It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrogant Americans!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

Originally posted by Affirmative Reaction
Geeze, how many of these little children does one have to put up with in one day....

Hay there, I'm not complaining about having to argue with apes like yourself okay?
Keep your shirt on.

so what you are now saying is that if we chose to debate something that you do not wholey agree on then we are all apes..?!

you should be a politician... they are very much into close minded opinions and insults when they cannot think of a logical defense for an arguement.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto

so what you are now saying is that if we chose to debate something that you do not wholey agree on then we are all apes..?!

No I was joking about his avatar, but it's okay.
Noone expected you to get it.

you should be a politician... they are very much into close minded opinions and insults when they cannot think of a logical defense for an arguement.

Thanks, I'll consider it.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have NOTHING against American people,
I only feel sorry for them sometimes...when I see how their leaders gain their trust...by pretending to do good, but they only do evil...
An American will never realise this unless he/she is born in another country or culture...
Then they would really see what's wrong with the USA...

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Geeze, how many of these little children does one have to put up with in one day....

Hay there, I'm not complaining about having to argue with apes like yourself okay?
Keep your shirt on.

No I was joking about his avatar, but it's okay.
Noone expected you to get it.

You have referred to 'PEOPLE' you argued with on this thread, not one individual, if that were the case, you would have stated that...

You are have an ability to spout comments without thinking and then truely believe that what you saying is correct and anyone who opposes what you say as wrong... kinda reminds me of those Muslim extremists who murder the innocent due to that what they had been informed about by the 'Clerics' without reading the religious material themselves.. . but let me guess... nobody expected us to 'get' what the muslim extremist were on about..... right?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Italiano
I only feel sorry for them sometimes...when I see how their leaders gain their trust...by pretending to do good, but they only do evil...

Well...this can apply to every country, past and present....look at Italy - need I say more than Mussolini??

An American will never realise this unless he/she is born in another country or culture...
Then they would really see what's wrong with the USA...

A lot of people who live in America know this country has serious leadership problems - it doesn't take being born elsewhere to fully understand this, although I do understand what you mean by your comment....I lived in Germany for three years got a full taste of Europe and have been dissatisfied with American culture ever since I returned...almost 10 years ago...

In regards to the original post...Some Americans are born arrogant and others have to try really hard to become arrogant, and yet others realize this fallacy early on and try to avoid being seen as such...I guess it just comes with terrirtory to sometimes be a little too "in your face" - some people handle it better than others and some are so generous in their thoughts and actions that they rarely show it....but if anything, I would say that subconsciously, our arrogance is self-reflexive...not projected toward the international community...

[edit on 8/31/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

[edit on 8/31/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Please don't take what these people have said as how the average European thinks... we are not all Arrogant or Ignorant enough to make comments before we read our thread contribution. Many Europeans can think logically, outside of the box and with continuity.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thx Klepto,
We didn't know that yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Keep your shirt on.

Grab your ears and pull until you hear a pop....

If you would read the posts before you go off half cocked, you would see that I was replying to "redalert" who was posting way off topic in "your thread". I was not calling you a child.

However, it seems you are sensitive on that subject...hmmmmm.....wonder why?

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I find it amazing that people who do not live in the united states seem to think they know everything about whats going on and seem think they are experts on the psychological mindset that general population has...

You have liberals in Europe, you have conservatives in europe...
I think you should be smart enough to understand they do not always reflect what the general population thinks and feels, rather they do a better job of playing on people's emotion to get a reaction and backing...

Election time is one of the biggest times in the year where they do this.
As if they don't do it in Europe, if your news stations are spewing anti american rhetoric and your eating it up, then I don't think you can be retardant...
Rather, i'd make the assumption that you are a sponge, listen to what you want to hear, and then go around regurgitating all the bs that have been pumped into your head.

LIke you said, you've never been here, you don't know the sense of community, you don't understand the mindset that americans have about political parties, politicians, what they do, ect... Sure they get all hyped up around election time and they get their emotions toyed with so that these parties get a reaction and support, it's manipulation, some people can identify some can't, but I wouldn't paint everybody with the same brush like you are and other people in europe are...

I understand a difference of opinion, but you haven't stated any...

[edit on 31-8-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It's hard to be humble when you're the best.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
don't even try to explain this to Jakko... I have worn down the keys on my keyboard in the attempt to help him comprehend that which he is obviously not able to..

...to top it off, Jakko probably still is under the impression that I am an American due to my view point differing to that which had been stated by him...

[edit on 31/8/04 by Klepto]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I have no problem with Americans being proud of who they are... they should be. Your nationality is part of who you are as an individual, it's what defines you. Take my Canadian nationality away from me and I lose a part of who I am. So Americans should be proud. Plus, the ideals that built America are fundamentally good.

What I can't stand... and this is not ALL Americans. This is SOME Americans... is the smugness. Some Americans like to be smug about their superiority, and this is what angers other countries. Let me give examples...

- In the "The Olympics are over" thread, someone posted that "Once again, America proved its domination over the world in sports." And lucky we were in Athens and not in Atlanta, where networks were surprised at one point to learn that there were athletes from *other* nations competing in the games.

- I'm sick and tired that often when I post about politics in the U.S., there's one or two posters who will say that my opinion comes from a country which has "the power of a gnat" and "lives on the U.S.'s defense budget", so bottom line is I should just shut up and be grateful...

Again, I respect Americans very much - my girlfriend is one - and I salute the fact Americans are proud of their accomplishments. The attitude I hate comes from SOME Americans, as well as some media, who are intent to show other countries that they are worth less than nothing compared to the powerful USA...

End of rant.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

What BT omits from his diatribe is that the Dems did the same thing with their, "Help is on the way" dung and the like. Yes, help to pay more taxes, to include 50 cents more a gallon for gas, help in the form of a government juggernaut twice as large with twice the red tape is on the way...

Of course, not for at least another 4 1/2 years...Kerry is self destructing as we post.....

AR, I've been spoiling for that fight on a daily basis; I'm armed with the latest government reports on unemployment, consumer spending being down, the stock markets being down, the situation deteriorating in all theaters that we're engaged in, job growth ending in a big net loss for his term - a first ever, why they are growing government by creating "Czars" and departments and untold levels of Chiefs - going far away from their small government credo and growing government dramatically over the Clinton administration, why in HELL HAVE RUMSFELD & RICE NOT BEEN FIRED yet, ....all of these things. But, alas, all the Right wants to provide in the way of proof on this administration's "catastrophic success" is either how they'll save us from terror or how Kerry has a bunch of Republican GOP Vietnam vets out for his hide & thus can't be a real CINC.
You're actually happy with that stall from your team? Wouldn't you want a line by line comparison?
As for the conventions: neither were needed and it's an antiquated carry over from an era past in American politics.
But "Help is On the Way" is a far cry from a mind screw message of scaring people as a way of re-election that tempers it in saying you're "so corageous".

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
affirmative reaction:
"Besides being a TOTALLY off topic post, you are wrong. Do a little research before you make stupid statements like this. President Bush had more electoral votes, which is the way the President is elected in this country. When you finally enter the sixth grade, you will have classes in Civics which will teach you about our system of government.

Gore lost, get over it....

Geeze, how many of these little children does one have to put up with in one day.... "

-----

good grief.

hey, i know you guys get all huffy when someone disses yer idol (dubya), but lighten up there guy before you blow a gasket!

and, if you would have read my post, i did not mention "electoral" votes... i said "total" votes, as in total quantity of votes cast, as in popular vote, of which, your boy lost. get over it.

maybe you need to repeat the sixth grade... again, and especially pay close attention in the english language class, and it might help to keep a dictionary or thesaurus close at hand.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
What I can't stand... and this is not ALL Americans. This is SOME Americans... is the smugness. Some Americans like to be smug about their superiority, and this is what angers other countries. Let me give examples...

- In the "The Olympics are over" thread, someone posted that "Once again, America proved its domination over the world in sports." And lucky we were in Athens and not in Atlanta, where networks were surprised at one point to learn that there were athletes from *other* nations competing in the games.

HAHAHA - that was me

But if you go back, you'll notice I was being sarcastic and poking fun at myself and others like me who are overtly patriotic. So calm down about that one buddy, I mean no disrespect.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I just watched some of the speeches on the convention, by Mccain and all, and what really shocked me was that loads of the people in the audience had this "NATION OF COURAGE" banner in their hands.
Wtf is up with these Americans???

I tried to picture such a situation in my own country (netherlands) and I can assure you, it would never ever happen over here.
Even if people in the netherlands would think their leader has shown a lot of courage, labelling yourself as a nation of courage is just stupid.
Almost as stupid as the "whoever gets humans on mars first wins" contest.

Please save your assurances for someone else.....I have lived in Europe for almost 15 years (on and off) and I have been to Amsterdam, Rotterdam and many small villages in between.

You and your landsmen should get over your hate towards the Germans
before you even think of flamming Americans! You guys are next to the French in your arrogance and I personally wish the Germans would have kept your Country after WWII!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Mad Man - It's quite alright. I guess on the web it's sometimes hard to understand what other people's intentions are.

I'll never deny that Americans have it pretty good. The only thing is... those few among you who feel it necessary to make other nations feel ashamed of not being America are doing a disservice to your nation as a whole.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soul Reaper

I just watched some of the speeches on the convention, by Mccain and all, and what really shocked me was that loads of the people in the audience had this "NATION OF COURAGE" banner in their hands.
Wtf is up with these Americans???

I tried to picture such a situation in my own country (netherlands) and I can assure you, it would never ever happen over here.
Even if people in the netherlands would think their leader has shown a lot of courage, labelling yourself as a nation of courage is just stupid.
Almost as stupid as the "whoever gets humans on mars first wins" contest.

Please save your assurances for someone else.....I have lived in Europe for almost 15 years (on and off) and I have been to Amsterdam, Rotterdam and many small villages in between.

You and your landsmen should get over your hate towards the Germans
before you even think of flamming Americans! You guys are next to the French in your arrogance and I personally wish the Germans would have kept your Country after WWII!

ooooooohhhhhh dems fightin wurdz!

I agree with very little that Jakko has said but now I think it has definitly overstepped the mark from being a heated debate to a level we need to steer clear of.

Stating that you wish the germans kept the country after WWII is probably a heated reaction... don't however find yourself doing what Jakko does and attack a whole country for the few misgivings...

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
ooooooohhhhhh dems fightin wurdz!

I agree with very little that Jakko has said but now I think it has definitly overstepped the mark from being a heated debate to a level we need to steer clear of.

Stating that you wish the germans kept the country after WWII is probably a heated reaction... don't however find yourself doing what Jakko does and attack a whole country for the few misgivings...

You are correct in that I over-reacted, but the statement is correct in content. You can't Imagine how many times I have been given the finger or
cut off while driving in Holland and France just because I have German
license plates on my car.

My wife is a 30 year German and has nothing to do with what happened
in World War II. Europeans are so proud of the fact that they are more
tolerant and civilized that Americans, I for one can not see that in France
or Holland and this persons statement just justifies what I have always
seen (since I've lived here).

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Soul Reaper - Alas, the history between France and Germany is going to take a while to forget. People can be petty because of bad memories, and I understand Germans being frustrated by the fact that they're too often associated with what happened during the Third Reich. Just as I imagine a lot of French must be frustrated at always being branded as defeatists because of what happened in June 1940.

It takes a lot of courage to recognize that the Germans are more than that and that the French are more than that. And that the Americans are not all the smug, self-centered nationalists they're imagined as.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join