mindset.

There is a change coming and it will surprise a lot of people. A quantum adjustment in consciousness is already in the making. Whether it takes a year, or ten years or more, it's already begun and there is no stopping it.

What we're seeing with OWS is the end of one mindset and beginning of another.

top topics

join