It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2nd Amendment,saved my life.... And it took someone else's.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

Man, could you & I sit and talk a while.The man that invaded our home was a career criminal. The man that invaded your home, was on his way to becoming the same thing. I second guessed my actions that night for a long time.

A deputy that I am still friendly with from that night told me a long time ago, just what some of you all said. I probally saved more than just me & my wife, that I probally saved others also, future victims he called it.

You sir probally did the same thing. Dark, knife, hoodie,breaking & entering, how could you have known who it was? what if you did not react? What if's will drive you insane. You & I are in a club we both don't want to be in.

The club of being forced to take some one else's life. Being forced to decide in the blink of an eye, do I pull the trigger or no. I have no words for you other than, What were you supposed to do, when put in that situation? You protected you & yours.

I later found out from the prosecuter of the second man, that we had been targeted for this home invasion. And that it was supposed to happen the weekend prior. The scary part is, I was out of state the weekend prior. My wife was home alone.

I worry no more of her being alone. She has learned to shoot, all the firearms in our home. She carries, everywhere she goes. She 's a better shot than me!!. We are not alone you & I. Theirs others like us. Who were forced to decide in a split second on a life threatening situation. I hope for the rest of our lives we never have to face that again. But I also feel if we do. We'll know exactly what to do. Good luck man, If you want to talk just private mail me. If I can help you out I will.
edit on 21-10-2011 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodLifeGodLike

I am more than proud of protecting my wife & family. I am not however proud that I took a life, no matter how miserable that life was.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I understand why you would feel the way you do regarding another life. However, the lives you saved (besides you and your wife) you'll never know. I imagine there were others before you who weren't so lucky.

I can't imagine being in your shoes. I do know how to shoot and have protection. If it came down to it, I would protect my children in a heartbeat.

If only every home (and family) were armed to protect themselves in a situation like yours, there would be less of those out there to protect ourselves from.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
You did the right thing.The people who did this were little more than savage wolves looking for easy prey. You put them down like the animals they are.

There is not a room in my house (except the back bathroom) that doesn't have a gun within five paces of anywhere in the room. Thankfully in Ky, we have the Castle Law.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by summer5
I understand why you would feel the way you do regarding another life. However, the lives you saved (besides you and your wife) you'll never know. I imagine there were others before you who weren't so lucky.

II never really put that much into I may have saved others. Not until now, reading these replies. Once again,my wonderful wife was right, : She said this would do me good to get it out there. She said it would help others.

When will I learn to listen to her. ]

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Let's hope none of us have it to deal with again. I would arm my back bathroom. Maybe small cal, revolver, plastic bag, toilet tank.????

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Let's hope none of us have it to deal with again. I would arm my back bathroom. Maybe small cal, revolver, plastic bag, toilet tank.????

If someone gets in my house, they have to make it past two 45 cal Glocks, two SCCY 9mm's, three AR-15's, three AK-47's with underfold stocks, a twelve guage, two .38 specials and a 44 Magnum before they make it all the way to the back bathroom. That's just what isn't in the gun safe.

I do hope I never am put in the situation you were in. I think the difference is where you had a split second to make the decision, I have already made it and know without a doubt that I will take a life to save my family. It is my belief that people who do these evil things are not human, therefore I have no conscience with killing them. I know it sounds harsh, but we live in a harsh world. I also know this makes me sound harsh, but in any other situation where my family is not in danger, I'm really just a big ol' teddy bear...Granted I'm a teddy bear with claws.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If there is ever a zombie outbreak in North America I trust that the neighborly Americans south of me would take care of the problem

hehe

sorry just wanted to make you guys smile.

Going through such things are traumatic. All that power behind such a small, hand held device, the power to take a life. What responsibility, eh?
The thing is when someone gets into a situation like a home invasion, there are only two options to choose from. Thats it. And the choice has to be made in a split decision, or you risk your own life.

You can't blame yourself for taking one of only two choices. It's not like you were put in that position willfully.

There are responsible gun owners, and then there are those, punks and stick up kids, criminals and drug dealers, who know the consequences, but choose to ignore them, when it comes to being responsible with gun ownership. And that mistakes usually costs a life - their own.

Kudos OP, to saving not only your family but other people in your area... he knew what he was doing with the gun, and so did you. The difference is, you were responsible with your use.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
reply to post by 1825114

Man, could you & I sit and talk a while.

Sorry, I'm not the one who wrote that, but I'll definitely pass the word on. Do you mind if I link to this thread?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

Not at all. IF what happened with me and mine can help others, I'll gladly help out. Peace.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

It is NOT your fault you protected your family...it is entirely on the career criminal. Thank you for sharing your story and for whatever pangs of concious you have, remember you saved your families lives. THEY are everything and the person who knows full well they may be killed commiting a crime is nothing. If they are killed, so be it. Protecting your family is the RIGHT THING TO DO. Thank you again.

CJ

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You were placed in that position by a bad man, a life-long criminal. It was he that set the actions in motion that got him shot and killed. Everyone has the right to feel safe and secure in their home. How dare some thug try to attack you and yours? I'm just glad you woke up in time to figure out what was happening and took the necessary steps to protect yourself and your family and home. He had it coming and you are blameless. But I can only imagine how hard it must be sometimes remembering that traumatic experience. I would have issues having taken a life I'm sure that's a tough thing to deal with, even though it was necessary. I also don't blame you for moving out of that house. I live in a rural area too with a long driveway so it was kind of eery for me reading your story, sounds similar to my set up. I'm pretty sure if I screamed out here no one would hear me, that's why I too am armed.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Of course you did the right thing, but I can imagine that it might be difficult to deal with afterwards. On one side, you had to protect your wife and yourself, on the other, you had to shoot someone. I guess it's easy for someone like myself to say I would do the same thing and not feel bad about it, but we can never know how an event like that will impact us without it actually happening.

Growing up, I lived out in the sticks, in a home that had been burglarized a couple times before I lived there. My step dad taught me how to shoot and properly maintain firearms at a young age. Fortunately, I never had to use a firearm for anything other than killing paper, clay pigeons or critters.

I would have done the same thing you did; thanks for sharing the story.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Good on you for doing the right thing. Not enough people out here willing to do what it takes to protect their family.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You did the right thing, no question AT ALL.

But i am very sad that some people live in countries where it's normal that shotgun-wielding thugs pull up on the front door to invade the house. HORRIBLE.

I have spent about a decade in the States - yes, i have seen hooded guys trying to break in our apt a few times, stolen car radios etc - now back in EU it's just something UNTHINKABLE. That's why i am sorry for you. I hope you at least moved into a safer area and feel safer in your own house now.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well done and sorry you had to undergo the trauma. I've never shot anyone but I have gone, gun in hand, to investigate alarming noises in the night while my wife collected the kids and stood by with the phone. I shoot about once a month and have conducted myself well in other life threatening situations but you never really know how you will react to armed men intent on doing you harm until you face them. You at least do now. I wouldn't expend too much guilt over shooting this guy. It sounds like he needed to be shot.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

I think it's the finality of the event. I've known a couple of cops who had to shoot bad guys and they replay the scene repeatedly in their mind trying to see if there was any way to avoid killing the perp. Most get over it with time and realize: A) the world is probably a better place without the perp, and B) the perp left them no choice but to shoot.

Despited what many on ATS believe, most cops are simply doing a job. They have families, goals, and aspirations just like anyone else. They buy groceries and go to the mall and take vacations just like anyone else. One thing they do different is most of them, unless in a very small town, don't live where they work. Of course to me that just seems like common sense.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Just a thank you for your words, THANK YOU. Peace.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Thank you for the kind words. I hope you never have to use your"safety". Peace.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
My thoughts are with you and yours. You did the right thing.

Imagine though, that if we had harsh gun laws, you would not have been armed and the criminal would have been.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join