It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Greed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am having an argument on facebook right now about greed. My argument is that greed is a concept that humans have created. Their argument is that greed is a basic animal instinct. However, I am having trouble finding an animal that is truly greedy. Are animals greedy? Because from what I can tell, they eat what they need, to satisfy themselves, then they move on. I don't see them hoarding stockpiles of food, other then their needs for survival during a the winter, but that is not greed, that is simply survival. So what is greed? Is it apart of the human condition, or is it apart of the natural order? If it is human, then greed is simply a concept created by humans, which can be changed if we didn't live in a monetary system. If it is natural, then the raping of our planets resources is completely normal, and we should just relax and go with the flow until there is nothing left, after all, thats natural. So which is it?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
another troll thread

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

What does that mean? I am seriously wondering what people think of this. Is it not a valid question?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Greed is in our DNA so to speak. Do you have to teach your children to take or share? I’m guessing the majority of people have to teach their kids how to share with others.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Gee let's see . You can work a computer , you joined ATS and you seem to understand the T and C. but you don't know what greed is . OK.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I've done research on my own, and I have my own stand in this arguement, I am wondering what others think. What is so wrong about asking the opinion of other people? Isn't that the entire point of this site?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Greed can be associated in a person having a personality disorder .

www.zimbio.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

My thought is that greed is identity. It's a method to separate our self from others.

Of course, you want to be BETTER than others, not just different.

When you're better, you live better. You're in control.

When we lose control, we're vulnerable. We become weak.

But different is better than nothing at all. Sameness is our enemy.

Sameness means you're just a screw, like any other screw: Powerless.

To do this you need freedom. Freedom allows us to separate ourselves.

Basically, our instinct is to desire control so that we're not vulnerable. This desire is greed.
edit on 21-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What is greed?

"Greed is... good."

Well, it worked for Gordon Gecko, anyway.**

Mike

**Not that I subscribe to what he says, but seeing as you asked, I thought I'd present it for discussion.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

I've done research on my own, and I have my own stand in this arguement, I am wondering what others think. What is so wrong about asking the opinion of other people? Isn't that the entire point of this site?

Nothing at all wrong with asking questions. Only greedy people belittle you or tell you to shutup. They like to think that they are better or more knowledgeable than others.

That is how greed is born. It begins with children comparing what they have with what others have. And if a child who has something better "rubs it in", then a sensitive child may begin a response pattern that associates having better things than others as a sign of accomplishment.

Of course others will try to "out do" each other and that race of rats can only lead to never ending cycle of more and more "greed."

He who dies with the most toys wins?
King of the Hill?
The GOLDEN RULE?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

greed is taking more than you need.
animals take what they need, so this disorder is human society based.

the primitive emotion of jalousy, wanting others to envy us, so we can glory in their misery.

also, owning more atracks the human moths, like the shiny sport car and the bimbos.
so greed helps you get the high maintenance bimbos, it's probably a primitive part of the sex drive.
edit on 21-10-2011 by citizen6511 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Having money insures your future. It gives your children a head start. It protects you from bad turns. It's the new kind of survival of the fittest. It's not lions and bears: it's financial debt.

It's all about controlling your fate and not letting others control it for you.

If anything at all, greedy people have a control complex. They're paranoid of being vulnerable.
edit on 21-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Greed also goes beyond monetary isssues. Now some people may think there is a selfish gene because it is our nature to survive and since other animals arent exactly preserving the life of other animals, nature could be looked at as selfish. Im not trying to mix up selfishness and greed, but more so that greed is likely excessive selfishness, and im using excessive loosely because defining what is necessary isnt consistent.

Greed may bring some people the kind of happiness they want at the expense that others are accessing much less to none of the possesions you have. So imo, that pursuit of happiness is natural. Is everyone not greedy or selfish to a degree? The problem is defining what is excessive and necessary for what.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
So is greed completely natural then? From the people I've asked, just about everyone has said greed is completely natural, and that all animals are very greedy.

Personally, I've never seen a greedy animal, so I cannot accept this.

I see greed as a completely human concept, greed is born because we put a value on things. If those things didn't have that value, and were still in abundance, I don't think people would be greedy. But if all animals are very greedy things, then there is no fighting the nature of greed. It is an ingrained natural trait that is in everything. So the raping of the resources on this planet, is completely normal. Why should we fight nature?

From now on when I go to a party, I'm going to take a garbage bag, and load all the little appetizers into it and take them home with me. When someone asks me what the hell I'm doing, I'm going to say I'm using my natural instincts, I enjoy these appetizers, I got to them first, they're mine. Then I might sell some of those appetizers back depending on what people will give me. I am going to start learning to use my natural traits more, because I want to be in touch with nature.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
For me greed is simply a means to power, or a display of power.

I think animals vary considerably, but in more social animals one finds the same.The more powerful male lion takes more than his share of food, territory and lionesses.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

What Is Greed?

Take a look around you my friend. Pull your android or iphone out of your pocket. Look at your shoes. Look at the unemployed. Look at the sick. Look at those that are enslaved to debtors.

We Americans are the product of greed, and now we are seeing why greed is considered by the religious to be a deadly sin.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

And since the religious movements in America are so well associated world-wide with the greed they preach against, they should definitely know a thing or two about the topic of greed!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by illuminatislave

And since the religious movements in America are so well associated world-wide with the greed they preach against, they should definitely know a thing or two about the topic of greed!

amen my friend, amen!!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I honestly think this subject needs to be looked into. It seems like a very touchy subject to most people. I really don't believe greed is a natural instinct. I have never seen animals as greedy before. Humans, yes, we are destroying our planet because of greed.... I don't see animals destroying our planet.

I think I will do a study on greed, and it will take me a long time to complete, but I would very much like to prove that greed is a human concept and not apart of the natural order.

top topics

join