It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sky Was On Fire!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm currently at the 45th Parallel in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. As I was driving home from work tonight at 9:30 EST, the sky filled with Northern Lights so bright and so spectacular I could have been in Norway.

To the west, red streaks, thinly separated by hues of orange, came down from the top of the sky to the horizon. To the north and north-east, blues and greens painted the skies in a display the likes of which I have never seen. I have seen them before - 20 years ago, right here in Michigan - but it was nothing like this. Words fail to describe how beautiful it was.

I raced home to get my camera out. I had no doubt I'd be able to capture it and share it with you all; the sky was so bright it was almost twilight. But alas, as I neared town the display began to dim, and by the time I got home it was gone altogether. I'll keep poking my head out tonight to see if they return, and if they do I'll be sure to video it.

We must have been hit with a massive burst from the Sun. Does anyone have any idea what caused the most beautiful natural phenomenon I have ever seen?
edit on 10/24/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

If only you had taken a picture.
If it's as amazing as you say, I doubt words do it justice, aye?

Regardless, perhaps google images can help you find something similar for you to share with us? Until then, I am not exactly sure WHAT it was.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

A CME hit at about 2pm Eastern Daylight Time. It's all over the internet now.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Damn light pollution

I cant see anything, doubt i'de get them here anyways, but it would be so nice to see.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Tonight around the same time frame, I saw something that looked really similar to northern lights as well. I'm located in Central Southern Wisconsin. It was fleeting, didn't last very long, cool though.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nurv47
reply to post by OldCorp

If only you had taken a picture.
If it's as amazing as you say, I doubt words do it justice, aye?

Regardless, perhaps google images can help you find something similar for you to share with us? Until then, I am not exactly sure WHAT it was.

It looked like this to the west, straight streaks.

And this to the north, and north-east.

It was awesome. I feel really small right now.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Yeah, apparently a CME hit. Lots of people have seen the same lights... I wish I could have seen them.

I will go pout

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I believe the Aurora is a phenomenon caused by the Earth's magnetic field. That's why it is more visible closer to the Earth's poles. I'd love to see it sight myself, but that's a rare sight where I live. If I ever see it this close to the equator I'll know that the SHTF.

Northern Lights Visible as Far South as Kentucky

edit on 24-10-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Hello Old Buddy.
Looks like we were hit with a nice geomagnetic storm registering a 6.33 on the Kip index. Being at the 45th parallel you’re probably around the Gaylord area. I’m hovering at the 41st. We had a nice display but I am sure not as spectacular as yours. Looks like it was a simple M class flare but haven’t determined that conclusively. I was enjoying the show earlier with a wonderful bourbon.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

yep it's been reported on, and it's all over the Net. It's pretty cool like always.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

post removed, realized the photo's where examples.

To the east and west where 2 blood red spots, just huge, and in the middle of all that, from horizon to zenith and even a little further, was white dancing streaks.
edit on 24-10-2011 by quantumdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by quantumdragon

A previous poster asked me to Google for images similar to what we saw. I didn't take those, I just chose representative photographs.

edit on 10/24/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I realized and was editing my post above, sorry.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BioSafe
reply to post by OldCorp

Hello Old Buddy.
Looks like we were hit with a nice geomagnetic storm registering a 6.33 on the Kip index. Being at the 45th parallel you’re probably around the Gaylord area. I’m hovering at the 41st. We had a nice display but I am sure not as spectacular as yours. Looks like it was a simple M class flare but haven’t determined that conclusively. I was enjoying the show earlier with a wonderful bourbon.

Directly east of Gaylord, on Lake Huron.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

That red spot I saw to the west was maybe almost directly above you then?

Maybe not, hell of a show regardless.

Even my 78 year old grandma said she has never seen northern lights this intense in Michigan in her life.
edit on 25-10-2011 by quantumdragon because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2011 by quantumdragon because: sp

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by OldCorp

Pics or........ Nah I believe it big time coming from you.

Quoting a post you haven't read yet.

If it came from me? maybe not, but I wouldn't have cared. It was amazing
edit on 25-10-2011 by quantumdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

its my dream to see these lights befor i die you lucky people

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I think he was posting pics he found online to represent what it looked like to him, not actual pics from tonight which he took himself.
2nd line

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Pics or........ Nah I believe it big time coming from you. But a vid would be awesome. I have never seen them.
So I hope you come up stud. Thanks for trying.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by BioSafe
reply to post by OldCorp

Hello Old Buddy.

How about that. (must be near Alpena) Ill be in your neck of the woods this coming June for a week of R&R and hopefully some good fishing on Drummond Island.
Keep looking up. Too many folk only look at their toes
edit on 25-10-2011 by BioSafe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I wish I could've seen it. I got a place near Mio. I'm headed there this weekend. Too bad I wasn't up there all this week.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join