It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens to Iraq next? And should we care?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yay! We're leaving Iraq. 2 months and it'll all be over.
We have Turkey edging towards northern Iraq, Iran right across the border rattling their sabres.. . . .

Anyone want to guess how long Iraq stays Iraq?

Remember when it was a war for oil? (yeah, those prices really sank!)

Now we're leaving. *whew*
My question is, what are we leaving? And to whom are we leaving it to?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Back to the age old struggle between Sunnis and Shiites, Kurdish battling for the northern region and Iran covertly trying to gain more influence and control in Iraq as a whole.

There will be violence and bloodshed, but ultimately these disputes will have to be settled one way or the other... Among Iraqis alone.

Maybe one day, Iraq will be divided up into Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish states and peace will come and last.

If Iran, the west and Israel can keep their noses out of it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm sure we will be back, there is too much going on right now
it all has to end, violently.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm gonna go with "No, I really don't care" in response to the subject line. I think we should focus on our own country, for once.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

If the extremists are too busy killing each other, maybe they'll leave the west alone.

And we can finally get rid of the TSA . . -sorry- I choked on the TSA bit.

Hey!

Maybe they'll get rid of the Patriot Act!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wlord

They (Iraqi's) don't want us there, we don't want us there, I hope you're wrong.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by beezzer

I'm gonna go with "No, I really don't care" in response to the subject line. I think we should focus on our own country, for once.

Agreed.
Let me ask, if we aren't fighting, do you think we'll need TSA/Patriot Act anymore?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Since I strongly believe we should never have entered Iraq in the first place, the fact we are now leaving is bitter sweet. On one hand, it is sweet because no more American boys and girls will die in sands half way around the Planet for someone's sense of conquer and conquest back home in Washington.

It's bitter because we have now officially repeated Vietnam. Iraq doesn't have to fall to the enemy we fought there to be a complete, unmitigated disaster. No, it's enough that we've left the nation in worse shape than it was when we came along, and aside from the killing of 3 men (Saddam Hussein and his kids) we have accomplished absolutely nothing of measurable and lasting importance. The 'importance' of killing those 3 can even be debated since we learned later, they actually posed no threat at all to the United States and were running a bluff on their neighbors by claiming they had WMD in the first place.

So..... All those dead and several times as many wounded in ways that will effect the rest of their lives. Almost all has psychological issues from the mild to the wild. This was for what??

Should we care.. No. I personally don't care at all. This is a region that had been fighting for a thousand years before George Washington was even born and will be fighting until the end of everyone there, or time itself...whichever comes first.

Now I suppose I would applaud them if they stepped up and handled their own matters and future...but they have been sucking U.S. welfare for years. Like kicking a chronic welfare case off the rolls, they will like falter and then collapse into a security nightmare fairly quickly, I'm thinking.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

My apologies I thought you were interested in a serious, truthful answer.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Excellent point. An one echoed by many servicemen.

The sense of accomplishment just isn't there. And with a region that has been at war for centuries, that sense will probably never be there.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by beezzer

My apologies I thought you were interested in a serious, truthful answer.

I was. The mind drifted towards the more inane policies in America because of this war. Forgive my flippancy.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here is the sad reality you must all face.

Iraqis are your future customer service phone representatives.

And they will be willing to help you fix your broken ____.

And people will hate their accents.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
As everyone has heard here.
Official: Obama announced U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq VIDEO
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wish Iraq the best, I hope there kid's get GOOD schooling,
medical care, nice roads to drive on, a middle class and they can have
an election process, be a real ruby in the dust pit of the middle east.

Iraq as history has shown at least will more then likely turn back into a
rouge nation with another dictator as the vacuum will be filled with muslim fanatics
after America leaves.

America did what it could, now it is up to Iraq will they make it?
I SURE hope so.
Most likely not.
edit on 21-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Here is the sad reality you must all face.

Iraqis are your future customer service phone representatives.

And they will be willing to help you fix your broken ____.

And people will hate their accents.
If that's the worst that happens then it'll be a good thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

How long do you think Iraq will last as an existing country?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The Iraqis refused to sign a SOFA agreement. The Pentagon would never assign so many Service members to a place that is constrained to Sharia law.

www.nationaljournal.com...

“Ironically, a war launched, at least in part, to bring democracy and political freedom to Iraq will now come to an end precisely because of the free expression of those opinions. Iraqis from all backgrounds and beliefs wanted U.S. troops to leave. Come Dec. 31, for better or for worse, they’ll get their wish.”

But as stated before, I believe we will be back before to long. I give it ten years tops. What can I say...I'm a optimus.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This could be a bad thing......all these troops coming home and being at the whim of our bloodthirsty government could lead to another war. With all this crap going on with Iran, Turkey, and countries in asia like china and north korea....this could free up some of our fighting forces for our next pointless war.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I wasn't aware of the SOFA there. Tht definitely put the time limit in motion.

SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) Kind of a long-term lease agreement for US armed forces in foreign countries.
-for the folks who don't know.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Apollo44

Well, with all the troops coming home and getting out, what will that do to the unemployment numbers?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

I agree. They've been fighting over barren deserts and dead dinosaurs for years, let them fight it out and then take the oil after the dust settles. I'm tired of my country trying to help a bunch of people that can't stop fighting. We help the one that lies well, and then they stab us and everyone else in the back that trusted them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join