It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sewer drains and foxholes, what is the common denominator?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Gaddaffi and Hussein!

I want to bring up an obvious correlation between American involved wars (Sorry I meant UN)
led occupations and the capturing of the nation's leaders. Is there a subconcious trigger that the war powers are trying to convey to the masses by finding "bad guys" in HOLES in the ground?

Could this be either a subliminal message to the sheeple that you can run but you can't hide or is this a precursor to the conditions that they'll be in directly after they are found for instance in a pine box 6' under pushin daisies?

fox hole

sewer s

So what is the message that they are trying to convey here? Or just coincidence.... Don't really know....
but from here on out I'll be hiding in plain sight because it seems if you hide in any subterranian orifice I.E fox holes or sewers you are gonna DIE!!!!!

Does anyone else know of any other conflicts the U.S has driven the Leader of opposing parties underground and were found then later executed? If so, were there any found underground and NOT executed? I am trying to find a ratio of probability that underground dwelling constitutes death in the war scene.

Heck look at the average suburban American and his plight to rid the world of moles coupled with the western ranchers and the hunting of prairie dogs! LOL. If you really wanna go deep in the satire lets bust out the earth dwelling peopleDwarves in mystical german mountains

edit on 21-10-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

The american people have no control over these decisions. The votes are rigged, the media is rigged and people are so stupid they can't comprehend anything other than whats said on the TV.

It's truly a terrible day for humanity.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Hmm? All you said was true in a sense but what does that have to do with the thread?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

What does this have to do with your post?

Everything!

Information is cool, I read it all.

Think anyone else will?

LOL!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Ya know... you may be right
I kinda feel like you and I are kinda havin fun with my thread.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Interesting. And are we to believe that he was all alone crawling into a sewer pipe? Where were loyal members of his army? This makes no sense at all..

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Ummmmmm.... Hitler, I.E.: WWII?

Does that count?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Yes, there is a common thread to it.

It's the portrayal of these guys as cowards ("they ran and hid in a stinking hole!) and as a sort of comparison to vermin (as rats and such tend to live in these holes, too.)

Note the term used for Saddam's hideout was "spiderhole." What the hell is a "spiderhole?" Has this term EVER been used outside of reference to Saddam Hussein? No. it's a propaganda term - it's a hole. He was hiding. The term "spider" is meant to convey both a variety of unpleasant vermin, and as an allusion to the accusation that he was a secret mastermind of the insurrection, "like a spider in its web."

It's sort of like how Osama "ran away" while "using his wife as a shield" - both false claims, but used as propaganda to bestialize and dehumanize the target.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They are trying to make out that Gaddafi was hiding in the hole for a long time but really he only fled their after his convoy came under attack from french fighter planes in which most of his body guards were killed.
edit on 21-10-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Yes, there is a common thread to it.

It's the portrayal of these guys as cowards ("they ran and hid in a stinking hole!) and as a sort of comparison to vermin (as rats and such tend to live in these holes, too.)

Or maybe it's the fact that, when under fire or the subject of a manhunt, the safest place to be is concealed underground. If something from the air had shot at my convoy and I was being chased by armed rebels, I'd hide in a culvert. Overhead protection, only two ways in, and anyone who tries to grab me gets shot by my golden pistol.

Note the term used for Saddam's hideout was "spiderhole." What the hell is a "spiderhole?" Has this term EVER been used outside of reference to Saddam Hussein?

Yes. Search Google Groups or Google Books for "spiderhole" or "spider hole" before 2003, and you'll find hundreds of results. Here's one posted to alt.cuddle by The Lightning Man in 1994:

Unbeknownst to you, I lay secluded in a five-foot deep spiderhole, with a trapdoor on top, watching you come closer. You could be right on top of me and still not see my hiding place.

I wait for you to walk past, humming a happy song by Erasure (or whatever you may listen to. I just like Erasure). Then, fast as lightning, I flip back the trapdoor and leap out onto the trail.

This was posted by huptydeva on alt.religion.buddhism in 2001:

Two hundred meters away, facing the Marine trenches, there was an NVA sniper with a .50-caliber machine gun who shot at the marines from a tiny spider hole.

This was posted to bit.listserv.words-l in 1993. It's transcribed from Words of the Vietnam War:

*spider hole = single-man foxhole with a hinged roof for concealment,
used by VC for sniping and observation, usually linked to other holes
by an extensive tunnel complex, providing means of escape after sniping
attacks. Excellently camouflaged, resistive to air and artillery attacks.
A 'rat trap' was the term used by US soldiers to describe a two or
three-man spider hole.

Here's an excerpt from Life Magazine, July 7, 1941:

Out of a spider hole comes Private Robert R. James of Fort Ord. This replacement for a trench is an adaptions of a Chinese Army device plus an imitation of the trap door of a big California spider.

No. it's a propaganda term - it's a hole. He was hiding. The term "spider" is meant to convey both a variety of unpleasant vermin, and as an allusion to the accusation that he was a secret mastermind of the insurrection, "like a spider in its web."

The allusion is to the trapdoor spider, and it's no more propaganda than any of the other colorful metaphors used in the military.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Nice job guys! I like the balance we have on the thread so far keep it coming! I just have one more thing to add... I always heard it called a foxhole....

new topics

top topics

join