It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem viewing YouTube video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ubuntu 11.04
Firefox 7.0.1
Abobe Flash latest and greatest

Recent problem, happens on about 80% of attempts. When I try to view a YT, either imbed or not, the YT box will turn black with a small white dot in the center, I can dimly see the status/control buttons and timer along the bottom, but no display ever occurs.....just that annoying white dot on a black background. It's like the video is ready to launch, just waiting for that starters pistol to go off.

Any ideas?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Depending on your browser. I will assume you are not using any script or flash blockers in your browser. I have to disable mine before I can view any flash. Aside from that my browser just recently had to go though a quick update because mine wouldn't pay correctly. Now all is well. You may check to see you have the most up to date flash in your browser. connection speeds can also mess with it as can actualy connection issues including routers.
O yea and I do use Ubuntu/Firefox/ and Windows XP

DH
edit on 21-10-2011 by DavidsHope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

How married are you to ubuntu?

While you are thinking about that. All is not lost. It is fairly easy to purge and re-install flash-plugin using apt. I will look out for your reply. Otherwise, take it easy.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Depending on your browser. I will assume you are not using any script or flash blockers in your browser. I have to disable mine before I can view any flash. Aside from that my browser just recently had to go though a quick update because mine wouldn't pay correctly. Now all is well. You may check to see you have the most up to date flash in your browser. connection speeds can also mess with it as can actualy connection issues including routers.
O yea and I do use Ubuntu/Firefox/ and Windows XP

Nope, no flash blockers, and all is up to date; already checked.

Oh, give me XP any day of the week....

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

How married are you to ubuntu?

While you are thinking about that. All is not lost. It is fairly easy to purge and re-install flash-plugin using apt. I will look out for your reply. Otherwise, take it easy.

Pretty well invested at this point.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Do you have any experience using apt from the command line? From there you can use apt to purge flash and then re-install it. That is the only real suggestion I have for you. There are instructions on the ubuntu forums. So ubuntu is installed on the machine? You are not running it live?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Do you have any experience using apt from the command line? From there you can use apt to purge flash and then re-install it. That is the only real suggestion I have for you. There are instructions on the ubuntu forums. So ubuntu is installed on the machine? You are not running it live?

Yes, I've used apt-get often, I prefer using cli instead of a gui any day. And we installed Ubuntu on the machine when we physically built it. Running it live? You mean, is this a netbook? No, it isn't.

I used apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras when t/s since that holds the flash.

When I checked the flash version, there was a site which said it would "check" the flash also. It said all was fine but I suppose there is no harm in getting a clean reload AGAIN, no? Only takes a minute...

Thanks for your suggestion.
edit on 22-10-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join