It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec. 21, 2012 The End?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I have a question. From what I know the mayans, and possibly others have predicted the date of dec 21 2012. Now I don't believe this is the end of the world, or anything will happen at all, but my question is, wouldn't the date the Mayans predicted come earlier than Dec 21, 2012 because of day light savings time? I thought they added a day to the calendar every 4 years. So whenever that was introduced, it would alter the actual day, right? This is my first thread, and I been thinking about this for awhile lol.

Thoughts anyone?
edit on 20-10-2011 by Otamad because: mitake

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Omg I've been waiting for someone to respond to this. lol I keep refreshing the page. But good point! VERY good point! Something like this takes some research that my brain doesn't feel like doing.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Otamad

I could be wrong but I think that this is part of the data for which Calleman came out with a date of October 28th 2011.

I don't think anything will happen either but I keep my eyes and ears open...

Also, I am sure Stereologist would have an answer to your question.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Lmao, I feel you man. Im supposed to be writing an essay right now but I felt like snoopin around ats, and after months of being an ats member, i finally figured out how to make a thread. So again i ask, anyone out there want to figure this one out?

not sure when they started adding days to the calendar, or if that is even true to begin with but...
4 years = 1 day
100 years = 25 days

1460 years = 365 days (1 year)

What is the date the mayans predicted this, and when did they start this daylight savings?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Its an interesting thought, but I doubt the exact date will matter to most people. When the SHTF it wont really matter if its a week early or a month late for those not prepared.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Otamad

I sure hope its the end
But as usual nothing will happen
Gotta keep living I guess....damn it

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mattime

I think the #'s already hitting the fan, just not in the way we might have expected.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I find it hilarious that all these people that discovered the Mayan calender and studied it overlooked the fact that it is engraved on a circle....

And a circle has no end...

Consider it might not have an end, only a new beginning

edit on 20-10-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The Mayan calendar is based on moon cycles and Venus cycles, which are not effected by daylight savings time.

DST was created in the last century as a way to save electricity and has no bearing on physical time at all.

There is no relationship between the two.

To take it one step further, December 21, 2012 has absolutely nothing to do with the end of the world. It marks the beginning of one cycle and the end of another. We are all transitioning out of the material cycle into the consciousness cycle where we shed our material ways and return to spirit.

Just look around and you'll likely see what I'm saying is true.

~Namaste

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Calendars are pretty weird because they try to do all sorts of different things. Here we have 2 very different calendars. One is the calendar we use. Now that is actually interesting since only some people use the Gregorian calendar. But that is the one I think most people are aware of. Understand that there are many calendars in use today such as the Hebrew calendar and the Chinese calendar and the Islamic calendar and the Julian calendar and probably lots of other calendars. We just get used to one calendar and forget about the others.

The Gregorian calendar is a calendar that is supposed to track the movement of the Earth around the Sun. We don't think of it that way, but that is what it does. The problem is that the way the Earth turns is not easy to relate to the time it takes for the Earth to go around the Sun.

A year is a little longer than 365 days. How do we know that? After a bit we notice that the longest and shortest days of the year are not on particular days of the calendar. The Sun is highest at noon on the longest day of the year and lowest in the sky at noon on the shortest day of the year.

So if the shortest day is supposed to be on December 21 and we think a year is 365 days, then we notice that the longest day is on December 22 in 4 years. In 8 years the longest day is on December 23. The goal is to have a calendar that has the longest day always on the same day.

To make that happen leap days are added. The problem is that the fraction of a day is not .25, it is .24. In 100 years we need to add 24 days, not 25 days. So every 100 years there is no leap year. There are further refinements as well.

So this is all about the Gregorian calendar. It is well worked out will be spot on for a long time.

The other calendar in question is the long count calendar used by the Mayans. It is different in that it is a day counter. There is no goal to match other astronomical issues. So the count is simple. It goes up and up without repetition.

The question with all calendars is how to relate a date in one with a date in another calendar. Calendars in use today are easy to relate. You can find out when Chinese New Year happens. You can find out when dates in the Hebrew calendar or the Islamic calendar occur. Eid al-fitr and Yom Kippur are determined by other calendars, but the Gregorian date is known.

The Mayan long count calendar is a bit harder to figure out since it was not in use when Europeans arrived. There is also evidence today that different Mayans cities did not agree on the count. Despite that efforts have been made to relate the long count calendar to the Gregorian calendar.

A method to match up different calendars is known as a correlation. The correlation most often used to match up the Gregorian calendar and the Long count is known as the GMT correlation. Notice that this correlation matches up the Gregorian calendar and the long count. Such a correlation addresses the fact that the Gregorian calendar and the long count are different types of calendars.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Calleman chose a date based on Lungold. The date they chose is not based on correlations. I believe they are still using the GMT correlation.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

There are many Mayan calendars. The long count calendar is a linear calendar. It is not a cyclical calendar as other Mayan calendars are.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What people normally claim is the Long Count, is not the Long Count. In fact it's not even Mayan. It is actually the Aztec Sun Calendar and it's a good way to determine which researchers have actually done any kind of legitimate research.

top topics

join