It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I bring my dog or not?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I vote on taking the dog with you. If you go hungry for a while of time, the dog has enough calories to last you another month . And if you do not wish to eat your dog , maybe your not starving enough yet.

Bring your dog.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

He's not as big as a husky. He's a GSD on a chow's short legs lol. He's powerful, and he can walk forever, but he's just not going to be capable of hauling a deer up a mountain.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

SO carve the deer into chunks. Haul some your self, and let him drag some. It's not a race up the mountain, you know, it's getting up and going back for the stash you hauled up into the tree. It's survival, and nobody said it needed done all at once. You're going to be jerking that meat, aye?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I don't really butcher deer, my Dad does that. He would probably just drag a deer back, because he's tough (aka stubborn).

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Sorry, no dog. It has been over 25 years for me. I have a 25 year old cockatiel, so he and I will lay low "bugging in" for the most part

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
I guess the answer to that question depends:

If it's a chihuahua, don't bother.
If it's a rottweiler, absolutely !

+1 to that!

Thanks OP, you've inspired me to include Samson (See avatar left) in my preparations... He's very smart, protective when needed, friendly when not. I have no doubt he would be a valuable resource if SHTF.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
I guess the answer to that question depends:

If it's a chihuahua, don't bother.
If it's a rottweiler, absolutely !

My daughter's Chihuahua is a Mexican chihuahua she adopted on a trip to Mexico. She's about 18 pounds, tough, sturdy, and she keeps squirrels and birds out of my garden. My pit bull (female) is also bush trained, plus she is weight-pulling trained and can haul a wagon with my two little ones in it for a whole day. That easily translates into travois pulling.

robust chihuahuas have a place - they keep the littles happy and eat small vermin. That was their job before people bred them into bug-eyed shaking nightmares....

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
I vote on taking the dog with you. If you go hungry for a while of time, the dog has enough calories to last you another month . And if you do not wish to eat your dog , maybe your not starving enough yet.

Bring your dog.

Shocking and sick, but absolutely true.

And to the masters/owners (or human companions) who love the animals too much to eat them, you can be assured that once you die they won't have any hesitation in eating you to survive.

WHAT THE DONNER PARTY ATE IN FINAL DAYS ...After eating the family dogs and other animal meat, some members ate bones, hides, twigs and string...

news.discovery.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

How do you feel about cats,I don't have a dog?
They do alert their mama when something is
not right.They have never been outside and they
have been pampered and spoiled.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Dogs have been proven to lower stress. In a time of extreme crisis I would totally bring my dog along. He is useless though, my big dumb bulldog. But he is very protective, I guess he'd attack if I was harmed... only one way to find out!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
We own 3 dogs, all huge.
Titan who is a 154lb English Mastiff, J.C. a 133lb Rottweiler and Maximus a 188lb Great Dane.
I cannot stand small dogs, so I'll be taking thse guys with me and should things get REALLY bad, there's enough meat on just one to last at least a little while lmao.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Suppose y'all have never seen Harlan Ellison's 1975 survivalist classic:"A boy and his dog"????????????
Kids; I tell ya'

I "own" my pets I'm responsible for them.I have some food put away for them too..

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Yea i would def bring a dog if i had one .

The good far out weighs the bad

and you can also eat the dog when everything else is dry

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
My Terriers are natural hunters. If anything is in the yard or on my property they alert me with a different type of bark and air sniffing in the direction of the intruder.

In fact just the other night we had a Possum on the Property and in following his lead and illuminating the area he was signaling to ...there it was. right where he'd had pointed it out to be.

Regardless of the size of the dog they all have much better hearing and sense of smell than we do.

if we were both hungry, that Possum would've been Dinner !

They would work perfectly in a bug out SHTF scenario where one is trying to live off the land to be used for tracking deer and such.

Just as they had done in ancient times and why they became domesticated.and partners with mankind.

PEACE

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

No way, I have 4 dogs that I've trained together. Now they act as a pack, and will do whatever I say. I'd take them anywhere I know they'd follow.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Basset Hounds are good rabbit dogs. The fact that they are slow means the rabbit can be worked back. If the dog runs a rabbit too fast, they will hit the first hole. But they tend to lead whatever is behind them away from the nest and circle back around. When we had hunting dogs, when a rabbit was jumped I would stay there and wait. sonner or later it would come back and I was there to say "hello"

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join